Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    To me this looks like good strategy. Finally. They seem to be shutting down the older, poorly performing stores and investing in major upgrades to other stores. I think we can expect some good news for 18th and Classen. The article also specifically mentions $1 million renovations for two of their better stores. In the end, I think we'll see a Homeland with fewer stores, finally closing the older stores and - pardon the cliche - ending up with a leaner, meaner grocery operation.
    Yeah the Edmond location closing is one of those stores like the 122nd and May store....very dated and depressing. I am really surprised they have made it this long with Wal-Mart a mile north and Crest a mile south. I really like what they've done with the store at 122nd and Rockwell and with 1 million more in renovation, it should end up pretty solid. I really hope they invest in their 18th and Classen store.

With the closing of this store, pretty much all of the worst ones in the metro will be gone with the exception of the 18th and Classen store.

I continue to shop at the 18th & Classen location as it's just so darn convenient. And, there isn't really anything better for miles.

Apart from the store being so incredibly dated, the other main issue is it's just so cramped. The aisles are narrow to begin with then they stack stuff all over the place. In most areas you can barely get your cart through and if there is anyone else around, you have to ask them to move their cart or wait for them to pass.

They just have stuff crammed everywhere.

And I have to say their employees all act like they don't want to be there.

I don't want to complain too much because I would be super bummed if they closed down here, but man on man is that location badly maintained and managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I continue to shop at the 18th & Classen location as it's just so darn convenient. And, there isn't really anything better for miles.

Apart from the store being so incredibly dated, the other main issue is it's just so cramped. The aisles are narrow to begin with then they stack stuff all over the place. In most areas you can barely get your cart through and if there is anyone else around, you have to ask them to move their cart or wait for them to pass.

They just have stuff crammed everywhere.

And I have to say their employees all act like they don't want to be there.

I don't want to complain too much because I would be super bummed if they closed down here, but man on man is that location badly maintained and managed.
    I agree with this. I go to the Homeland at 18th and Classen when I can because it is so convenient and also I want to support it because I would hate for it to close down being that you have to drive to NW Expressway for anything better.

However, as soon as a better grocer exists in the urban core, I will stop going there. If they want to remodel it, now is the time as in 3-5 years its likely it will have competition and they won't be able to keep customers with the store in the state that it is currently in.

It's my go-to as well but I get so frustrated about things like: decent bread, they have 12 different kinds of grape jelly but only 1 jam, better eggs. I would dream of buying protein there. There's always someone arguing about what hot line deli items they are trying to buy are covered by wic or access. It's just such a mess, and despite my attempt at a cheerful disposition, everyone acts miserable. And gross guy who wears rubber gloves all day! Just wash your hands dude, those gloves are filthy and brown!
    Last edited by Uptowner; 11-16-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: *wouldn't dream

I agree.

If they don't remodel it soon, as soon as something else opens up in the urban core, the store will be done for. Currently, it survives off being the only grocery store for miles.

I don't know why Crest or Uptown Market have not shown any greater interest in opening a store in the urban core.

The only time it's tolerable is when nobody is in there, then you can actually move through the store, get the essentials, and get the heck out.

But I was in around 5:30PM and there were only about 20 shoppers yet it made the shopping experience pretty terrible. Could barely walk through the place, the employees seemed extra miserable (starting from a pretty high misery index to begin with) and I stood in line forever to buy just a few things.

Plus, the parking lot is so worn and poorly striped that more than a handful of cars means autos parked every which way in a confusing jumble. I had a woman park inches from my car.

It's really amazing to me that in this day and age any on-going retail concern could be so universally run-down. Something is going to change here; either they will put a bit of money in the place or it's going out of business, and I would bet one of those two things will happen within the next two years.

