Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country Inn and Suites

Northwest OKC Country Inn and Suites

The formerly banana yellow Country Inn & Suites on NW Expressway near Founders Tower is getting a new coat of gray paint.

Looks like the yellow stripes in the front will stay. The remaining yellow on the west elevation is being painted out.

Default Re: County Inn and Suites

Originally, it was built as a physician building and in the same style as Founders Tower, the original Ackerman McQueen building and Continental Theater.

Default Re: Country Inn and Suites

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The formerly banana yellow Country Inn & Suites on NW Expressway near Founders Tower is getting a new coat of gray paint.

Looks like the yellow stripes in the front will stay. The remaining yellow on the west elevation is being painted out.

I highly doubt that yellow is staying. If you look right behind the portico you can see they started painting that area with what they could reach. I think the lift system they are using just doesn’t hang from that section because of the way the roof and room is right behind that section compared to the rest where they can easily attach and hang down so they will have to use a different method to paint it and not the cart they are lowering down on the rest of the section.

Definitely prefer what is originally looked like, if a hotel wanted to come in and return it to that I would be a fan.

I'm not one to complain about aesthetics, but man they really did a number on that building...

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    I'm not one to complain about aesthetics, but man they really did a number on that building...
    No kidding. Looks something Rick Dowell would be proud of. Just can't imagine who thought that ugly facade looked better than the original.

7. Default Re: Country Inn and Suites

We can appreciate that now, but at that time the mid-century look was considered dated....old. It hadn't aged enough yet to move to "classic".

Kind of looks like a Lego building now.

9. Default Re: Country Inn and Suites

I'm a bit curious why it was built the way it was. Why not make it shorter but wider and cover the whole of the bottom section? And why no windows on the sides? It's always been a very strangely designed building to me.

And what's funny is, as a kid, i didnt ever notice it even existed until it got converted into the hotel and was painted the horrible colors it was. I remember thinking, when did they build that freaking weird hotel there and why did they build it that way?

It was built tall and skinny to complement the rest of the entire development. There was Founders Tower but several low-slung buildings and I always thought it was cool how all of them worked together.

At the time, most medical buildings didn't have much in the way of windows. This was true at the original Baptist Hospital across the way that was built slightly before.

Wow, I had no idea about the history of this building. The old design looked great! I do like the new colors now. I drive by often and it is a great visual upgrade for the area that was looking pretty outdated a few years back. (Considering the Embassy/Tower Hotel, the Tiffany, and this building all updated recently.)

FYI, the roof and front stripe are still yellow.

It looks like they are planning to leave it that way.

Blog Entries

That's a warmer gray which looks a lot better than the all yellow. The small amount of yellow on the roof top and the vertical stripe will be fine; as customers return to this Country Inn they won't miss it.

Nice 3-star hotel, probably equivalent to three Holiday Inn Expresses on one site.

That's terrible. I'm not a huge fan of either color scheme, and leaving it half finished like that is a joke. Did they run out of budget?

It's looking more and more likely that the yellow stripe isn't going anywhere:

The paint scheme with the Residence Inn and Country Inn is awful. Plus the green roofs. Wow. lol

HangryHippo Guest

That is truly hideous.

Great for easy locating, though.

"Hey, what hotel you at?"
    "The tall one with the ugly yellow stripe on the side of it"
    "Oh, yeah, I see it, be there in a few minutes"

They haven't done this hotel any favors!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Great for easy locating, though.

"Hey, what hotel you at?"
    "The tall one with the ugly yellow stripe on the side of it"
    "Oh, yeah, I see it, be there in a few minutes"
    I used to have a salesman client who ALWAYS wore a bright yellow tie with his suit. Said it was the only color tie he had worn for over 3 decades. He used to tell me, when I call someone back and they can't remember which one I was, I always say "the one with the yellow tie". They knew instantly. BTW, I handled his investments and they were pretty large for one of us working stiffs, so I guess it worked.

I guess I'll be the outlier and say that I prefer it with the yellow stripe as opposed to a potential all-grey color scheme.

I also prefer carpeted floors to hardwood floors, if anyone wants something else to roast me about lol

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I also prefer carpeted floors to hardwood floors, if anyone wants something else to roast me about lol
    I'm with you on this. Hardwood floors have their place, but I can't stand always walking around on a hard floor.

I think it looks fine.

This is clearly the final color scheme:

Thread Information