Thread: OG&E Energy Center

Far North OG&E Energy Center

$553 million
    architect=Robert A.M. Stern Architects
    height=2 25-story office towers; 2 26-story residential
    acreage=6.5 acres
    Attached parking and retail

Information & Latest News

7/26/13: "As for those who question whether Rainey Williams is just a front, and question his capacity for doing this development, well, you don't know Rainey Williams." http://newsok.com/article/3866278

1/7/15: New TIF District would fund OG&E HQ, convention garage and hotel
    http://newsok.com/proposed-project-c...rticle/4987881

1/11/16: It became apparent that someone didn't know Rainey Williams. http://newsok.com/oge-energy-center-...rticle/5471877

Links

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew19.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	9255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew18.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	9256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew17.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	9257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew16.jpg 
Views:	755 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	9258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew15.jpg 
Views:	767 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	9259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew9.jpg 
Views:	2189 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	9260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew6.jpg 
Views:	7579 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	9261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew5.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	9262  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew4.jpg 
Views:	1476 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	9263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew3.jpg 
Views:	4370 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	9264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stagenew2.jpg 
Views:	3042 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	9265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ogeaerial.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	9920  

Default Re: Possible New Development South of Stage Center

Clayco -- the design / build firm we first reported to be hired by Rainey Williams -- is proposing a development on the pink and blue properties below.

The City is saying they want to issue an RFP (responses due in 60 days) and consider all proposals before making a decision, as there are other interested parties.

In early. LETS GOOOOO

BTW, I don't know what James Dunn plans to do with his property on this block but the City could use eminent domain to make it available for a developer who would like to include it in their larger plan.

Not saying this would happen, but it means that any potential developer knows that they don't have to depend on Dunn voluntarily selling in order to include that property in their plans.

Who said OKC is dead.......smh

If this property was developed, it makes the existing plaza between it and the OG&E HQ pretty irrelevant and an opportunity to return it to a street; or at the very least serve as a link between the two developments.

Also, what now for the Arts Festival? Seems like an easy solution would be to move it to Sheridan and make better use of Devon's outdoor space.

Even more reason why California Ave should be re-opened. We need to be breaking up these super blocks as fast as we can.

Why not include what they wanna do on this part of the block on the stage center site? Seems like a waste of space. I'm excited for this entire block to be developed, but just seems like this could all be built on the stage center foot print. Unless if its a massive development, but I don't believe that.

This is Jim Couch's memo to the City Council:

DATE: JULY 15, 2014
    TO: THE MAYOR AND MEMBERS OF THE CITY COUNCIL
    SUBJECT: DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY AT RENO AND HUDSON

National developer Clayco, is planning a new class “A” corporate headquarters for OG&E on the former Stage Center site owned by Kestrel Investments at 400 West Sheridan Avenue (North Block). The City and the Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust (OCEDT) own most of the block south of the former Stage Center property (South Block). The development team working on the OG&E Project has recognized an opportunity to do a more significant project by including the South Block in the current planning and design process. Combining the blocks offers the possibility of the construction of a larger parking structure and enhanced mixed use development. Due to the significant economic benefit of the larger development opportunity, The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City would like to engage in a process to determine the feasibility of this and to do so in a way that is in the best interest of The City.

Why are the City and Trust involved?
    • The City currently owns approximately half of the South Block, with OCEDT owning most of the remaining half of the block (see attached)
    • The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority (OCURA) is the public agency typically used by the City to carry out redevelopment plans.
    • OCURA can issue an RFP in anticipation of the City and OCEDT transferring properties to OCURA for redevelopment purposes.

Proposed Process:
    • OCURA will consider a resolution authorizing the issuance of an RFP at its July 16, 2014 meeting. The RFP will state that selection and designation of a redeveloper is contingent upon the transfer of the land from the City and OCEDT. Interested parties will be given 60 days to respond.
    • The process to transfer the land from the City and OCEDT will take place over the next two months.
    • Identify a conditional redeveloper and agree on a schedule to implement the South Block development plan.

The City/OCEDT property at Reno Avenue and Hudson Avenue presents a significant development opportunity and it is advantageous to determine if other developers will submit proposals. The plan to transfer the property to OCURA and accept proposals will allow consideration of redevelopment options through a tested, transparent process. Please contact me if you have further questions.

James D. Couch
    City Manager

I'm feeling all sorts of justified about my continued optimism regarding the stage center tower. Also a little smug.

Since that memo is dated next Tuesday, does that mean there'll be some amount of discussion about this at the city council meeting that day? (Assuming there is one, at least, do they meet every Tuesday?)

One more edit: In case anyone missed the discussion of this in the stage center tower thread, Clayco's portfolio can be viewed here.

Clayco cant just build the OGE tower higher and bigger to include this mixed use that they want on the south? There is plenty of space on the stage center block to make it work. But why control one block when you can control two...

And I could see some serious legal issues to eminent domain-ing the Dunn property to transfer to another developer.

Steve's article, including the answer to my city council question.

City Manager Jim Couch also is expected to present a report on the potential development at Tuesday’s meeting of the Oklahoma City Council.

Actually, the eminent domain issue has been used many times for this exact type of purpose, but it appears that property has been -- at least for now -- excluded from the RFP.

Although the idea of developing this property is enticing, I'm conflicted.