Copied from my post in the topic about H-E-B: it really does make a lot of sense when one considers the volume of their beer & wine sales. It doesnt expire, it requires minimal labor, the profit is decent, it probably opens a gap of profitability that lets their concept function the way it does.
    How can any national grocer take the OKC market very seriously when they can't sell beer or wine? The HEBs in Austin have an entire isle of wine, thousands of bottles. And it essentially defeats the liquor store unless you're drinking spirits. It's cheaper, there's more selection, you can grab snacks or a even a carved turkey dinner for 4.

I think the market will look a lot different if we're able to change the liquor laws next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Copied from my post in the topic about H-E-B: it really does make a lot of sense when one considers the volume of their beer & wine sales. It doesnt expire, it requires minimal labor, the profit is decent, it probably opens a gap of profitability that lets their concept function the way it does.
    I definitely agree. The Harris Teeter in downtown Charlotte struggled for a bit after opening, but they were able to make it work by scaling back on their perishables and offering a much larger beer and wine selection than the average Harris Teeter. It ended up becoming an amazing urban grocery store. Having a store like this be possible here is one of the big reasons I am so passionate about liquor law modernization.

It's really amazing to me that in this day and age any on-going retail concern could be so universally run-down. Something is going to change here; either they will put a bit of money in the place or it's going out of business, and I would bet one of those two things will happen within the next two years.
    It really goes to show how poorly run Homeland is. With that said, after the upcoming closing of the west Edmond location, it will be last of the "run down" Homelands still open in OKC. All of the others have either been remodeled or were already pretty modern when Homeland took over from Albertson's. You can't help but think that they will be evaluating the future of the 18th and Classen store. Hopefully if it does go out of business its after something else opens up to fill its niche. I really don't want to be forced to drive to NW Expressway and Portland for groceries.

If you're as terrified of the protein at homeland as I am. Check out Morelos butcher/market on 23rd & meridian. The drive is not so painful now the 3 year intersection remodel is finished. They sell through meat so fast there it is crazy fresh, good t-bone, ribeye, pork, chicken, they also have pre marinated fajita steaks that will make you a backyard bbq super star(ancient Chinese secret eh?). There's also a legit taqueria inside and some basic mercado sundries. Awesome little store.

If I'm going to drive, I'll go to Sprouts at 63rd & May.

Great, great store all the way around with very good prices too.

terryinokc Guest

No surprise about the Homeland on 2nd Street in Edmond closing....I commented on that several months ago that it was on it's last legs.

I went to the Homeland on 33rd and Broadway in Edmond last weekend. This store should be the next one to go. I can't say that it was dirty or anything, but a very depressing place to shop. The meat counter had several packages of "mark downs" and I was going to pick up some ham chunks for beans...and they had already changed color. Not very many customers...and the whole store seemed "worn out".
    I used to shop this store a lot when I worked in Edmond...but that was when it first opened as a Price Mart. That was a great store but not sure Homeland has done anything much to keep it going.

The Homeland in Del City in the old Albertsons is also pretty tired...and the same "worn out" feeling. It could use a big dose of cleaning up and excitement/remodeling also. I think it survives because it's one of the few grocery stores in the area.

33rd and Broadway isn't really that terrible by OKC standards, unless it's went further downhill since the last time I was in there. It did feel kind of worn out, but compared to most grocery stores in the metro it really wasn't bad. If you want a depressing store, check out the Buy for Less at Penn and Hefner. There really isn't a Wal-Mart nearby so my guess is that Homeland will survive by being the only grocery store in the immediate area. The 2nd St location was sandwiched between Crest and a Wal-Mart Supercenter so there was simply no way it could have survived in the state that it was in. If Wal-Mart opens a neighborhood market in the vicinity of 33rd and Broadway, my guess is that would be the end for that Homeland. It's sad to see Homeland has let so many of the formerly nice Albertson's locations go. I don't know why Homeland doesn't show any interest at all in being a modern grocery store and competing.

Furthermore, I don't understand why competitors other than Wal-Mart aren't expanding more aggressively like OnCue has done for gas stations, forcing 7/11 to up their game.

