Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Passenger Rail Updates(non-HSR)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oklahoma Passenger Rail Updates(non-HSR)

Urban, don't get bent out of shape. Tulsans are always shocked when OKC works hard and smart and gets something they don't have. LOL. They can't fathom that OKC can outperform them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    So the rights to come into downtown Tulsa already exist, the state owns those rights for 99 years.
    My apologies for being pedantic, but the 99-year passenger rights agreement began when BNSF sold the Sooner Sub to ODOT originally back in 1998. At this point, there are approximately 79 years left in this agreement.

And from the last years Vision project Tulsa has money for a new station. And while that new station has not yet been built, Tulsa's Union Station still exists, is fully remodeled and is owned by the city. All you would have to do to use Union is to build a platform at ground level to the tracks, and that could be done in a matter of weeks.
    This is, unfortunately, incorrect. First: the $3 million earmarked from the most recent Vision Tulsa initiative for a train depot is intended to build a recreation of a passenger depot at the site of the Route 66 Village outdoor museum along Southwest Blvd, where one of the original steam locomotives from the Frisco Meteor passenger train is on display - and it is on the opposite side of 244 from the BNSF rail corridor that an OKC-TUL train would use. Second, according to the Tulsa County Assessor's Office, the depot is currently owned by the Tulsa County Industrial Authority, who bought it in 2004 using Vision 2025 funds. TCIA then leased it to the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame for $1 a year for a 99-year term, beginning in 2007. According to an article from Fox 23 covering financial troubles with the hall of fame organization, the only way Tulsa County can get out of the lease is if the Jazz Hall of Fame is more than 30 days late on a payment. If the City of Tulsa does somehow manage to regain control of the depot from the County and boot the Jazz Hall of Fame, the original three platforms and the overhead concourse that allowed access to them from the Great Hall of the depot are gone; they were demolished sometime after 1981 when the depot was purchased by the Williams Companies and restored for use for office space. The area where the original platform #1 was is now filled with building mechanical equipment, so when reconstructed, they would be forced to rebuild Platform #2 and the overhead concourse, use a different platform configuration, or move all of the building mechanical to rebuild Platform #1. All of this is to say that restoring Union Depot to a rail use would be more involved than most realize (but it absolutely should be done, if at all possible). You can find current and historical pictures of the depot and it's former platform configuration via the Tulsa Deco District's Facebook page,Lost Tulsa's album on Flickr, and Mike Condren's Railroad Pages. However, if the County or City are unable to boot the Jazz Hall of Fame, they will be forced to secure land for, and build, a new depot somewhere along the BNSF alignment between Tulsa Union Depot and Sapulpa (where the passenger rights agreement is in effect).

So serious question, how is Tulsa the hold up here? You can Blame Bynum all you want for some random comments on a radio show last year but he's also made other statements that have been supportive of rail. How can this be on Bynum when he's only been mayor for two years while Tulsa has been promised rail service since the late 90s when Bynum must have been a teenager. The reality remains that the state spends millions a year to support rail to OKC, and nothing to Tulsa.
    While Mayor Bynum has voiced support for regaining passenger rail service between Tulsa and OKC, he has devoted few resources to the effort and simply maintained the status quo, just like his predecessor and unlike OKC. There appears to be no City-sponsored effort to gain control of Union Depot, or to secure a location for a new depot. Granted, I'm sure this is partly due to Iowa Pacific's collapse and a lack of confidence that they would be able to implement the passenger service they originally proposed, but the fact remains that the City of Tulsa has done far less than the City of OKC to advance passenger rail in their respective cities. I sincerely hope this changes soon, though I imagine it will strongly depend on responses to WATCO's RFP to find a passenger operator willing to run the route.

Baralheia, I hope you write for Wikipedia!