1. This could mean a better development on the Stage Center site plus something great to the south.

or

2. It could be nothing more than doubling the footprint of an already disappointing development and in the process taking yet another prime piece of downtown property.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is Jim Couch's memo to the City Council:

DATE: JULY 15, 2014
    TO: THE MAYOR AND MEMBERS OF THE CITY COUNCIL
    SUBJECT: DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY AT RENO AND HUDSON

National developer Clayco, is planning a new class “A” corporate headquarters for OG&E on the former Stage Center site owned by Kestrel Investments at 400 West Sheridan Avenue (North Block). The City and the Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust (OCEDT) own most of the block south of the former Stage Center property (South Block). The development team working on the OG&E Project has recognized an opportunity to do a more significant project by including the South Block in the current planning and design process. Combining the blocks offers the possibility of the construction of a larger parking structure and enhanced mixed use development. Due to the significant economic benefit of the larger development opportunity, The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City would like to engage in a process to determine the feasibility of this and to do so in a way that is in the best interest of The City.

Why are the City and Trust involved?
    • The City currently owns approximately half of the South Block, with OCEDT owning most of the remaining half of the block (see attached)
    • The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority (OCURA) is the public agency typically used by the City to carry out redevelopment plans.
    • OCURA can issue an RFP in anticipation of the City and OCEDT transferring properties to OCURA for redevelopment purposes.

Proposed Process:
    • OCURA will consider a resolution authorizing the issuance of an RFP at its July 16, 2014 meeting. The RFP will state that selection and designation of a redeveloper is contingent upon the transfer of the land from the City and OCEDT. Interested parties will be given 60 days to respond.
    • The process to transfer the land from the City and OCEDT will take place over the next two months.
    • Identify a conditional redeveloper and agree on a schedule to implement the South Block development plan.

The City/OCEDT property at Reno Avenue and Hudson Avenue presents a significant development opportunity and it is advantageous to determine if other developers will submit proposals. The plan to transfer the property to OCURA and accept proposals will allow consideration of redevelopment options through a tested, transparent process. Please contact me if you have further questions.

James D. Couch
    City Manager

They already have Stage Center Photo Shopped out like its just a grassy knoll.

The article by Steve is updated with more information. This is going to be a large development next to the new tower, and will not affect the 16 - 18 story OG & E tower. From reading the article, we might see our first new mixed-use high rise. And depending on if hotel is developed and how many rooms, it could impact the development of the convention center hotel.

Might. I'm not holding my breath. Wow me so I can lose some of the huge regret I have over the Stage Center destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    The article by Steve is updated with more information. This is going to be a large development next to the new tower, and will not affect the 16 - 18 story OG & E tower. From reading the article, we might see our first new mixed-use high rise. And depending on if hotel is developed and how many rooms, it could impact the development of the convention center hotel.
    That's not what the updated article says at all, unless I'm just missing the part you are talking about.

“What happens in the future will have a huge impact on our site,” Chapman said. “Pete Delaney (CEO of OGE Energy Corp.) is very interested in seeing something next door that is very nice, He said if it’s available, let’s look at it and have something much bigger, something that is mixed use. We’re talking about doing something that is far bigger, far more robust.
    Chapman said any potential development of the south half of the block would not result in dropping the previously announced 16- to 18-story height of the OGE Energy Corp. tower. Chapman said an expanded development likely will include housing and a hotel.
    “Everyone wants to see more height here, and that’s a good goal to have,” Chapman said.
    Not dropping the height is not the same thing as not affecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    You can't seriously believe that can you? I'll be shocked if this is taller than 10 stories and that includes the parking parage. I really think they are still just trying to take advantage of the parking shortage, so will have 5 or so floors of parking and on top of that will stick 4-5 stories of hotel on one side & will stick 4-5 stories of housing on the other side. There will probably be retail on the bottom floor. There is absolutely 0% chance this will be a "high rise".

I hope Larry Nichols is disappointed everyday when he has to look at what he allowed. He is one of the primary reasons the Stage Center was torn down, as all he has to do is lift or point a finger and the city rushes to do his bidding. If this development doesn't knock it out of the park, I just hope he and the city experience significant regret. I'm not usually a bitter person, but this disaster makes me angry and bitter.

I think this will end up being a high rise. I agree with G.Walker...

Quote Originally Posted by modernism View Post
    I think this will end up being a high rise. I agree with G.Walker...
    Clayco built a 30 story mixed use residential high rise in St. Louis.

http://www.claycorp.com/p/329/the-plaza-in-clayton/

Remember, the original Stage Center renderings indicated potential for a hotel and/or a residential tower.

So why now do we need two blocks to add these things?

My worry is this is more about parking than anything else. They had already planned a bunch more than was needed for a 16-18 tower, parking is in very short supply downtown... And especially since this is now to stretch all the way to Reno, the convention center will be very nearby and we know they haven't addressed their parking issues.

My concern is that we end up with a massive parking garage and a few mid-rise towers.

BTW, where is Rainey Williams in all this?

It sounds more and more like Clayco has taken the lead here.

I'm a little surprised that the Clayco confirmation came out before the demolition finished, I was expecting them to wait on that announcement a bit longer in order to limit the bad PR a bit. Then again, it's not like anyone who cares about the stage center isn't already paying attention.

I am expecting some serious residential development to take place, and dare I say, enough to make other cities envious.

Thread Information