Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

^^^like^^^

2. Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

3. Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    It would certainly be neat if this board had private message capabilities.

I'm just glad I'm served by two great sources of OKC info.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Note: this started with a pot shot you took at me.
    And here's the proof I was working on this before you posted and was not simply reacting to you posting.
    Attachment 8206Attachment 8207
    Now, you leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. I think it's clear that you don't respect the work I do. As for me, I complimented you just three days ago in the fuss over Bricktown and noted you had done a good job at responding to claims that Bricktown was about to be turned into an office park. I do take issue with the liberties taken by some posters on this site with the facts, and I won't apologize for correcting those errors when someone (often from this site) brings them up in the live chats. You see any contrary response by me to what is said by anyone on this site as an attack on the site itself (and I've not even mentioned the site in any of my postings or writing in months. Again, I suggest you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone, that's that.
    You do know it is possible to change the name of an older file you have created, so in all honesty, those screenshots don't prove much.

I love the work you do and have much respect, but you're saying this site has lost you, but you're still on here and it seems like you're here only to tell people to remove a measly photo that wasn't even making profit for the site... start random arguments with posters who present other facts that don't favor you... and attack Pete for doing what you did to him and this site the other day.... and I know i've seen it in the past.

I was also hoping the article you wrote about Bricktown Towers was a sign of better relations with this site seeing as you really went out on a limb to research it and find out hard facts which I--and I'm sure everyone else--appreciates greatly. I don't know initially what started this, but all I know is 9/10 developments I hear about(breaking news or not), come from this website(usually first). They aren't link to your articles, they are articles Pete has spent tons of time on and personally, I like the format better on this site.

I suggest you create your own forum website and see how that works out. Not trying to be snark or sarcastic, I'm being serious. Perhaps you get more done that way and have more security that way. Until then, it would greatly be appreciated if you could give us here the same respect we give you(not taking cheap shots at this site as being an incredible source and a rumor mill). Even thought you don't directly come out and say it, we weren't born yesterday, we can take hints man.

Again, I love you and your work, but I honestly think Pete has done a better job of putting things together and providing information that is easier to (1) find (2) understand (3) is more interactive and user friendly (4) has more insider information (5) has something your news articles never will - the power of users and citizens voicing what they know through posts. There are some extremely informed people on this board who really know their stuff and having a place where they can post or send PM's and have it posted is better to have it on an organized forum rather than a comment section or random chat log. Like I said, perhaps you should create your own vBulletin forum board and see how it works since you seem to be in know and have the information before Pete.

Coming on a forum board and posting a screenshot really doesn't prove anything. Pete clearly had the sources and the info first was able to post it. If you cared that much to be on here arguing about it, you would've posted it first if you could have. Am I wrong on that? I really hope this doesn't sour your opinion of me, but I had to say it.

Thank you Pete for all the information you provide to this site and keeping us informed with news that we get first due the inside sources posting or PM'ing here because of the anonymity and thank you Steve for you wonderful reporting you do for NewsOk. This city is very lucky to have two people who dedicate their time and resources to this matter.

Traditional media, when it is working properly, has the advantage of thorough research, transparency, and the reputation of the reporter. If Pete says BOK and Devon are working to build a new tower on the Preftakes block, I'll believe him, because he has a good reputation and appears to have solid sources. But if Steve then posts an article going into great detail (as he did with Bricktown Towers) about how things just don't add up (with interviews, and research, etc), then I'll believe him.

I hear things first on OKCTalk. Always. When I see Steve's articles I expect to get the fully researched story. This means that traditional media can't compete with the internet for speed. But that's been clear for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Originally this building technique utilized a higher-grade material like limestone. When brick gets over a certain number of stories using ONLY brick can make a building look very heavy and monolithic. So architects added the cast stone to lighten things visually. Here is an example from right here at home:

And here is what a building can look like without it (NYC):

However, somewhere along the way, builders discovered that substituting EIFS for the cast stone or brick actually saved a bunch of money too, so they fully embrace the design for economic reasons, though it began for aesthetic ones.

