Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfield Inn

Default Re: Core to Shore Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with all of the downtown related regulations and guidelines, but I don't want people to think that the area has no design control. The entire area has an extensive design review framework already in place.

I might add that I personally believe the framework failed in the case of the new law offices by the river, but part of the failure is a result of the Board of Adjustment process as well, since they had to seek a variance and were granted such.
    This is the real problem. It's not that we don't have guidelines, it's that they are so often compromised by the process. Often I think the guidelines could be better, but it doesn't matter if they don't have the marbles to enforce the ones we do have.

I actually emailed the review board about the law offices and the response I got was pretty illogical. It basically said that the developer can't build according to the guidelines, but they could always change it in the future to comply. To which I asked what will be different in the future that would enable them to do then what they can't do now. No response.

Basically, our review boards have historically been easily romanced by the developers to give them variances. It's gotten better in some places and I don't remember many instances where requiring a developer to comply has killed a development, but it's still pretty prevalent and, like lower bricktown, these variances can often stunt an area to a point where major changes (and investment) would be needed to fully realize an area's potential and bring it in line with the original vision that informed the guidelines in the first place. And, as pointed out above, no one would want to locate a development in some of these areas without the major investment made by the public. So, IMO, if there were ever examples for justification of strict design and development oversight by local government entities, bricktown and C2S are it.

Maybe Devon and its proxies have earned the right to turn historic city blocks into urban dead zones dominated by parking, but I don't think any developer should think they are above city guidelines if they want to build within close proximity to a more than $130 million investment by the people of OKC to create an inciting new park district for the community.

Whats the timeline for demolition and construction?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Whats the timeline for demolition and construction?
    The demolition request will be reviewed by the DDRC next week.

No timeline was given for the hotel construction but I'm sure that will come out in the meeting.

If it ends up like their Residence Inn in Tulsa I'm all for this.

There will be no legitimate way for the city to slow this down for the CC project without a regulatory taking that would be an inverse condemnation...

But if the design is lacking in any way, this could be a good instance for DDRC to set some precedent for a few weeks.

I said this elsewhere but remember that they are also group behind the Canopy project at Sheridan & Oklahoma.

And as the Holiday Inn Express has demonstrated, how a property turns out has much more to do with the developer than the hotel flag.

What timing!
    They sure had good insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I said this elsewhere but remember that they are also group behind the Canopy project at Sheridan & Oklahoma.

And as the Holiday Inn Express has demonstrated, how a property turns out has much more to do with the developer than the hotel flag.
    Pete,

Were you able to find out if this will be an all brick structure? Or when we will see design plans?

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    Pete,

Were you able to find out if this will be an all brick structure? Or when we will see design plans?
    You mean for the Canopy?

No, no design has been revealed and now they even have another group competing for the Canopy flag on the Bodyworks site.

So, I have no idea where that project stands right now.

Pete, I believe that Fairfield's are 100% franchise. Does this mean that they are actually buying a Fairfield franchise with Marriott? Great location, looks like a solid company, it's an interesting choice to go with Fairfield. I would love to hear why they made that choice. The room count continues to head upwards downtown. What a turnaround in such a short time!

As recently as 1998, we had ONE downtown hotel.

This would make 22 and there are more coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You mean for the Canopy?

No, no design has been revealed and now they even have another group competing for the Canopy flag on the Bodyworks site.

So, I have no idea where that project stands right now.
    I'm sorry Pete, I was referring to this new Fairfield. Will it be an all brick structure to keep consistent with some of the other brick buildings in the area?

A beautiful 5-story brick building that is lit up at night would be a great start to this area. While I worked in the hotel industry downtown, we always talked about this area potentially being a great hotel district.

It is close to Bricktown and has great highway access, along with access to the future boulevard and proximity to the Chesapeake Arena and river. It's also filled with a ton of old metal warehouses that no one will miss or be upset about if they are all torn down to make way for a string of hotels that are 5-10 stories in height, perhaps even a couple of restaurants.

I haven't seen any designs for this hotel yet, so I don't know about the style or materials.

I like that Residence Inn in Tulsa, so that give me hope.

If they decide to put the CC right next to this proposed hotel it appears to me like this developer has hit the jackpot. Good thing that they didn't sell this site. Also,I would be willing to make a small wager that the CC will be built in this area. It's really about the only viable option it appears. But will they move the sub station or build something around it?

Although the hotel plans were not in the packet they submitted to the DDRC in advance in today's meeting, the Oklahoman is reporting that they did show plans and has a rendering here:

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/540...hore&embargo=1

The meeting today was to get approval for demolition which was granted. They still have to formally submit plans for new structure for approval.

It's just a 5-story brick box built to the property lines on all sides and what looks like a stucco first level. Very simple but they did manage to squeeze in 110 rooms.

Sounds like they want to get started very soon.

Default Re: Core to Shore Hotel (Fairfield Inn)

I really hope someone from the city is having a conversation with him about his site for the CC. But the quicker he goes to get approval the more leverage it gives him over the city if that site is chosen.

^

Right.

Very recently he had that property listed for sale.

Then suddenly, the signs come down and he applies for a demo permit and quickly produces plans for the largest hotel he could possibly place on that site. Keep in mind, there is no place for hotel guests to park. I suppose that only matters if he actually builds a hotel.

Also, I called him several times and he never returned my calls. Now all the sudden he's splashing out renderings when we still haven't seen anything on the Canopy Hotel that was announced months ago.

If the City does try to buy his land, he can now claim lost revenue in addition to the value of the land.

They really shot for the bare minimum here,didn't they?

I think he shot for the bare minimum on purpose though. It was simply a demolition permit which if everyone remembers the first rendering for OGE building, it was just to get the permit and awful. But here he has to be playing a bigger game. He has seen the scrutiny the other downtown hotels have seen recently so he has to know it will take more. I've also been curious to see if we see a new Core 2 shore design committee put together to really make sure the district has a distinct(and consistent) identity. Now would be the time to get it started instead of waiting to late and having bare minimum projects slip in.

I thought having buildings pushed out to the sidewalks and no parking was what everyone has been clamoring about on the site. The new Staybridge Inn doesn't have parking either.

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    I thought having buildings pushed out to the sidewalks and no parking was what everyone has been clamoring about on the site. The new Staybridge Inn doesn't have parking either.
    All I meant by my comment about the lack of parking on site is there isn't anything other than street parking in that area and given the nature of that neighborhood, I wouldn't think that would be an acceptable strategy for a 110 room hotel.

With SpringHill, the developers actually own the lot to the east and there are also several surface lots they could contract with (as did the Holiday Inn Express) and the Power Alley garage that other hotels like the Hampton and Homewood Suites use.

If this Fairfield Inn was built in the next few months in Core to Shore, I simply don't know where people would park other than some streets in very bad condition in front of mainly abandoned buildings. I'm trying to imagine people walking to and from their car and I just can't see it. Even with valet, where would they put the cars that was even remotely safe?

23. Default Re: Core to Shore Hotel (Fairfield Inn)

Since no one has brought up the International Harvester Building yet, how does this affect that building and the possibility of the new convention center going in this area? I would hope efforts to save the building for reuse can start now and not at the eleventh hour like the film exchange building down the street and all the other buildings lost or about to be lost.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/willia...7634784488953/

24. Default Re: Core to Shore Hotel (Fairfield Inn)

By the way, it's obvious this building would add a lot of character to the area if it was restored like the Rock Island Plow Building since it's pretty much the only structure of its kind in that whole area.

Thread Information