Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfield Inn

Default Re: Fairfield Inn

This reminds of the time my friends went to NYC and stayed at Hotel LeBlue in Brooklyn a few years ago. It is very nice boutique hotel, but it is literally a block from the notorious cesspool Gowanus Canal. My friends could barely stand staying there because the sewage/poop smell was so strong in their room. And the neighborhood itself was kinda rough, although not as desolate as this area. The key was the developers knew the area was eventually going to gentrify, which it is now, and they are being rewarded by being "first" in the neighborhood.

Maybe they are banking on this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    This reminds of the time my friends went to NYC and stayed at Hotel LeBlue in Brooklyn a few years ago. It is very nice boutique hotel, but it is literally a block from the notorious cesspool Gowanus Canal. My friends could barely stand staying there because the sewage/poop smell was so strong in their room. And the neighborhood itself was kinda rough, although not as desolate as this area. The key was the developers knew the area was eventually going to gentrify, which it is now, and they are being rewarded by being "first" in the neighborhood.

Maybe they are banking on this scenario?
    I think a better comparison is when Spaghetti Warehouse went into Bricktown. They took a chance when the district was mostly run down and dead but they made bank because they were first.

I expect "delays" to beset this project.

Maybe not, but if I'm wrong, I see this project having some financial issues.

I have a hard time believing the roads are in "third-world condition." Bad, yes. But that is an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    I have a hard time believing the roads are in "third-world condition." Bad, yes. But that is an exaggeration.
    Yes an exaggeration but they are very bad and will make a horrible impression -- as will the surrounding area -- on anyone staying at this hotel.

Put it this way: People will be 10 minutes away from Bricktown/CBD/Film Row and they will DRIVE there.

And people staying for multiple days will inexplicably be bombarded with traffic during Thunder games and not understand what the hell is going on.

It's one thing to pioneer a district, it's another thing to go it alone.

I really get the feeling they're hoping the city chooses this site for the convention center in order to make a quick flip.
    Last edited by Teo9969; 04-16-2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: they're/their/there

^^^

While that has to be in their minds, I think they've done an awful lot of work on this project just for that possibility. Remember that just a month or so ago everyone thought they knew where the Convention Center was going to be located, and it wasn't here. I bet they are serious about this plan.

By the time this is built in 2 or 3 years, construction on the park will be well underway, and I bet other developments will have been announced. There might be a couple years early on when people are driving to Bricktown because there's nothing to do in the area, but it won't be long before this place is raking it in.

The
    Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Put it this way: People will be 10 minutes away from Bricktown/CBD/Film Row and they will DRIVE there.

And people staying for multiple days will inexplicably be bombarded with traffic during Thunder games and not understand what the hell is going on.

It's one thing to pioneer a district, it's another thing to go it alone.

I really get the feeling they're hoping the city chooses this site for the convention center in order to make a quick flip.
    No one will drive to Bricktown for the same reason we don't. It's easier to walk than find a parking place. However, there will be a streetcar and, unlike a large convention, a streetcar can easily handle people staying in a hotel.

No hotel should ever be allowed to be built downtown with air conditioners sticking through the walls. Central heat and air should be a must.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    The

No one will drive to Bricktown for the same reason we don't. It's easier to walk than find a parking place. However, there will be a streetcar and, unlike a large convention, a streetcar can easily handle people staying in a hotel.
    I wish this were true, but unfortunately it isn't. I personally know people who live, work, and play downtown using private vehicles to get around -- even when changing locations within the same district. :-/

Perhaps, but there are plenty of people who walk, because I'm walking and I see them. I think the streetcar will greatly impact the driving habits of individuals, visitors included.

This hotel only has half the parking spaces of the room count, so they obviously expect a good portion of their guest to walk, take a taxi, or use Uber. What is the parking ratio at the Holiday Inn Express? As for Thunder games, I suspect a lot of their game-day customers will be here for the game.

