Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NW Highway & MacArthur

Northwest OKC NW Highway & MacArthur

Two new developments at/near NW Highway and MacArthur in Warr Acres:

1. I noticed this week that someone has begun clearing ground on a vacant parcel of land just east of MacArthur, next door to McDonalds. It's a small, L-shaped parcel that fronts NW Highway and extends back behind the McDonalds property. IIRC, the last occupant of the property was a pizza joint that burned down maybe 15-20 years ago. Anybody know what's going into this space?

2. Noticed this morning, a bucket loader parked in front of the old Arby's on the SW corner of NW Highway and MacArthur, and the letters "MW" (Midwest Wrecking) spraypainted onto the front of the old restaurant. Looks like the Browns are finally starting their new-concept 7-11 that's supposed to be going into this location.

Default Re: NW Highway & MacArthur

Regarding #1, it's hard to track things in Warr Acres because they don't have an on-line building permit system. I've actually called City Hall a couple of times and they weren't very helpful.

Wasn't that an old Ken's Pizza location?

Consulting the County Assessor site, the property has not changed hands in quite some time.

I've lived in Warr Acres for the last 20 years. Whatever was there was gone by the time I moved here in 1994. They'd better fix the drainage. The part behind McDonalds floods regularly.

I did some research and it was definitely a Ken's Pizza in the 70's, and the lot has been vacant at least since 1990.

Pretty sure it burned down in the early 80's and then has stayed empty since.

I'll call Warr Acres on Monday and see if they can tell me what is being built. Can't believe this property has been vacant for 35 years.

Very interesting!

Until the other day when I too noticed this, I would see the foundation when passing behind McDonald's and between the professional building on that cul-de-sac. Bare concrete in the front, and the telltale orange restaurant kitchen tile along the rear.

Since I mention that cul-de-sac, I'd like to note that it is in absolutely rotten shape; it's a true pain to drive over. After a rain, it creates the worst puddles in potholes that I'm surprised exist.

I was thinking it was a Ken's Pizza, but wasn't positive. As for why the property has been vacant for so long, I suspect because of its small size and small frontage on NW Highway. I've often wondered why Santiago (McDonald's owner) didn't buy the property themselves when they razed and rebuilt the original McD restaurant, to expand their parking and drive-thru; part of the property actually sits behind the McDonald's building.

I went to that McDonalds today and was noticing that property. I would say the only possible use for the land behind McDonalds would be parking for whatever will be built.

Speaking of Arby's, They are building a new store at the old RSC (Rental Service Center) site at NW Expressway and Council.

After some creative Googling I found this:

Reidprographics - Online Planroom

There was a crew from Midwest Wrecking there this morning. Both the old Arby's and Pizza Inn (?) buildings should be on their way to the landfill any time now...

Both the Arby's and the Mazzio's were torn down today. I used to work at the Mazzio's.

The corner site (Arby and Mazzio's) was once going to be a new prototype 7-11........one intended to rival OneCue. I think they have had some issues getting the new prototype off the ground, but I hear it is back on track and will soon be coming.

Well, it's nice to see the demo happening where the 7-11 will be going. A big convenience store might be better than run down empty buildings. Unsure about that.

I'm also wondering what will be going on the lot where Ken's pizza was located so many years ago. I'll be watching.

Also, about the cul-de-sac that is NW 72nd Place. Since my office is located just off that wonderful road and I get to travel it every business day. What I have heard is that the road is still deeded to the Warr Family and Warr Acres will not take it over until it has been paved up to city standards. So no one has been keeping it maintained. Last I heard some deal may have been worked out. I have been seeing surveying going on last week. So I hope that means that it will be repaved soon!

I called the City of Warr Acres yesterday about that lot next to McDonald's but they are extremely unhelpful.

Rude receptionist basically puts you through to the Mayor's voicemail and he hasn't called me back and probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I called the City of Warr Acres yesterday about that lot next to McDonald's but they are extremely unhelpful.

Rude receptionist basically puts you through to the Mayor's voicemail and he hasn't called me back and probably won't.
    Don't count on the City of Warr Acres to do anything, they are secretive about everything. Don't even try to deal rationally with the Warr Acres Police Department, they are completely unprofessional. I'm not surprised your seeking help on something like that would run into their brick wall. That town needs a spring cleaning at the ballot box.

Yes, the receptionist is VERY rude. I believe she also doubles as their police dispatcher and is just the totally wrong "face" to put forward to the public. Horrible personality.

I've called them a couple of times before and received the exact same treatment.

Perhaps next time I contact them I'll mention building permits and the like are public information.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Don't count on the City of Warr Acres to do anything, they are secretive about everything. Don't even try to deal rationally with the Warr Acres Police Department, they are completely unprofessional. I'm not surprised your seeking help on something like that would run into their brick wall.
    My office is in Warr Acres and that isn't my experience. We have had occasions to have visits by both the police and fire departments and I was very impressed with both. I have mentioned previously in another thread about how surprised I was when my office received a call from the police department to alert us about a possible issue in our area. I've never dealt with the receptionist so I can't comment about that.

Northwest OKC NW Expressway & Macarthur?

does anyone have anyone know what is being developed on the southwest corner of NW Exp & Macarthur?

That Arby's and Mazzio's has been a landscaping eyesore for a few years now and I see they have totally razed the property and are preparing to build something....

Thanks in advance!

Man, I've got to get better using the search function around here..... thanks for re-routing

Quote Originally Posted by rfjeep12 View Post
    Man, I've got to get better using the search function around here..... thanks for re-routing
    No worries -- the search in vBulletin is pretty lousy.

Default Re: NW Expressway & Macarthur?

Quote Originally Posted by rfjeep12 View Post
    does anyone have anyone know what is being developed on the southwest corner of NW Exp & Macarthur?

That Arby's and Mazzio's has been a landscaping eyesore for a few years now and I see they have totally razed the property and are preparing to build something....

Thanks in advance!
    Please see post number 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I stopped at the McDonald's there yesterday and asked the kid at the drive-thru window if he knew what was going in, but he professed ignorance. I thought if the Santiago family (owners of that and several other McD stores in OKC) had bought it, the staff there would know, so I guess they're not involved.

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    I stopped at the McDonald's there yesterday and asked the kid at the drive-thru window if he knew what was going in, but he professed ignorance. I thought if the Santiago family (owners of that and several other McD stores in OKC) had bought it, the staff there would know, so I guess they're not involved.
    I wouldn't really assume that the kid would know what was happening even if it was McDonalds. Most have pretty lousy situational awareness. Lol

This is the SW corner of NW Expressway and MacArthur which is the future site of an expanded 7/11 project (thanks to warren88 for the photo):

Many thanks for all the information! Interesting that the Warr family may still own the road.

And, I'm glad to see the demolition of not only the Mazzio's and Arby's finally, but also the recent leveling of the old Kinney Shoes/Pee-Wee Dalton's/$1.[whatever] Dry Cleaners.

The site next to McDonald's was a Mazzio's in the very early 90s. I remember a junior high get together there. Burned down in 91 or 92 and moved the the location next to Arby's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information