Regarding Bynum and Tulsa, I just don't understand it. I have been working up there for a client pretty regularly and love the place just as much as in the past. Efficient rail connections to it would definitely help make it less of an urban island.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    I just can’t let the bs in your paragraph go. I love all okc has done for passenger transit, but it’s not the leader in investments like you pretend. It doesn’t even touch what Dallas has invested in DART.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/d...rth-it-8380338
    You do realize that urban pioneer is a major transit advocate in OKC who is on committees for the streetcar and is very involved in efforts to bring more rail transit to OK, right? As far as any type of mass transit goes, he’s probably the most informed poster on OKCTalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    If you’ll note in the above post, I actually blame “your former Mayor Bartlett among others”. My references to Bynum are totally within the context that he is luke warm. OKC aggressively lobbied at high, organized levels for the Heartland Flyer. And as the state has threatened its existence over the years, OKC always fights for it. Tulsa has not made the same sorts of organized, meaningful political efforts. I think that is visibly clear and easily backed up through a cursory examination of the info out there.

In my case I actually sat in many of these meetings and really don’t know why that is being questioned. I have no motive here and want Tulsa to be as successful as OKC. I don’t have time to be anything other than candid about this.
    Based on what my friends in Tulsa who are very involved with the government outreach programs in TYPros, Bynum and the city have done and are doing very little to advance plans for a rail connection to OKC. So yes, Bynum and Tulsa’s general lack of effort has been a major issue holding this up. All of the rail transit advocate groups put a lot of blame on both Bynum and Bartlett as well.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    My apologies for being pedantic, but the 99-year passenger rights agreement began when BNSF sold the Sooner Sub to ODOT originally back in 1998. At this point, there are approximately 79 years left in this agreement.

This is, unfortunately, incorrect. First: the $3 million earmarked from the most recent Vision Tulsa initiative for a train depot is intended to build a recreation of a passenger depot at the site of the Route 66 Village outdoor museum along Southwest Blvd, where one of the original steam locomotives from the Frisco Meteor passenger train is on display - and it is on the opposite side of 244 from the BNSF rail corridor that an OKC-TUL train would use. Second, according to the Tulsa County Assessor's Office, the depot is currently owned by the Tulsa County Industrial Authority, who bought it in 2004 using Vision 2025 funds. TCIA then leased it to the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame for $1 a year for a 99-year term, beginning in 2007. According to an article from Fox 23 covering financial troubles with the hall of fame organization, the only way Tulsa County can get out of the lease is if the Jazz Hall of Fame is more than 30 days late on a payment. If the City of Tulsa does somehow manage to regain control of the depot from the County and boot the Jazz Hall of Fame, the original three platforms and the overhead concourse that allowed access to them from the Great Hall of the depot are gone; they were demolished sometime after 1981 when the depot was purchased by the Williams Companies and restored for use for office space. The area where the original platform #1 was is now filled with building mechanical equipment, so when reconstructed, they would be forced to rebuild Platform #2 and the overhead concourse, use a different platform configuration, or move all of the building mechanical to rebuild Platform #1. All of this is to say that restoring Union Depot to a rail use would be more involved than most realize (but it absolutely should be done, if at all possible). You can find current and historical pictures of the depot and it's former platform configuration via the Tulsa Deco District's Facebook page,Lost Tulsa's album on Flickr, and Mike Condren's Railroad Pages. However, if the County or City are unable to boot the Jazz Hall of Fame, they will be forced to secure land for, and build, a new depot somewhere along the BNSF alignment between Tulsa Union Depot and Sapulpa (where the passenger rights agreement is in effect).

While Mayor Bynum has voiced support for regaining passenger rail service between Tulsa and OKC, he has devoted few resources to the effort and simply maintained the status quo, just like his predecessor and unlike OKC. There appears to be no City-sponsored effort to gain control of Union Depot, or to secure a location for a new depot. Granted, I'm sure this is partly due to Iowa Pacific's collapse and a lack of confidence that they would be able to implement the passenger service they originally proposed, but the fact remains that the City of Tulsa has done far less than the City of OKC to advance passenger rail in their respective cities. I sincerely hope this changes soon, though I imagine it will strongly depend on responses to WATCO's RFP to find a passenger operator willing to run the route.
    What do you know, once again Swake came in guns blazing and was wrong lol.