In 5 years we will be calling these guys geniuses. In 10 years we will be asking why they even built parking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    I wish this were true, but unfortunately it isn't. I personally know people who live, work, and play downtown using private vehicles to get around -- even when changing locations within the same district. :-/
    Same here. In fact I know more people who do this than walk. When I am in a group, a lot of times people act like I am crazy for suggesting walking from Myriad Gardens to Bricktown or Deep Deuce. Personally I really enjoy walking around downtown but OKC is still by and large getting used to not driving everywhere. Once the streetcar is in place and there is enough traffic and density to make driving less practical I think more people will start to walk. The way Hogan developed Lower Bricktown which all but discourages walking prolonged the cars-first mindset. This is a situation where people are just going to have to be forced to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This hotel only has half the parking spaces of the room count, so they obviously expect a good portion of their guest to walk, take a taxi, or use Uber. What is the parking ratio at the Holiday Inn Express? As for Thunder games, I suspect a lot of their game-day customers will be here for the game.

In 5 years we will be calling these guys geniuses. In 10 years we will be asking why they even built parking at all.
    They will be offering valet parking as well.

HIE has dedicated spaces in the public lot to the north.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post

As to the parking thing, I don't think anyone would be asking why? Once the rest of the area reaches critical mass, they can just expand on top of parking. Right now it is a necessity. In the future, if they think that parking is more necessary than another building, then yes, we'll be scratching our heads.

However I think the timeline for calling them geniuses is closer to 8 years.

4/17/2015

17. Default Re: Fairfield Inn

I think JTF is on to something in his last 'written' post. These people are on-to something.

Definitely First-To-Market: First Brand for Downtown, First Hotel in this Location, Capitalize on bottom floor market that will ONLY rise regardless of what is decided (due to the new park), AND - script a template for the new C2S district by the hotel's design features and lack of parking. ... Urban planning. ... or at least, this might lead to it for C2S. I like it and applaud the developers for taking that initiative.

Bchris is also right, Spaghetti Whse was first-to-market in Bricktown and set the tone for the district for 20 years. We are JUST NOW maturing away from that model (restaurant/entertainment only on bottom floor of a brick building with LOTS of local parking with hours limited to an entertainment theme) into Bricktown becoming more of an URBAN neighborhood with all building floors utilized, structured parking, and 24/7 occupants (residents, office workers, entertainment, dining/late night).

With this in mind, C2S might start out as an urban 24/7 district should this and other pioneers set that expectation with their properties/development. This is the only section of downtown left that hasn't yet been developed (but is sure to given the new park/relocation of I-40) or have a 'solid' master plan. Be first and you can not only make a killing but you can establish the brand of the location for 20 years.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Pete Is another historic warehouse in the DT area in jeapordy of being demolished and removed forever to make way for that Fairfield Inn in the Core to Shore area. I noticed that the owners of the The Sanctuary and Voodoo lounge purchased property near Frontier City. I looked at the pictures of the new hotel it shows that warehouse being removed. So curious would hate to see another large Historic warehouse being removed from downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue View Post
    Pete Is another historic warehouse in the DT area in jeapordy of being demolished and removed forever to make way for that Fairfield Inn in the Core to Shore area. I noticed that the owners of the The Sanctuary and Voodoo lounge purchased property near Frontier City. I looked at the pictures of the new hotel it shows that warehouse being removed. So curious would hate to see another large Historic warehouse being removed from downtown.
    No, I think they just left it out because they don't own.

Nobody's filed demolition plans. It's a cool building and I'm sure it will be renovated at some point.

The International Harvester building is in the rendering at the top of this thread.

Deal set to revive hotel development next to new convention center

Instead of just asking, backed up the power of eminent domain, to acquire the Patel property, Urban Renewal Director Cathy O'Connor started talks with Patel on how best to help him continue on a nearby site.

The deal awaiting approval by Urban Renewal Commissioners would sell Patel city-owned land at the southwest corner of SW 5 and E.K. Gaylord — immediately south of the Convention Center.

“We see this as a win-win for the city that allows us to buy the property needed for the convention center while being able to sell of a piece of our property so he can move ahead with his project,” O'Connor said.
    Looks like this project might not have been permanently derailed by the convention center site selection.

So, wait... They're going to do a land swap for the SW corner of 5th and EKG? Wasn't this hotel going to be on the NW corner of 5th and EKG? So... it's just moving to the lot directly south of the parcel that was originally to be developed?

23. Default Re: Fairfield Inn

sounds good to me. Make it happen
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Not sure why the City wants to swap this land (maybe because 5th will be the major thoroughfare for all the convention trucks?) but shown in yellow is the current Patel property where the Fairfield was proposed and red is the land the City wants him to develop instead:

Seems like a win for the developer to be moved to the corner of 4th rather than on 5th

Thread Information