Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Default Re: Homeland -- N. May & Britton

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    DING DING DING DING

Thats it!
    It was a Mega Market ran by the Beachler's group...

Let's be honest here, the true Whole Foods shopper, isn't a Homeland shopper. They might shop at a Homeland today but only because it's handy, but when the Whole Foods opens they won't be back no matter how much Homeland expands their "organic/natural" goods sections.

2. Default Re: Homeland -- N. May & Britton

Quote Originally Posted by phinzup View Post
    It was a Mega Market ran by the Beachler's group...

Let's be honest here, the true Whole Foods shopper, isn't a Homeland shopper. They might shop at a Homeland today but only because it's handy, but when the Whole Foods opens they won't be back no matter how much Homeland expands their "organic/natural" goods sections.
    La Te Da.....How about a definition of a "true Whole Foods shopper"? Do they worship in the veggie section on Sunday morning? Swap blood while in line at the registers? Make a vow to stay away from those lowly stores of yesteryear - at the risk of being caught for disloyalty by the "True Whole Foods Shopping Police"? This post sounds like hipster snobbery that I would expect from people in Seattle, Portland or Burlington, VT. Are they "too good" for Homeland once the Holy Grail of food opens? Your post is almost creepy and cultish.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    La Te Da.....How about a definition of a "true Whole Foods shopper"? Do they worship in the veggie section on Sunday morning? Swap blood while in line at the registers? Make a vow to stay away from those lowly stores of yesteryear - at the risk of being caught for disloyalty by the "True Whole Foods Shopping Police"? This post sounds like hipster snobbery that I would expect from people in Seattle, Portland or Burlington, VT. Are they "too good" for Homeland once the Holy Grail of food opens? Your post is almost creepy and cultish.

Ugh.
    Whatever......you sure have assumed a lot from my post. No need to explain my thoughts further, you wouldn't get it anyway.

4. Default Re: Homeland -- N. May & Britton

Quote Originally Posted by phinzup View Post
    Whatever......you sure have assumed a lot from my post. No need to explain my thoughts further, you wouldn't get it anyway.
    I wouldn't "get it" anyway? You took quite the high-brow potshot at Homeland in elevating Whole Foods. I think I touched a nerve with the Seattle/Portland thing. It's a cultural thing. But please - go ahead - forget what I wrote. I might have just misinterpreted you. Tell us why a "true" Whole Foods shopper would never shop at Homeland again, no matter what Homeland did. I might be hipper than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post

Ugh.
    LOL. Funny post of the day

If there is such a thing as a "true Whole Foods shopper" it has to be someone who isn't concerned about cost. I'm sure that category exists in OKC but, for most of the population, Whole Foods won't be a one-stop shopping location.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    If there is such a thing as a "true Whole Foods shopper" it has to be someone who isn't concerned about cost. I'm sure that category exists in OKC but, for most of the population, Whole Foods won't be a one-stop shopping location.
    It is n't for most here in Austin, most of the "dedicated Whole Foods shoppers" that I know still go to HEB for many items. They may not go as often but they still shop there.

Default Homeland to build greenhouse to supply up to 8 stores with fresh produce

http://newsok.com/new-greenhouse-to-...rticle/3671790

A New York company has agreed to build a large greenhouse dedicated to supplying Homeland grocery stores with fresh produce through a unique partnership announced Tuesday.

BrightFarms, based in New York, will finance, build and operate the greenhouse at the Homeland store at N May Avenue and Britton Road at an estimated cost of $1.5 million to $2 million. In exchange, the grocer has signed a long-term purchase agreement to buy products grown inside the greenhouse.

Kate Siskel, a BrightFarms spokeswoman, said groundbreaking is planned for July and the greenhouse is expected to be operational later this year. The company focuses on growing lettuces, tomatoes and herbs because those products are the most perishable and suffer the most from being transported.

Produce in the greenhouse will be grown for taste, not shelf life. It will be picked when ripe or ready and arrive on store shelves within 24 hours.

The greenhouse will cover at least an acre and be capable of producing up to 150,000 pounds of produce per year, including spring mix, arugula, spinach, cherry and hothouse tomatoes — enough to supply that store and up to eight others.