Regarding Bynum and Tulsa, I just don't understand it. I have been working up there for a client pretty regularly and love the place just as much as in the past. Efficient rail connections to it would definitely help make it less of an urban island.
    I've heard Bynum himself say that rail isn't worth it, and autonomous vehicles are the future... he said it to a room full of urban planners, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Union Depot in its heydey

Union Depot in its current form as the OK Jazz HOF

The mechanical equipment that would have to be relocated per baralheia's post.

New platforms would have to be built (similar to OKC's Santa Fe Depot)

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    I've heard Bynum himself say that rail isn't worth it, and autonomous vehicles are the future... he said it to a room full of urban planners, no less.
    I’ve heard that from him too and though i think that’s a possibility, I just don’t seem that happening for awhile at least not in a capacity that would as widly available as rail transit between the two cities.

So yes Swake, this is your mayor’s fault, not OKC’s.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Can anyone explain the logic behind Bynum's argument to me? While I don't see autonomous vehicles being mainstream any time soon for a variety of reasons, if anything I would think rail and autonomous vehicles are complementary or neutral at worst, but definitely not mutually exclusive. I like the thought of being able to take a train to Tulsa and then hop in an autonomous vehicle operated by a ride share company.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Can anyone explain the logic behind Bynum's argument to me? While I don't see autonomous vehicles being mainstream any time soon for a variety of reasons, if anything I would think rail and autonomous vehicles are complementary or neutral at worst, but definitely not mutually exclusive. I like the thought of being able to take a train to Tulsa and then hop in an autonomous vehicle operated by a ride share company.
    The excitement and acceptance related to autonomous vehicles runs from "they are anything and everything and will fix the world TOMORROW" to "never going to catch on." Some politicians and techo-lovers are fully on board with a savior's mindset, which I just do not understand. The complexity and systems required for them to make any difference is still a couple decades away, while we have rail now. It might take a couple years to start up a rail connection, but it'll take 10 times as long to start up autonomous connections. And even with autonomous, the economy of scale for long trips just seems too far off. Short trips, maybe it'll work fine...
    Last edited by LakeEffect; 06-29-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling

^ Agreed. I think they will be great in certain situations, but I still haven't had someone that is very pro-autonomous vehicles coherently explain to me how they are going to change society's behavior to the point where no other form of transportation is necessary. Not trying to hijack the thread, but if city leaders such as Mayor Bynum are going to advance the argument that we should not invest in developing rail (or other alternative forms of transportation) because autonomous vehicles "are on the way" I believe it deserves some discussion so that hopefully people will begin to push back and/or question his premise.

So the rights to come into downtown Tulsa already exist, the state owns those rights for 99 years. And from the last years Vision project Tulsa has money for a new station. And while that new station has not yet been built, Tulsa's Union Station still exists, is fully remodeled and is owned by the city. All you would have to do to use Union is to build a platform at ground level to the tracks, and that could be done in a matter of weeks.

So serious question, how is Tulsa the hold up here? You can Blame Bynum all you want for some random comments on a radio show last year but he's also made other statements that have been supportive of rail. How can this be on Bynum when he's only been mayor for two years while Tulsa has been promised rail service since the late 90s when Bynum must have been a teenager. The reality remains that the state spends millions a year to support rail to OKC, and nothing to Tulsa.
    Here’s a news story from Fox 23 in Tulsa. In the video, several current and past city leaders and rail advocates all say that OKC’s leaders have made a strong effort to get the train moving forward, but that Tulsa’s leadership is lacking and has been part of the hold up.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox23...iled/649265972

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    ^ Agreed. I think they will be great in certain situations, but I still haven't had someone that is very pro-autonomous vehicles coherently explain to me how they are going to change society's behavior to the point where no other form of transportation is necessary. Not trying to hijack the thread, but if city leaders such as Mayor Bynum are going to advance the argument that we should not invest in developing rail (or other alternative forms of transportation) because autonomous vehicles "are on the way" I believe it deserves some discussion so that hopefully people will begin to push back and/or question his premise.
    I wonder if it's also just an easy excuse to avoid working on a hard problem or something that some people just don't really care about...?

