Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Fairfield Inn

Default Re: Fairfield Inn

That surface parking lot is going to bring lots of questions.

Perfect turn around for those trailers using the convention center loading docks.

Is there any hope that once the convention center, hotel and parking garage are built, the parking lot will go away and be used for something better? I mean, it will front Shields, I would think that we could find better use than surface parking...

Blog Entries

I like the original materials better. 133 rooms seems like a missed opportunity.

Considering there will be a big parking garage directly north, I suspect the DDRC is going to have pretty big issues with all that surface parking.

I love the hotel itself. Looks modern, and I love that it addresses the corner! The hotel could be bigger, but it's size isn't bad. I agree with the other comments on the surface lot though - that should not be allowed to fly here. Other than that, if the hotel itself is built as depicted, it'll be quite nice!

The surface parking can eventually be developed, and they could pretty easily add a second hotel onto the site at a later date.

Not sure we should try to force them to expand the hotel to fit the lot. My biggest complaint would be how they address the corner at 4th/Broadway...I think it needs some more interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    The surface parking can eventually be developed, and they could pretty easily add a second hotel onto the site at a later date.

Not sure we should try to force them to expand the hotel to fit the lot. My biggest complaint would be how they address the corner at 4th/Broadway...I think it needs some more interaction.
    My thoughts exactly. There could be the same layout, just facing SE instead of NE and a shared parking lot for valet in between the two.

Why is it that almost everything OKC gets is 4-5 floors? I'm sure it is a cost thing and things here are always done as cheaply as possible. Frustrating.

Blog Entries

Beyond like 6 floors involves different materials and so more cost I think?

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Why is it that almost everything OKC gets is 4-5 floors? I'm sure it is a cost thing and things here are always done as cheaply as possible. Frustrating.
    I'd much rather see a block filled in with multiple 3-5 story buildings than a block filled with the devon tower. Quality infill and how streets and buildings interact with people should be our focus rather than tall buildings/skyline/how the city is perceived from afar.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 4-5 story developments. Many of the best cities in the world are defined by 4-5 story buildings. In fact, there's decent evidence that humans psychologically prefer buildings at this height. Complaints about density, mixed use, material quality, or walkability would make sense though. OKC's core has enough empty or underutilized lots that it'd take a generation to fill them with 4-5 story buildings.

Paris is 90 % 4 - 5 story buildings, and that's one of my favorite cities.

I want to see more tall and supertall skyscrapers in OKC myself, but smaller buildings like this are the bread and butter of urban infill. 4-5 story buildings are closer to human scale, and are A-OK with me.

I want to see more tall buildings as well. I would like to see at least 2-3 supertalls, 2-3 50+ story, and 10-15 20-40 story buildings by 2030. One can dream��

I care less about the height than I do about the fact that it feels like the newly developing parts of downtown OKC are being overrun by smallish, limited-service hotels. They are now adding four more (4!) of the same type of product directly east of Bricktown. I truly hope there is really enough business to sustain all of these as well as the convention hotel and the other "real" hotels in the core of the CBD. (Yes, I know they serve different markets but OKC isn't growing THAT fast).

Are we creating a really interesting core or are we simply duplicating I-40 and Meridian a few miles east?

OKC is growing pretty fast. I guess time will tell.

Doesn't make sense to put a small hotel like that there IMO. That belongs on I-40 and meridian. Wish they would build at min 10 stories instead.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I love the hotel itself. Looks modern, and I love that it addresses the corner! The hotel could be bigger, but it's size isn't bad. I agree with the other comments on the surface lot though - that should not be allowed to fly here. Other than that, if the hotel itself is built as depicted, it'll be quite nice!
    I agree about the design. It fits in better with the modern proposed design of the convention center than the original proposal.

Here's my fear ... Are we saying "Any development is good development as long as it's an improvement over a vacant lot?" What if Jiffy Lube or Kwik-Trip came along for those parcels along Shields south of the convention center?

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Here's my fear ... Are we saying "Any development is good development as long as it's an improvement over a vacant lot?" What if Jiffy Lube or Kwik-Trip came along for those parcels along Shields south of the convention center?
    This is a lot better than a Jiffy Lube. You have to be careful that you don't go full drunken PluPan, where anything under 50 stories is "crap". I mean I wish this thing was 10 stories instead of 5, but it's not bad by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    This is a lot better than a Jiffy Lube. You have to be careful that you don't go full drunken PluPan, where anything under 50 stories is "crap". I mean I wish this thing was 10 stories instead of 5, but it's not bad by any means.
    You're right. It's really not bad. I think it will do a great job of accommodating guests to University Town Center in Norman. Or, it would be pretty cool in Chisholm Creek too. It's ALRIGHT here. As much as I like heighth and what not, it is pretty cool to be getting all of these hotels downtown/Bricktown. But I have to ask, at what point do we strive for something better? Literally every 4 or 5 story hotel that has been proposed looks very similar. I get different materials, different companies, different builders. That's all great. And again, I get you don't get the opportunity to have a hotel like the Skirvin or Colcord, or The Ambassador be built/renovated very often. To me, however, there has to be a point where the hotels and accommodations and entertainment destinations NEED to be sperate from anything else in the metro. The only new build hotel recently that I like is Aloft, at least it's different. The rest, literally every 4 or 5 story hotel that has been proposed, could rival the hotels on Memorial Rd. Or in Norman. Hell, the Hampton Inn on 122 and I-35 looks pretty similar to these.

I guess what I mean, is i wish Downtown OKC and its districts could enforce more of an identity for itself and for its guests with its new hotels. On one hand, yes it is very exciting. I don't even care about the heighth so much. We are finally getting real infill all over downtown. How awesome right? I just wish they were more unique. I stayed at a hotel off 380 in Aubrey Texas a few weeks ago that was bigger and honestly nicer than some of what downtown is getting. To me, that's a travesty. What do we need to do to these developers and builders to convince them they can build something better than what they are proposing?

Blog Entries

I think the revised hotel looks much better; its more modern and the materials appear to be of higher quality, at least when compared with the old rendering.

This project is out to bid and should be starting soon.

Would be the first new construction in Core to Shore other than the streetcar facility.

Woo another hotel

/s

Hopefully a combination and the Strawberry Fields talk and the park will get some construction ideas rumbling that will actually carry some life and permanent population.

Thread Information