Widgets Magazine

Thread: 320 NW 11th

Midtown 320 NW 11th

This is an abandoned Midtown Renaissance property just north of Bleu Garten where Desmond Mason will be creating a huge abstract mural:

Default Re: 320 NW 11th

Public art by a local artist? Count me in!

It sounds like he will be doing the entire building, not just one exposure.

From his Twitter account: "The Journey Begins!!!! My new canvas is 2 - 65yrd walls and 2 - 20yrd walls, that are 20ft high!"

Not to careen this off topic, I can't find the thread. But whatever happened to the mural on the grain silo by the river. Me and a lot of other people donated money, and all that's been done is a big pale green wall. No activity in forever that I can tell.

Did this already go through design review?

Or because it is just paint does it not have to?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Not to careen this off topic, I can't find the thread. But whatever happened to the mural on the grain silo by the river. Me and a lot of other people donated money, and all that's been done is a big pale green wall. No activity in forever that I can tell.
    I doubt it'll ever get done. The guy painting it had issues with Wayne Coyne on one of his ventures about finances IIRC. His name was Rick Stennet I think, but It wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't already left town.
    Just a guess, no facts here.

7. Default Re: 320 NW 11th

He hasn't left town. I ran into him a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It sounds like he will be doing the entire building, not just one exposure.

From his Twitter account: "The Journey Begins!!!! My new canvas is 2 - 65yrd walls and 2 - 20yrd walls, that are 20ft high!"
    He is doing the entire building and plans to begin painting soon. He estimates it will take several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Did this already go through design review?

Or because it is just paint does it not have to?
    It has not gone through design review and I believe that is a necessary step.

I think Downtown OKC Inc donated $10,000. You'd think he would be getting a lot of pressure to complete this. I donated and remember getting an e-mail saying stencils were done.

I am very excited to see what comes of this.. I love seeing local art in the streets.

as for the mural on the silo.. last I heard it had began. and that was many months ago. they did start at the bottom of the north side and there is maybe 20 feet of the bottom that you can see has started.. but then nothing more. I wish it would get done because I love the piece.

12. Default Re: 320 NW 11th

If you need to know, then contact him. Art takes time and at this scale I am sure he has run in to a few set backs. There are also corporate sponsors involved in this art project, so I am sure they will hold him too it. He has many other projects around the state and as an artist needs to continue making art so he can provide for a family.

siloartproject

This new project is great for Midtown and Desmond Mason. I am not a huge fan of his work, but I really love this idea. We need more partnerships like this in our city. Artists working with Developers is a match made in heaven.

Blog Entries

Sinnett has done huge murals in Norman very recently while ignoring the silo. Those could have just gone in his queue instead of jumping ahead. As a contributor, I'm very frustrated. At this point I'd rather contribute again and give it to Desmond (to do the silo instead) rather than have Sinnett "give in" and finally give us what we paid for. If he doesn't want to prioritize many thousands of people per day seeing his art from the highway, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Sinnett has done huge murals in Norman very recently while ignoring the silo. Those could have just gone in his queue instead of jumping ahead. As a contributor, I'm very frustrated. At this point I'd rather contribute again and give it to Desmond (to do the silo instead) rather than have Sinnett "give in" and finally give us what we paid for. If he doesn't want to prioritize many thousands of people per day seeing his art from the highway, so be it.
    I'm frustrated too. A lot of people donated money to that project, including Downtown OKC, Inc.

I checked it out and there is a Facebook page for Silo art project.. no real updates on it however.

Someone should setup a time lapse camera on this. Would be awesome to see it come to life! Here is a recent video profile for his work.

I was lucky enough to buy a couple pieces of his early in the game when prices were a bit lower. I enjoy them every time I look at them. I'm loving his new stuff though and so having a building to look at every day will be a little bit like having another Mason hanging on my wall.

18. Default Re: 320 NW 11th

Seems like this has deviated quite a bit from the discussion of Mason's proposed mural, and maybe those posts should be moved to the appropriate thread, but I spoke with DOKC staff today about the silo project. They indicated first that they had recently gotten an update from Rick. His project was delayed a bit by the recent staff climbing accident at Rocktown (covered in the media). The gym was re-evaluating all of their procedures, etc., and in the interim Rick's team was unable to work on the outside of the building. They recently got the green light to get back after it. That said, they said he still intended to meet the completion timeline he had discussed with them all along, which was by the end of 2015. They were clearly not concerned.

I still think this building could be an amazing bar, or, better yet, a diner.

Blog Entries

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

Thanks for the video.. was a great piece on Desmond.

He is a gem for our city.

Thread Information