Widgets Magazine

Thread: Wanna Ride in a WWII B-17?

Default Wanna Ride in a WWII B-17?

You still have time to catch a ride in a WWII, vintage B-17 out at Wiley Post Airport...

Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission - Memphis Belle Visiting OKC

Contact Us

Default Re: Wanna Ride in a WWII B-17?

one of the many things never to make my bucket list.

KP...shortly after that "Bird" flew over TVA, I caught this with my camera...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	983.0 KB 
ID:	8185

"Marauding Mushrooms breach the southern perimeter of TVA...run for your lives!"

If I hadn't had to work today, I would have been tempted to toss a couple or ten grand in the direction of that airplane so I could take a ride.
    On the other hand, I previously decided not to do the Helicopter Ride at what used to be the State Fair of Oklahoma.
    I call it Risk Management. (plus I don't have a lot of discretionary thousands to spend on thrill rides =)

And . . . if you think about it . . . it ain't the REAL Memphis Belle . . . it's the MOVIE VERSION Memphis Belle.
    (go check out the Heavener Runestone . . . it's a lot less expensive. Plus, its the real thing whether fake or not. =)

Sometimes they even have serendipitous Classic Auto Shows at mystery hotels in Bartlesville!

You are right...it is the MOVIE VERSION...and it only cost $450.00 to buzz the Devon Tower in a B-17. I tried several times this afternoon to get a pic, but it kept landing on Runway L. I am directly in the path of R.

It's sort of a shame that The Good Folks over at Devon didn't attach an inflatable King Kong Gorilla to the side of the iconic Tower for photo ops.
    (and pay the B-17 Peeps about two years' maintenance costs to do so. Voluntarily, of course. =)

As a tax write-off for public service announcements.

I saw that plane flying around today and wondered what was happening.

As Eric Burdon once said, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood": I love old airplanes and trains and cars and stuff like that.

(Which reminds me . . . =) . . .

When my daughter was very young, I took her out to an airshow over by the FAA Complex.
    At one point during the program, they did a spectacular bombing/strafing run, involving some aircraft and a fairly awesome pyrotechnics display, with some of the music from "Top Gun" (a popular movie at the time) blaring from the loudspeakers.

My daughter--maybe five or six at the time?--observed what was going on and said, attempting to properly file the sensory inputs:
    "Hey! . . . I've seen this movie!"

One of the most beautiful sounds in the world is that of radial engines of a vintage aircraft. I was working in my garage on Saturday and heard that unmistakeable sound. I came outside to see it as it flew right over my house.... Beautiful!.

I saw it flying around again today so I jumped on the motor scooter and rode out to Wiley Post to have a closer look. It may be a "movie" aircraft as far as the name, but it's still the real deal, and one of only a handfull of airworthy examples.

It's sort of like the symphony produced by That Little Old Motorcycle Factory in Milwaukee . . . =)
    (there's "noise" and then there is "musical noise" . . . if you know what I mean)

Of course, the Nazi thugs on the receiving end of the gifts from above delivered by one of these marvelous aircraft, featured on this thread might have a different take on "the music" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Heaton View Post
    You still have time to catch a ride in a WWII, vintage B-17 out at Wiley Post Airport...

Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission - Memphis Belle Visiting OKC

Contact Us
    I saw this fly over this morning when I was out running. Pretty cool. Didn't know they were actually giving rides.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I saw this fly over this morning when I was out running. Pretty cool. Didn't know they were actually giving rides.
    I think I looked up from whatever I was doing
    at the time
    and marveled at the slow-flying plane
    In the sky, to the north.
    For a few moments, I wondered what it was.
    Now I know.

(but they probably had a dress code to board
    for $450
    that didn't involve running clothes.
    it was a nice, incidental, Holiday Gift
    even if at work. =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    It's sort of like the symphony produced by That Little Old Motorcycle Factory in Milwaukee . . . =)
    (there's "noise" and then there is "musical noise" . . . if you know what I mean)

Of course, the Nazi thugs on the receiving end of the gifts from above delivered by one of these marvelous aircraft, featured on this thread might have a different take on "the music" . . .
    The Nazi's heard that music accompanied by heck of a drumbeat.

Flown on this one and the Liberty Belle twice. FiFi the B-29 was also a fantastic flight.

15. Default Re: Wanna Ride in a WWII B-17?

We've gone out to see the B-17 in Denver a couple of times. Though I'm not shelling out the money to fly it, its still fun to watch it come in and leave. The sound is something very rare nowadays.

Thread Information