Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urban Outfitters

Default Re: Urban Outfitters

I remember going to the one that opened in Santa Monica in the 90's.

Don't think I've been in one since.

I love UO when I was 18. The store on Guadalupe in Austin was great. Haven't been to once since I was about 25 though back in 06.

Interesting. I liked Urban Outfitters 15 years ago when I was in high school, but I don't hear about at all anymore. I'm way outside their target demographic now, so I wasn't sure if it's just that I became "the man," or if the kids have moved on.

I'm sure it still has its place for the late teen/early 20s market. I know my younger sister bought a bunch of stuff for her first apartment from there a few years back.

UO has been going downhill for some time.

Urban Outfitters loses its fashion groove - CBS News

It doesn't help that they've tried to boost sales by ginning up controversy. They've pretty much offended every group out there. I remember when they tried to sell Kent State sweatshirts with fake blood stains on it or the "Ghettopoly" board game...classy.

Retailers that try to cater to teens like UO, Abecrombie, Aeropostale, American Eagle, etc. are all doing poorly right now. While I personally would never shop at them, I think American Apparel and H&M are more in tune with older millennial customers.

A cynical part of me believes they are only now trying to expand in smaller markets as a survival strategy, not out of any respect toward the Tulsa/OKC market.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    A cynical part of me believes they are only now trying to expand in smaller markets as a survival strategy, not out of any respect toward the Tulsa/OKC market.
    It may be cynical, but it is accurate. You will see that a lot with national retailers on the back end of their life cycle. To maintain volumes or make up for their decline in their core markets, they have to open more doors just to look viable going forward. That means new markets to avoid saturating the already declining ones. In UO's case, its intended demographic basically views it as "that place my parents used to shop". It also seems that, among that age group, local and independent stores are more of a draw than they used to be, which eats into their market share across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    In UO's case, its intended demographic basically views it as "that place my parents used to shop". It also seems that, among that age group, local and independent stores are more of a draw than they used to be, which eats into their market share across the board.
    I don't think Urban Outfitters is quite to that point yet, though it won't be too many more years before that will be Abercrombie & Fitch. What you say is true though. Usually fad retailers start moving into small markets once past their peak, at least in terms of trendiness. RIght now is particularly troublesome for teen retail chains being that local and unique is in and brand logos are not.

Blog Entries

Not a UO fan. Agreed with Blue7 downtown. Yes please.

Does anybody know of Urban Outfitters is still interested in OKC? There was speculation that it would go into the Glimcher/Classen Curve development but that was years ago. The brand seems to have had a resurgence in recent years and is currently one of the most popular clothing stores with Millennial shoppers.

I haven't heard anything about them in quite a while.

Man I would love for an Urban to come to OKC. I stop by the one in Tulsa every time I'm in town.

Default Urban Outfitters

International retailer Urban Outfitters has been scouting locations in OKC for a while and has filed plans to move forward with a new store in Penn Square Mall.

Urban Outfitters promotes itself as a lifestyle company specializing in clothing, accessories and apartment products. Headquartered in Philadephia, UO has 250 stores in the U.S. and Europe.

Construction should start by the end of summer.

2007 me would have loved this, and I always wondered why we couldn't get a store. I am sure it will do well there!

They have evolved and continue to bring in lots of business.

I know they looked at the other big retail locations in OKC: Chisholm Creek, Classen Curve and probably Oak.

But Simon has them in many of their malls and no doubt made them a great deal. Will be a really good fit for Penn Square.

Is Chisholm creek ever going to get retail?

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    Is Chisholm creek ever going to get retail?
    Eventually.

I believe their next big thing will be a nice hotel.

I know that Lawrence Kansas and Tulsa have had a UO presence for many years. I shopped at the North Park Mall in Dallas many years ago, however it no longer fits my demographic age, lol. It seems it has added to their offerings and merchandising products and is reinventing itself.

FINALLY! Another H&M would go well in PSM. (also too young for me but brand recognition)

^I agree, I would love an H&M at Penn Square. As is, it’s the only reason my wife and I go to Quail Springs. Otherwise, Penn Square is around 2 miles from our house so we do any other shopping there yet H&M is still one of the top stores we visit.

I think UO will be a good fit. I know they aren’t viewed the way they once were but I still like them and can see myself stopping here fairly often when at PS. Another store that I would like to see come is Zara.

20. Default Re: Urban Outfitters

Back in Philly, I had an UO near my little apt in Univ City. I loved that store but alas, 30 years ago I could not afford it. Now I can, but just not my age range. LoL
    Same with H&M

Work has started on Urban Outfitters at Penn Square:

The UO website says this store will open in March of 2024.

Urban Outfitters is now open in Penn Square:

2005 me would be all over that! I'll definitely still check it out, though.

25. Default Re: Urban Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    2005 me would be all over that! I'll definitely still check it out, though.
    I second this remark!

Thread Information