Haha, thanks! I have made a few edits here and there, but I'm not a regular contributor. I'm just a total nerd for trains - especially passenger rail - and I love these old passenger depots. I travel by Amtrak whenever possible because I'm just that much of a train nerd, and I enjoy the heck out of it. I missed my opportunity to be on one of the original demonstration trains that Iowa Pacific ran to Tulsa back in 2014, but you better believe I'm going to be on the first regularly scheduled train up there! That's a route I've wanted to ride for a long, long time.

As for Tulsa and their last two mayors... I kinda get it. I suspect that Tulsa is just being overly cautious, and Tulsa will get the ball rolling on their end of the connection once passenger operations have a more concrete plan. I mean, the State has been talking about restoring passenger rail service between OKC and TUL for... Gosh, 23 years or so, I think? If memory serves, the Oklahoma Tourism and Passenger Rail Act of 1995 included a provision requiring the state to re-establish passenger service between OKC and Tulsa, but did not set a deadline or devote funding specifically for that purpose. Then most recently, Iowa Pacific stepped in and started talking big about what they wanted to do for the Eastern Flyer - an effort that faltered after IPRR decided to go take over the Hoosier State train from Amtrak, and then ultimately crashed and burned when IPRR ran into financial difficulties and began shuttering passenger and excursion operations across their system. So I can understand being hesitant to move forward until plans for passenger rail are more concrete than they are now. It sucks, because I'm of the mind that if they want the train, they need to fight for it, but I can understand the caution.

And you know, for all the flak that ODOT gets, ODOT's Rail Programs Division had a lot of foresight here. In 1998, BNSF wanted to scrap the Sooner Sub entirely, and ODOT bought it from BNSF at scrap value to preserve the corridor for freight and passenger traffic, and then further secured passenger rights from the northeastern terminus of the Sooner Sub in Sapulpa, through Cherokee Yard, to a point immediately northeast of the Union Depot in downtown Tulsa. The hard work of securing access for the train into downtown was already done for Tulsa. All Tulsa needs now is the physical place for those trains to stop and pick up/drop off passengers when the train starts rolling. It's (arguably) less work than OKC has left; to my knowledge, neither the City of OKC nor the State have yet secured passenger rights from the southwestern terminus of the Sooner Sub, at the "Midwest City" interlocker (the junction between the Sooner Sub and the UP line to Shawnee), westward through UP's Harter Yard and then across the northern edge of Bricktown to the BNSF viaduct. Hopefully we can get that access secured and the corridor rebuilt once plans to get the passenger trains rolling firm up.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    What do you know, once again Swake came in guns blazing and was wrong lol.
    Now, now, Swake wasn't entirely wrong, and I appreciate his passion. To me, his position seems to be that a passenger train to (or through) Tulsa really should stop at Union Depot, and honestly I agree. Union Depot is an actively used building in good repair, and last received renovations in 2004-2007 for the Jazz Hall of Fame, so aside from the significant exterior work to rebuild at least one platform and maybe the overhead concourse, not much interior work would be required to return the station to a passenger use. But the City of Tulsa needs to fight for it to make it happen. From what I understand, the Jazz Hall of Fame is regularly behind on their lease payments - far enough behind that if the political will were there, TCIA could exercise their right to evict them. This would provide a much easier path for the City to then acquire the building, or partner with the County to get the ball rolling on restoring the station's platforms.

Found a news article confirming that the WATCO RFP specifies a 10 year contract term for the winning bidder, and that the initial service might not be downtown-to-downtown, but they expect that to come afterwards as a Phase 2 expansion of service.

