Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinCo coming to MWC

Default WinCo coming to MWC

From another thread titled "Winco".

As we first discussed back in July of 2013, a national retailer has been scouting for 3 sites in Oklahoma City and we can now report that it is WinCo Foods.

Several sources have confirmed they have agreed to terms on three locations (with possibly more to come): Memorial & Penn, 39th & I-44 and[B] Reno & Midwest Blvd. in Midwest City (old Target Location).

(Original thread: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa - OKCTalk )

WinCo Foods is based in Boise, ID and has been on an aggressive expansion bent. Primarily based in the western states, they just opened two stores in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area in February with several more already in the works for that market. They are also planning a distribution center in the Dallas area once they hit 15 stores in the region.

Typical store size is right around 90,000 square feet, which is more than twice the size of a traditional grocery store. By way of comparison, a Costco or Sam's Club is about 140,000 sq. ft.

They have also been seeking two sites in Tulsa but I'm not sure of their exact plans. Certainly, they will try and open all the Oklahoma stores around the same time, which would likely be mid-2015.

Unfortunately, they are yet another deep discount, warehouse grocer. However, they seem like an excellent operator and are very popular where they open.

They are certainly not afraid to go head-to-head with Walmart. They are employee-owned, so a very different model than WM.

WinCo stores are open 24 hours.

Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

Yep, huge news for MWC.

Will replace that empty Target, bring a lot of life back to that intersection and a bunch of sales tax revenue for the city.

That's great. I'd like to see something happen to that part of town. Because it's been almost 10 years since we've seen any big retailers in that part of town (with the exception of Walmart market).

I also hope that the deal doesn't fall through as well.

5. Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

Interesting idea. Hope it all works out well too.

I'm still severely disappointed that MRMC didn't go through with their plans to consolidate the physician's offices into the Target building that they've owned since Target moved out. It would have kept MWC from having a great number of crappy little structures built around town because that professional space would have been available to all those dentists/lawyers/etc and kept them from building their strip centers and house offices. Obviously CMS wasn't going to pursue it if they're willing to sell the place now.

But it's a great win for everyone this way. The building gets a new facelift and we get a different kind of grocery store. I've never been in one before, but it looks like it will be a nice interesting twist.

6. Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

LET THE COUPON WARS BEGIN!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!

MFracas84 Guest

Is there a ball park estimate of when this will open or even start construction?

I think there will be an announcement in the next month or two, then they should start work on all four of their locations.

MFracas84 Guest

Awesome! Thank you.

There are no respond from winco? What's going on? Anything else have heard from them? I've been looking for new open stores at n.w okc area nothing and moore area nothing and s.w okc area still nothing in mid/del area still nothing! Do you have any ideas?

They should start construction on all OKC locations this summer.

They are building a massive new distribution center in Denton which won't open until the first of next year, so they don't want their stores open until that facility is ready to go.

For their current DFW locations, they are using 3rd parties to source their stores, which is only a temporary measure.

Went to Walgreen's today saw they where putting up temporary fencing around the parking lot I assume the old Target is coming down

As a new MWC resident, I'm looking forward to WinCo. I drive down that way often, but the last time I was there (a couple of weeks ago when I went to the Walmart for my medications), nothing had changed. Glad to here it's finally happening.
    C. T.

14. Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

Well its about time. I was really starting to question whether they had given up on this location.

The Old Target building is gone completely, Midwest wrecking hauled off the last load yesterday.

Just drove past it. Looks like most of the exterior wall is completed.

17. Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

I think most of the related conversation is happening in the main Winco thread in the other section...pictures/etc.

Oops... forgot there was another thread.

When will be open soon this June or July?

They have poured the parking lot. Know idea when they will open though.
    C. T.

The author of this article is reporting that the next WinCo will open in August. One would assume that it is the MWC location even though it says OKC.

http://www.theshelbyreport.com/2017/...klahoma-store/

I am curious to know if any MWC locals have received any fliers in the mail announcing an opening date for WinCo Foods? I drove by the location at the first of the month but it still looks to be about two to three weeks away from opening.

Got flyer Tuesday GRAND OPENUNG August 31 at 9:00 AM

Anyone make it in yet? Curious to see if it's a cookie cutter of the Moore location.

Exactly the same, Compared to Crest, Some prices comparable, others are not, Crest doesn't have to worry. The good thing is that they carry some brands that other local stores do not

Thread Information