Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedestrian Homicides and Casualties [OKC]

Default Pedestrian Homicides and Casualties [OKC]

Local entrepreneur Jack McClung was killed Sunday by an automobile. He earned a reputation for his pain relief products, which he advertised with infomercials nationally. I'm told he donated millions to a favorite local church. He choose to live humbly in the same building he worked out of on 23rd Street. He was killed on his way back from a grocery run to Braum's. This is a tragic end to a life well lived. If you know anything about the incident please report it to OKC Crime Stoppers, 235-7300. Any vehicle with recent body damage should be considered suspicious. I will be updating this thread with future pedestrian and cyclist collisions as a way to draw attention to these crimes and hopefully get more prosecutions from the DA.

Name:  jackmcclungpic1.png
Views: 386
Size:  104.1 KB
    Jack McClung, killed by driver while crossing the street

Default Re: Pedestrian Homicides and Casualties [OKC]

Why is any vehicle with recent damage to be considered suspicious?

The vehicle described in the media was black and red, a sedan and would be expected to have both windshield damage and a busted driver window.
    That seems enough information to exclude the majority of vehicles in the metro. I'd hate for those looking for the driver who ran this man down and left the scene to waste even a minute time checking out yellow SUV's or any color mini van or trucks in general.

No to minimize the loss but I read he was not in a marked crosswalk so the vehicle was really only guilty of fleeing the scene unless some other illegal traffic action is uncovered during the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    No to minimize the loss but I read he was not in a marked crosswalk so the vehicle was really only guilty of fleeing the scene unless some other illegal traffic action is uncovered during the investigation.
    "only guilty of fleeing the scene" ?????? That's the worst thing a person could do. Stop, and maybe save his life. Drive away and crucial time passes and he dies. The RUN in "Hit & Run" is sometimes the death of the person. Not always, and maybe not in this case, but we shouldn't ever say "only guilty of fleeing the scene."

........wait......in my opinion!

Double post. Sorry.

Leaving the scene of a personal injury accident is a felony. An argument can be made for a felony murder charge but may be an issue of timing as the commission of the felony occurred after the accident that caused the death. Would need to look at the case law a little closer but I think it could be argued either way. Curious what Kevin, Hoya or any of the other JD's think.

Fleeing the scene is, as Jeep notes, a felony. depending on evidence developed, there may or may not be other charges that are felony level.

Unless the driver's conduct that led to striking the pedestrian can be treated as a felony, the non-intentional death resulting from the driver's conduct would likely end up being charged as involuntary manslaughter.

As always, charging decisions will rest with the DA office.

Generally in the past if the pedestrian is not in the cross walk and the driver is not committing a traffic infraction the fault lies with the jaywalking pedestrian. When not in a cross walk and you get hit the driver if they stop they most likely will not be and should not be charged. Oh and the driver is only required to stop. IIRC the felony murder rule has never been used in a case like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Why is any vehicle with recent damage to be considered suspicious?
    My understanding is that the vehicle description was released shortly after my initial post.

Generally in the past if the pedestrian is not in the cross walk and the driver is not committing a traffic infraction the fault lies with the jaywalking pedestrian. When not in a cross walk and you get hit the driver if they stop they most likely will not be and should not be charged. Oh and the driver is only required to stop. IIRC the felony murder rule has never been used in a case like this.
    Unless they were going 55 in a 35 mph zone. A manslaughter charge would go along with that speeding ticket. No crosswalk doesn't make it open season on pedestrians.

While he may not have crossed at an appropriate spot, there are a lot of places where it is expected and proper place for a pedestrian to cross the street is not marked as a crosswalk. You sound like you wanted him hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    While he may not have crossed at an appropriate spot, there are a lot of places where it is expected and proper place for a pedestrian to cross the street is not marked as a crosswalk. You sound like you wanted him hit.
    Sounds like me that the meaning was just that a pedestrian can be and often is at fault in an accident. That is a big leap to suggest that someone wanted him hit.

Pedestrians are at fault in many cases where they get hit Bicycles are even worse traffic scofflaws. I don't want anybody hit but if you are crossing mid-block aka jaywalking I will NOT feel sorry, or shed any tears if you do get hit.

Pedestrians are at fault in many cases where they get hit Bicycles are even worse traffic scofflaws. I don't want anybody hit but if you are crossing mid-block aka jaywalking I will NOT feel sorry, or shed any tears if you do get hit.
    Wow. That's a big heart. It's not like jaywalking is akin to armed robbery. I imagine everyone here, including you, have "jaywalked" at one time or another. I think speeding automobiles and people not paying attention while they're driving are far more of a safety hazard versus somebody "jaywalking." But, you'd shed no tears if one got hit?

Are you a police officer?

The closest crosswalk to that Braum's is about a 1/4 mile west at Meridian. The next closest to the east is at Portland, and Ann Arbor to the west. There are a lot of residences and a lot of businesses on both sides of 23rd St. in that 1-1/2 mile stretch. Where are the pedestrians supposed to cross 23rd?.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I imagine everyone here, including you, have "jaywalked" at one time or another.
    You bet but I paid attention and did not have my head up my keister when I did so. If you pay attention it can be done w/o getting yourself squashed. And no I do not have much sympathy for folks who contribute to their own bad situation.

I jaywalk all the time here.... but I don't run in front of traffic. I see jaywalking on a regular basis, but booooooooooy if you do that in SanFran, they'll get you for it. I've done in front of cops here and they didn't care. Hell, I've seen them do it!

You bet but I paid attention and did not have my head up my keister when I did so. If you pay attention it can be done w/o getting yourself squashed. And no I do not have much sympathy for folks who contribute to their own bad situation.
    Well, we can all hope to be so perfect, by the book, and mistake free. It cost this man his life, so I guess he just got what he deserved? He was 79.

a 79 year old man was struck and killed by someone who didn't have the common courtesy to even stop. I am beside myself at your response. the guy who killed him was 21 years old

Arrest made in hit-and-run death of Oklahoma City inventor Jack McClung | News OK!

The age of the idiot and the age of the driver has no bearing to intelligent and educated folks. If you are a jaywalker and get creamed you are a Darwin Award winner nothing more or less. The fact he invented something that a minority consider a cure and many consider a FRAUD means nothing. He is nothing more than another pedestrian that got smacked. The term road debris comes to mind.

The age of the idiot and the age of the driver has no bearing to intelligent and educated folks. If you are a jaywalker and get creamed you are a Darwin Award winner nothing more or less. The fact he invented something that a minority consider a cure and many consider a FRAUD means nothing. He is nothing more than another pedestrian that got smacked. The term road debris comes to mind.
    Of all my time here at OKCTalk, I don't think I've ever read a post that is as disrespectful and horrible as this.

23. Default Re: Pedestrian Homicides and Casualties [OKC]

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I jaywalk all the time here.... but I don't run in front of traffic. I see jaywalking on a regular basis, but booooooooooy if you do that in SanFran, they'll get you for it. I've done in front of cops here and they didn't care. Hell, I've seen them do it!
    Actually, lots of people in OKC get jaywalking tickets (and its not cheap). Also tickets for walking the wrong way on the side of the road. I see them in the reports on a very regular basis.

maaaaaaan... I hope none of his family ever reads this...

That's a little harsh Mustang.... :/

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Actually, lots of people in OKC get jaywalking tickets (and its not cheap). Also tickets for walking the wrong way on the side of the road. I see them in the reports on a very regular basis.
    What do you mean walking the wrong way on the road? On the actual road itself or the sidewalks? I thought it was illegal to walk along roads and highways period.

Thread Information