Quote Originally Posted by The Norman Transcript
    Effective Thursday June 21, 2018, in a 12 page document, WATCO Companies L.L.C. of Pittsburg, Kansas, issued a Request for Proposal to begin the process of securing a private rail carrier to provide passenger service for an initial period of 10 years between downtown Tulsa and the newly reconfigured Santa Fe Hub in Oklahoma City.

Sources confirm the project will roll out in two phases and the route will extend from downtown Tulsa through the cities of Sapulpa, Bristow, Stroud, Chandler and Midwest City into downtown OKC, along the old Sooner Sub track‎.

In 2011, the legislature passed House Bill 1686, the Eastern Flyer Passenger Rail Development Task Force, to study possibilities for linking the Heartland Flyer to the Sub line, which was owned at the time by the state of Oklahoma.

To advance the project, the state ultimately sold the line to Watco. Currently, Watco's Stillwater Central operates freight service over the line but upgrades will be made to accommodate higher speeds for passenger cars. With federal requirements for the installation of Positive Train Control taking effect, WATCO will face its first hurdle in funding that automatic braking system.

“I’m excited about this next big step in bringing passenger rail service to Tulsa. It’s now critical that local leadership in Tulsa come to the table, just as leaders in Oklahoma City already have. This is a fantastic economic development opportunity for Tulsa and great for families traveling the state. I could not be more thrilled with this announcement and remain committed to seeing this important project to completion," said Rep. Monroe Nichols, D-Tulsa.

In 2017, Nichols and Rep. Forrest Bennett, D-OKC, held an interim study 17-107 and 17-081 at which a legal opinion was introduced to clarify and confirm the existing statutory basis giving rights of a passenger carrier on the Eastern Flyer route to enter both the downtown Tulsa and downtown OKC areas. This point and others are to be discussed in upcoming meetings.

“This is great news for a variety of reasons but first and foremost, this is going to mean greater mobility for people who otherwise don’t have it: Oklahomans living in one city who have job opportunities or family in the other. It’s no secret that Oklahoma lags behind when it comes to mass public transit, but I firmly believe that the positive impact of passenger rail service will be felt far and wide, once this is implemented, and further investment will quickly follow. See you on the train!” Rep. Forrest Bennett said, upon learning of the RFP.

Bennett’s District 92 is home to the Santa Fe Depot Hub in Bricktown – OKC.

When the state sold the line to Watco, the contract contained an exit clause allowing the company to pay a substantial fine and walk away from providing the passenger service. Watco is keeping its promise to make every effort to return passenger rail service to all Oklahoman's including the 7000 online members of the Eastern Flyer website. Daily business travel between the two big cities represents all kinds of economic opportunities, especially the potential for a kind of ‘regional tourism’ at levels like Branson and Pawhuska; examples of awakened small town economies, but, in this case, with the opportunity to partake of the experience by riding a train.

“This is encouraging news. I am excited to work with my Tulsa Colleague Representative Monroe Nichols and other legislators interested in exploring passenger rail service to Tulsa," said Sen. Kevin Matthews, D-Tulsa. "Rail service would enhance our current tourism efforts taking place throughout the downtown area.”

"The Oklahoma Tourism and Passenger Rail Act O.S. 66-322 and O.S. 66-235 is a tool available for use by communities and lawmakers to strengthen state and local tax bases," said Passenger Rail Oklahoma President Evan Stair. "With rail expansion restored, economic viability will emerge, crucial to essential services such as education. Our eight year journey along the Route 66 corridor, coupled with strong legislative and community leadership, will usher in a new era of travel choice. We will again enjoy the freedom to choose travel mode — a hallmark of our new millennium.”

WATCO Companies L.L.C. was formed in Pittsburg, Kansas as a transportation company in 1983 by Charles R. Webb. Watco and is composed of four divisions: transportation, mechanical, terminal and port services, and compliance.
    Source: http://www.normantranscript.com/news...352191997.html

So the rights to come into downtown Tulsa already exist, the state owns those rights for 99 years. And from the last years Vision project Tulsa has money for a new station. And while that new station has not yet been built, Tulsa's Union Station still exists, is fully remodeled and is owned by the city. All you would have to do to use Union is to build a platform at ground level to the tracks, and that could be done in a matter of weeks.

