Widgets Magazine
Page 48 of 109 FirstFirst ... 434445464748495051525398 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2713

Thread: OG&E Energy Center

Default Re: OG&E Energy Center

And let's not forget this project, the City has requested Clayco to make modifications to their design, and the TIF issue.

What kind of modifications to the design has the city requested Clayco make?

BUMP! Any new info on this project?

The City is deep in negotiations with Clayco on possible public incentives, which would likely include a new TIF district.

Until that is settled, the project can't move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    BUMP! Any new info on this project?
    I think the OCURA meeting is January 21. We could know more at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    This picture SCREAMS of the lack of density we still need despite all the great development lately. This was most likely a good use of demolition, however I think tearing down historic mainstream and forcing out tenants is a bad use of demolition for "progress".

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    This picture SCREAMS of the lack of density we still need despite all the great development lately. This was most likely a good use of demolition, however I think tearing down historic mainstream and forcing out tenants is a bad use of demolition for "progress".
    This only re-enforces the position that there is no need to demolish historic structures when there is still so much vacant land and surface parking in OKC.

But the residential towers are going to have great views of those parking lots....

9. Default Re: OG&E Energy Center

i just wonder why we need to have connected parking garages in order for corporations to be happy being downtown. Why can't they adopt the true downtown feel and build UP the city while letting employees chose where to park?

The city should encourage parking garages in EMPTY lots (like the Main Street project, which was executed perfectly); instead of allowing corporations to tear down buildings and get their own exclusive (and connected). I say, if you want connected then bury it underground or have it above ground no less than 2 times the footprint of your tower. This is what I'm waiting for particularly from out-of-state developers, as this is how it's done in other cities so why are they half stepping in OKC?

The Devon garages are ridiculous IMO - even though they do fill the mid-rise nicely but what a horrible waste of space that otherwise could have been reopened Main Street and retail frontage while still having the garages (being smaller and more underground). ... Despite the wonderful Devon Tower, the nearly 3 square block Devon campus doesn't even have enough space for its employees nevermind any expansion in its completed model. Yet in other cities, you can build more than 3 Devon Towers in 3 square blocks and likely have enough parking and retail to make serious cash if executed better than what we have.

Not complaining (as what's done is done) but I hope we get out of the downtown corporate campus mentality (or at least minimize them to no larger than half a square block. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: OG&E Energy Center

You do realize that most of downtown is still in the historical riverbed of the Okla. River. You can't go too far down before striking water.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    You do realize that most of downtown is still in the historical riverbed of the Okla. River. You can't go too far down before striking water.
    But obviously that can be accomplished if the desire is there.

12. Default Re: OG&E Energy Center

Sure, you can build a bathtub in the sand if you have the money and desire but why do this when you can build up? Even in your pic, it looks like they've only gone down 1 - maybe 2 floors. Not like the 10 floors Cityplace in Dallas went down. I think that's what a lot of posters are thinking we should do in OKC.

Sure, you can build a bathtub in the sand if you have the money and desire but why do this when you can build up? Even in your pic, it looks like they've only gone down 1 - maybe 2 floors. Not like the 10 floors Cityplace in Dallas went down. I think that's what a lot of posters are thinking we should do in OKC.
    No, I don't think anyone here is saying that at all. Most would be very pleased with a couple of floors below ground level and then a few more above ground level before starting the office building above it. Your post implied that the water level would make below ground parking unfeasible which, of course, isn't true.

I would love to see 10 floors underground, but as ljbab above stated, even if it was two or three, that would be awesome. It would help and that coupled with disguising the buildings as Sid showed what they do in Seattle would go a long ways.

No it was not, the river meandered around near SW 15th.

16. Default Re: OG&E Energy Center

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    No it was not, the river meandered around near SW 15th.

I think you two are using "historical" differently. mugofbeer should have said, "the prehistoric riverbed," which was true. Everything south of basically NW 6th Street is on the floodplain, which, in pre-modern times, saw the river come and go with some frequency as it meandered about.

17. Default Re: OG&E Energy Center

thanks for the assist.

So how much will Clayco end up getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So how much will Clayco end up getting?
    We don't know yet; they have yet to put in a formal request.

But they seem to be first in line for the new TIF gravy train.

Lets just get on with the construction. These buildings will pay for themselves over time.

Either way it doesn't matter because the developers aren't taking on any real risk.

Typo alert. Sheer scale, not shear scale.

So is there anything new to report here?

Was wondering the same thing. Somebody in the Mystery Tower thread hinted that much of this proposal is now in question including both residential towers. What is surely going to get built and what may be placed on hold/cancelled?

Thread Information