Here is the main reason I created this thread today though. The Panera Bread is requesting a drive thru window in the back. The planning commission denied it and it now goes to the city council. I support it.

Drive-up window denied for Panera
James Coburn
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Panera Bread was denied approval by the Edmond Planning Commission this week for adding a drive-through window at the back of the restaurant.

The vote was 2-3 against the request made by Ron Ward, owner of the Springcreek Village Shopping Center. Panera Bread is located on the northeast corner of 15th Street and Bryant Avenue.

“What they’d like to do is add a window on the east side of the property,” said Bob Schiermeyer, city planner.

The retaining wall on the east side of the property would be realigned to allow for pick-up window traffic and service and emergency vehicles to have adequate lane width for access, Schiermeyer said.

They would widen the lane so there would be enough room for fire trucks and service vehicles on two lanes of traffic, Schiermeyer said.

A new edge to the property would be established, Schiermeyer said. The land to the east is zoned for single family use but is projected for commercial office space.

“They do have to drive around the whole back of the area,” Schiermeyer said. “I’m convinced that based on the quality of this restaurant that customers would be happy to do this. But it is unusual.”

Panera Bread District Manager Mike Cassidy said the restaurant serves between 1,200-1,500 customers a day. No more than five or six cars at a time are projected to use the service window, Cassidy said.

- See more at: Drive-up window denied for Panera » Local News » The Edmond Sun