Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    This is probably an ignorant question, but if the speculation Pete was hearing about a new Marriott further west into Bricktown is true, how does this Marriott happen with a new (and hopefully more upscale) version going in just a few blocks west?
    There are a ton of Marriott properties all over downtown.

Shouldn't affect a full-service Marriott going in.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are a ton of Marriott properties all over downtown.

Shouldn't affect a full-service Marriott going in.
    Does the hotel chain not control how many hotels under their flag go into a certain area?

This is probably an ignorant question, but if the speculation Pete was hearing about a new Marriott further west into Bricktown is true, how does this Marriott happen with a new (and hopefully more upscale) version going in just a few blocks west?
    HUGE difference between a full-service Marriott and these hotels like Springhill Suites and Courtyard Inn. It's like the difference between a Sheraton and a Sheraton Four Points. One is a real hotel and the other is pretty much a glorified Best Western.

Does the hotel chain not control how many hotels under their flag go into a certain area?
    They can if they choose. They might not want another Springhill Suites, for example. But then again, if there is enough demand, they might allow more than one.

And certainly when it comes to the main Marriott brand, there are often more than one in a downtown area. As it stands now, there is no pure Marriott in the core.

Pete, how close is OKC to the announcement of a full-service Marriott downtown? How tall do you foresee it being?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Pete, how close is OKC to the announcement of a full-service Marriott downtown? How tall do you foresee it being?
    I haven't heard anything new, but to summarize what I had previously posted: 1) It would be on the SE corner of Sheridan & Oklahoma; 2) That is one of the properties presently owned by Don Karchmer but under contract to Andy Burnett's group; 3) After that sale closes, another group will be brought in to develop the hotel; 4) The hotel would be some sort of Marriott property, but one of a higher-end variety, i.e. a pure Marriott or something particularly nice; 5) It would have to be of decent height to fit on that site; 6) I'm not sure the stage of all this, in that it could just be preliminary discussions but it sounds like it may be pretty far along.

That's all I know and I doubt we'll learn more until at least after the sale closes.

7. Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

New article by Steve is posted.

Blog Entries

Interesting the things we stand firm on vs the things we let go but should stand firm on...

The developers submitted revised plans for dumpster to no be located at the end of a long drive.

It's the only significant change and I suspect this will gain final approval and work could start soon.

Did they change the design or will it really be that ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post

Looks good, fits well with the district. Designed with urban principles. Should provide a nice price alternative to people staying in downtown for a show at the criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    That is the final, approved design.

15. Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post

Looks good, fits well with the district. Designed with urban principles. Should provide a nice price alternative to people staying in downtown for a show at the criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I know a lot of people don't like the look of this. But honestly the site plan is not bad. Not surrounded by a sea of parking, for one. Makes much better use of streetfront than other hotels in its neighborhood *cough*Staybridge Suites*cough*

Not saying it is a home run.

I never said it was perfect, but what exactly is wrong with design principles? Its up against the street wall, doesn't have front facing parking, and has a walk space between the building and landscaping. Could it be better? Sure. I think this is a perfectly fine design though. Especially considering the architecture already present in this area. Really helps create a nice little sub district.

Someday, developers in this city will learn that you develop to the corner in Urban settings…

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That is the final, approved design.
    I just threw up a little in my mouth.

For a budget hotel, it is not bad. Take a look at other Springhill designs; this one is fairly standard, only with red brick and no parking.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post

Clearly, you have not given sufficient study to the sacred texts. Perhaps jtf can cross reference these plans with the new urbanist bible and give us an exhaustive rundown on the many ways the developer has strayed from orthodoxy.

22. Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

You know there is actual field research (decades of it, in fact) and in fact sound business reasoning behind the desirability of adherence to good urban design principles in a downtown, right? Or do you think it's simply a bunch of claptrap, freedom-hating, government meddling and attempted mind control? Nevermind; your insulting tone and repeated trolling of those desiring good urbanism where appropriate suggests the latter.

There are honestly A LOT of things I don't understand or know about in regards to good urban design principles (I've lived in OKC basically my whole life so please forgive me). Most everything I know about them I've learned from this website.

This development could be a lot worse, but I see that it could be a better. Normally I'm 100% down with nitpicking & trying to maximize the potential of each project & I don't mind you guys calling out what exactly needs to be changed. I just don't like the "OMFG diz sucks the nutballz" comments when its really not THAT bad.

Why are so many of these projects in east Bricktown not adhering to the good urbanism the city is seeing in the core of the district and in Deep Deuce? It isn't as bad as Lower Bricktown, but I am still pretty disappointed in this and the Staybridge Suites.

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    For a budget hotel, it is not bad. Take a look at other Springhill designs; this one is fairly standard, only with red brick and no parking.
    It's standard for all their suburban hotels, that's for sure. Here's a few of their urban concepts.

Thread Information