“We're excited to partner with BrightFarms and offer our consumers a year-round supply of fresh local produce. This partnership supports our commitment to sell the absolute freshest produce and our commitment to the community,” said Darryl Fitzgerald, chief executive officer of Homeland Stores, an Oklahoma City based grocery store chain with 75 stores in Oklahoma and Kansas.

It's the second long-term produce agreement BrightFarms has made with a grocery chain. The first was with McCaffrey's, an east coast grocer with three locations in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. BrightFarms also operates a smaller, noncommercial greenhouse in New York.

Siskel said traditionally, the long-term agreements are for at least 10 years. She declined to discuss the specific terms of the deal with Homeland.

9. Default Re: Homeland to build greenhouse to supply up to 8 stores with fresh produce

Nice to see Homeland taking a step in that direction.

Default Re: Homeland to build greenhouse to supply up to 8 stores with fresh produce

This rendering actually looks like an urban building; that's awesome!

Default 39th & N. Penn Homeland

I noticed tonight the Homeland grocery store on 39th and Penn had the Homeland sign removed. The lights on the inside were on around 730pm. no cars in the parking lot. I hadn't been by that location in a couple of months...

Anyone know if this a recent closure or is undergoing a remodel ?

Default Re: 39th & N. Penn Homeland

I believe another grocery store is going in there.

I was told it's reopening as a Super Saver store which will still be owned by Homeland. I did a quick google search and found this.

the store will be closing in 2, 3 weeks and re-open on May 5th as Super Saver Club; no coupon,all store brand product,with local vendor /produce the cashier said it is like a ghetto version of sunflower market
    Link

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    I was told it's reopening as a Super Saver store which will still be owned by Homeland. I did a quick google search and found this.

Link
    Even a "ghetto" version of Sunflower Market would be an improvement.

15. Default Re: 39th & N. Penn Homeland

Since there is no Aldi's in the neighborhood, if Homeland can replicate Aldi's products & pricing, I'll be a regular customer.

Default Re: Homeland to build greenhouse to supply up to 8 stores with fresh produce

Bumpity bump bump.

New expected opening is 2013.

http://brightfarms.com/projects/homeland-stores

17. Default Re: Homeland to build greenhouse to supply up to 8 stores with fresh produce

That time frame sounds more realistic.

Glad to see Homeland moving in positive directions. Especially since my wife works for them.

This store was bought about six months ago by 4D construction out of El Reno.

Recently, the took out building permits to split the building into two separate spaces, one taking about 2/3rds of the space and the other the remainder.

Goodwill will be taking one of the spaces; not sure about the other.

ugh...

This is just...well, disappointing.

It may be difficult to find another grocery store to fill that location being that the Belle Isle Wal-Mart is so close. I think Target isn't far from their either, though its a little farther than Wal-Mart. With the new Sam's Club the area is probably as saturated as it can get with grocers. I wonder what the other tenant will be.

Isn't the Target on May a P-fresh store?

23. Default Re: 39th & N. Penn Homeland

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This store was bought about six months ago by 4D construction out of El Reno.

Recently, the took out building permits to split the building into two separate spaces, one taking about 2/3rds of the space and the other the remainder.

Goodwill will be taking one of the spaces; not sure about the other.
    Its like a neighborhood scratching and clawing to stay nice and respectable - then someone decides to paint their house orange,

Goodwill has been buying up a lot of real estate lately. It seems like their stores or collection centers are popping up everywhere like Starbucks did before fast food and convenience stores jumped in the specialty coffee market. Makes me wonder where their focus is (helping people or making money).

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    Goodwill has been buying up a lot of real estate lately. It seems like their stores or collection centers are popping up everywhere like Starbucks did before fast food and convenience stores jumped in the specialty coffee market. Makes me wonder where their focus is (helping people or making money).
    Why are these goals mutually exclusive? The more money Goodwill makes the more people it employs/helps/retrains, no?

And honestly Goodwill is not a terrible use for the space. I've actually been really frustrated moving to OKC that there are a dearth of thrift stores. Back on the west coast, where I relocated from, we had them everywhere. Not in the most affluent neighborhoods, but not segregated to the ghettos either. In fact, in some towns, the Goodwills/St. Vincent de Paul thrift stores would sort out their higher end clothes from their donations and sell them in small "boutiques" downtown, adjacent to higher-end retail.

Thread Information