Swake, I owe you an apology - I was absolutely wrong. The City of Tulsa DID commit money towards an intermodal transit hub downtown as part of Vision Tulsa. When reading up before my first reply to you, I completely missed this bit at the very bottom of the Vision Tulsa page:

Quote Originally Posted by City of Tulsa Vision Projects
    Vision funds also will provide money to begin the development of a multi-modal transit hub in downtown Tulsa adjacent to the rail corridor. A study will be completed to determine where the facility should be located and what elements it should include. Also, the money is likely to be used for property acquisition and/or as matching funds for federal grants.
    Source: https://www.cityoftulsa.org/governme...sion-projects/

It looks like Vision Tulsa is devoting $25MM to transit improvements, including a BRT line, a downtown circulator, and this transit hub. Now, I can't yet find any recent information about this project, but if it's anything like the idea pitched in 2015 by Tulsa city councilor Blake Ewing, it would involve capping the railroad tracks between Boulder Ave and Detroit Ave, installing rail platforms at track level, as well as a bus concourse, and then landscaping the top of the cap. It would be centered around the Center of the Universe, and could still use the Union Depot for the passenger rail operations. More info here: https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...cf095ce6f.html and here: https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...another-level/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    What do you expect from Richard Anderson? He was the CEO of Delta and his strategy was to funnel every passenger through Atlanta, and shrink markets that are not on the coasts.

He should have stayed in the private sector.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    What do you expect from Richard Anderson? He was the CEO of Delta and his strategy was to funnel every passenger through Atlanta, and shrink markets that are not on the coasts.

He should have stayed in the private sector.
    Came here to post just this. Anderson was a **** at Delta - him being the boss at Amtrak is terrible news for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Came here to post just this. Anderson was a **** at Delta - him being the boss at Amtrak is terrible news for the rest of us.
    Yeah. The interim Amtrak CEO before him was fantastic, and rail fans hoped he would help pick a great replacement. Anderson is not - he's making enemies across many fronts. This is the problem with the "run government like a business" scenario. Yes, Amtrak and the USPS are "businesses," but they exist to provide a public good. Sometimes a public good requires more investment than a business would spend, and that's OK.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma Passenger Rail Updates(non-HSR)

^^^^^^^
    If we ran state and interstate highway systems "like a business" privately-owned railroads would still be the way most people and goods would travel between cities. And in fact freight is STILL a preferred method of travel for many products for much of their journey. The fact of the matter is that taxpayers subsidize pretty much all modes of travel, and for good reason. The public subsidy argument against rail is a massive straw man argument and total misdirection.

Blog Entries

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/11/...le-train-cars/

This week, the Federal Railroad Administration finalized new safety rules that bring American standards more in line with those used in Europe — changes that will save American commuter rail operators money and passengers time. Under the new rules, old, heavy trains can now be replaced with lighter, sleeker, more-modern models.

This has been in the works for a while and will dramatically change perceptions about commuter rail. Here's the new "FLIRT" DMU manufactured by the Swiss company Stadler Rail for Ft. Worth's new commuter rail line to DFW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TexRail FLIRT DMU - Ft. Worth.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	15043

The trains looks and functions much like a Light Rail vehicle, but it can operate in mixed traffic on existing freight tracks, as a result of the new FRA regulations. This is a sleek-looking, low-floor vehicle that has acceleration similar to Light Rail. As a result, more stations can be developed closer together than previously workable with heavier commuter train locomotives and passenger cars. This is what we need to be working toward for the future OKC regional transit system

Blog Entries

Doesn't this mean we can now put streetcars on the heavy rail (to, say, go to the airport) or am I mixing things up?

Thread Information