The margin for profit or loss is skinny. I don't imagine Homeland can get the backing for updated or expansion projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The margin for profit or loss is skinny. I don't imagine Homeland can get the backing for updated or expansion projects.
    Why would it be different for them compared to other stores which are doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Why would it be different for them compared to other stores which are doing that?
    My guess is Homeland isn't a very healthy operation financially. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the way they are closing stores and neglecting so many of their remaining stores doesn't seem like the way a thriving company would be run.

Reasor's has a major following up in Tulsa and it shows with the way they invest in their stores and are expanding. In other cities, national chains like Kroger have deep pockets and they are able to make investments that small, struggling operation like Homeland is not able to. I am not sure about seemingly more healthy local chains like Buy for Less/Uptown and Crest. If I were them, I would be a little more aggressive at expansion but I am sure they have their reasons for their business model.

If liquor reform passes, it may give grocers here the extra profit they need in order to invest in existing stores as well as expand. In states that sell beer and wine, alcohol sales are up to 20% of a grocery store's profits. They can't get that in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    My guess is Homeland isn't a very healthy operation financially. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the way they are closing stores and neglecting so many of their remaining stores doesn't seem like the way a thriving company would be run.

Reasor's has a major following up in Tulsa and it shows with the way they invest in their stores and are expanding. In other cities, national chains like Kroger have deep pockets and they are able to make investments that small, struggling operation like Homeland is not able to. I am not sure about seemingly more healthy local chains like Buy for Less/Uptown and Crest. If I were them, I would be a little more aggressive at expansion but I am sure they have their reasons for their business model.

If liquor reform passes, it may give grocers here the extra profit they need in order to invest in existing stores as well as expand. In states that sell beer and wine, alcohol sales are up to 20% of a grocery store's profits. They can't get that in Oklahoma.
    So basically you're saying that Homeland is being lambasted here for not doing something which it isn't possible for them to do.

I'm going to try and not create a running commentary about how bad the store is at 18th & Classen but it seems they are going to make that a challenge for me...

I was in yesterday and two different employees were working with earbuds in; as in listening to music.

This included the only checker working at the time.

When is the last time you went to any sort of retail establishment and people working the floor and/or register were wearing headphones?? The lack of professionalism in this organization sometimes defies belief.

18. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

I honestly think the management doesn't care what goes on in there because there is absolutely no competition for them. They can basically do what they want.

When I look at the grocery situation downtown, I wonder why the free market has not fix these issues yet. It is puzzling to me.

^

I think that is about to change, and soon.

Homeland better get its act together.

21. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

^

I think that is about to change, and soon.

Homeland better get its act together.
    They don't even have self-checkouts. The only time I go in there is to buy 1 or 2 items, and you have to wait in line at one or two lanes which never move quickly. If it wasn't so convenient and really the only option I would not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    They don't even have self-checkouts. The only time I go in there is to buy 1 or 2 items, and you have to wait in line at one or two lanes which never move quickly. If it wasn't so convenient and really the only option I would not go there.
    I believe this describes 80% of their customers, myself included. Only buying a few items only because you absolutely need the items and Homeland is the nearest option.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I believe this describes 80% of their customers, myself included. Only buying a few items only because you absolutely need the items and Homeland is the nearest option.
    Same here. I really dread having to drive up to NW Expressway for groceries, so I usually end up going to that Homeland. I will drop it as soon as there is a better option.

My quess on the Midtown location is that they are just trying to hang on until someone else comes in, then they'll just close down. I think that is basically what is happening to the chain. Kind of like Mcclory's sp? after taking over TG&Y. The slow death of the chain.

Yeah, it's like that Homeland has no pride whatsoever. There was a trashed couch that somebody had dumped next to their dumpster, and it sat there for a long time. Heck, it may still be there. A good manager would've seen to it that that eyesore made it elsewhere, and pronto.

I'd really like to see a grocery store built a little further east. Somebody in another thread had asked about one perhaps on or near Broadway. That'd work for us!

Thread Information