I don't have much to add except to say that I appreciate this post and the perspective it provides on building design. I'm quoting it in full to hopefully allow everyone to see it. I fear it may have gotten buried under the (unfortunate) drama that followed it.

Here is one way to do it in a picture I took about a week ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banff Springs Hotel 2.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	685.9 KB 
ID:	8211

Breaking: emotional trainwreck continues to publically behave like an emotional trainwreck.

9. Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    This site has lost me.
    That would've bothered me a year or so ago, but you quit adding anything to this site a long time ago. You used to be one of my favorite posters because of your work, your knowledge and your connections, but then IIRC you got your feelings hurt my some internet bullies and took your ball and went home. Now it seems the only thing you do here is petty bickering. You could be a great asset to this board, but you choose not to. That is sad, but in the end it is your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post

I love that but it uses the pitched roofs to accent the top and pitched roofs are not allowed in Bricktown. The one place that did it downtown has been scorned by almost everyone.

11. Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post

Is that the hotel in Banff Springs? Really hope to make it up there soon, along with lake Louise

12. Default Re: Bricktown SpringHill Suites

Well this thread is depressing all the way around.

I actually think this design will be approved.

It's mostly brick, built right up against the street and is very similar to the other hotel projects in Bricktown that have been approved over the last few years.

If we had some prettier renderings people would probably feel better about it.

It's certainly not an exciting design but it's pretty typical of what is already in the district.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I think part of the reason this hasn't been received well is it is "just" a hotel. There isn't anything here to really appeal to locals like, say, Aloft. Since it really only benefits people who are visiting, there is little for locals to get excited about it. It'll basically just end up being another building which doesn't even have a particularly interesting design.

It's mostly brick, built right up against the street and is very similar to the other hotel projects in Bricktown that have been approved over the last few years.

It's certainly not an exciting design but it's pretty typical of what is already in the district.
    There is no way this gets approved. It doesn't even have sidewalks between the building and the street. Access to the dumpster off of Sheridan is also a big no-go. The city should continue the alley along the old rail right-of-way and the dumpster moved to this area. This will also facilitate future development on the adjacent lots.

This is another site plan that shows the sidewalks.

They may need to tweak a few things, but I don't see any reason for the committee to withhold approval. It's almost exactly like every other hotel in the district.

I already said that!

Do I need to post a pic. of my post from the previous page in this thread?

I kid, I kid. (Except for already saying that).

^

So sorry!

You know more about this stuff than I do anyway.

So this is the hotel that was originally planned across the street from The Hill, correct? Anything going on with that property now?

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    So this is the hotel that was originally planned across the street from The Hill, correct? Anything going on with that property now?
    Yes, same hotel by the same architect and owner, but the design is pretty different.

He still owns that lot by the The Hill and it's small, so I'm not sure what he'll do with it. He paid a bunch for it.

Was secretly hoping the hotel would go in there as originally planned and values at The Hill would go down and we could finally afford to move there

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I love that but it uses the pitched roofs to accent the top and pitched roofs are not allowed in Bricktown. The one place that did it downtown has been scorned by almost everyone.
    True, but I was referring more to the accents of the upper area of the hotel before the pitched roof starts.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Is that the hotel in Banff Springs? Really hope to make it up there soon, along with lake Louise
    Yes it is. I also was at Lake Louise and have pics of the Chateau Lake Louise but that hotel is more about the scenery than the actual design of the hotel.

Name:	Chateau Lake Louise 2.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	705.0 KB 
ID:	8221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chateau Lake Louise 3.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	8222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chateau Lake Louise.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	726.8 KB 
ID:	8223

New rendering of this project:

This actually looks decent. Sort of a contemporary spin on what's already down there.

Thread Information