Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfield Inn

Default Re: Fairfield Inn

I don't think its so bad.. it could certainly be worse.. its a fairfield in I didn't expect much different that this.

Not that it matters, but I can't see a problem with it at all.

What are the design standards for this area? Is it a copy of Bricktown, or do they plan to go with something else? At least do brown brick instead of the red brick of Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    I like it too. It is brick and cast stone, no EIFS. It fits in well with the International Harvester building next door. This is good infill - it isn't going to be the center of attention or be a district defining building, but it is quality development and looks very nice. If most of Core 2 Shore looks like this I'll be very happy.
    Is that corner not EIFS?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    All these 5-story 100-120 room hotels in the downtown area... And they all look so similar.
    They are relatively cheap to build the way they do it. Low architectural fees, basic stick construction, and cheap mechanical systems. They are modern day motels. But everyone on here seems to like them if they are just close to the street. Go figure.

Brick is a native building material and should be used extensivley on every structure in the city. It is funny that the people who reject vernacular architecture as fake, often times opt for an even more fake style (i.e. modern with glass curtain walls and steel).

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Is that corner not EIFS?
    I think it says cast stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Is that corner not EIFS?
    I saved the picture and then tried to enlarge it. It's incredibly hard to read, but I think it said something about metal panels. Can't be positive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    They are relatively cheap to build the way they do it. Low architectural fees, basic stick construction, and cheap mechanical systems. They are modern day motels. But everyone on here seems to like them if they are just close to the street. Go figure.
    Exactly, Rover. I don't understand why everyone likes this so much. It's a cheap, low quality build that's located in an area primed for true urban and quality development. It's going to look so terrible as it ages, too. But, hey, it's close to the street and doesn't use EIFS! What a low standard we now have for what constitutes a quality development.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Exactly, Rover. I don't understand why everyone likes this so much. It's a cheap, low quality build that's located in an area primed for true urban and quality development. It's going to look so terrible as it ages, too. But, hey, it's close to the street and doesn't use EIFS! What a low standard we now have for what constitutes a quality development.
    Wait wait wait. Am I the only one that remembers when we all agreed to be happy with things that were "better than crappy"?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I have by doubts about Core 2 Shore and whether it really will see true urban and quality development. So far that is not the precedent being set. Core 2 Shore developments should be required to not only adhere to urban principles in terms of street frontage, but also have a specific level of street interaction. For instance, this development would be nice if the first floor had retail or bars/restaurants. Architecturally it is nothing special but it isn't that bad. One only has to go a few blocks east to Lower Bricktown to see much worse.

Really? If one more 5 story brick/stucco hotel gets built in downtown, I am going to throw up!

How many 5 story brick hotels are downtown now? Heck, this one isn't even downtown.

I think people are greatly underestimating how important uniformity is to placemaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    How many 5 story brick hotels are downtown now? Heck, this one isn't even downtown.

I think people are greatly underestimating how important uniformity is to placemaking.
    Yep. Street presence > materials.

This is a good looking hotel, and I agree its really creating a sense of place. I don't get the hate in the least bit.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Yep. Street presence > materials.
    Side bar - I was watching a program a while back how the people of London are getting angry over a lot of the new glass towers and modernist buildings because they are screwing up their city and history. I am reading a book now called The Impulse Society which echos the exact same thing, but to society in general. It turns out individualism and deviation from norms (be they social or architectural) isn't sustainable. In the end you have nothing worth caring about.

Anyhow, just thought that was an intersting connection to vernacular architecture.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post

That is good, because this is uniformly cheap construction. Building motels would be uniform too. We worry so much about cosmetic that we give a big pass on real sustainability and livability beyond the next 10-15 years.

I am not much on demanding everything be avante garde and or be a 75 floor skyscraper, but these cookie cutter low or no service hotels are starting to define our city like motels did along the highways. Slapping a little brick facade on them doesn't change what they are. Budget priced multi-floor motels. (By the way, it isn't me defining these kinds of hotels as "modern motels". A high ranking exec at Hilton told me that as far as he was concerned that these were just motels).

If this hotel, or any other, wants to build with concrete, not use thru the wall AC units, etc... I would be fine with that.

Core to Shore falls with the purview of the Downtown Design Review Committee.

Core to Shore falls with the purview of the Downtown Design Review Committee.
    Well we have already seen what that group will approve.

Someone just posted on Twitter that the warehouses on this site are already being demolished.

I actually don't mind the design one bit. Obviously the DTOKC hotel market is very healthy so we will continue to see a lot of construction.

My major concern is the C2S area is still pretty sketchy. The park isn't going to be finished for at least another 4-5 years, and the hotel isn't even fronting the park. They will have a fabulous view of the industrial hellscape of the Producers Co-op and will be serenaded to sleep by the roar of traffic zooming up and down Shields. No restaurants that you can walk to, no public transit, nothing. Is this developer sure he knows what he's getting himself into?

Yeah, it's pretty early in that area.

Even the streets look like something out of a third world country.

Maybe he knows something we don't.

Yeah, it's pretty early in that area.

Even the streets look like something out of a third world country.
    Agreed. Core2Shore is going to be a monumental task. However, 25 years ago Bricktown as almost in third-world condition. There are parts of Midtown that still are today but its rapidly improving. I think now is the time to establish standards and a good precedent for Core2Shore so it is developed the right way.

Thread Information