Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 32 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Large Chain WinCo

As we first discussed back in July of 2013, a national retailer has been scouting for 4 sites in Oklahoma City and we can now report that it is WinCo Foods.

Several sources have confirmed they have agreed to terms on four locations: Memorial & Penn, 39th & I-44, Reno & Midwest Blvd. in Midwest City, and 19th Street in Moore.

(Original thread: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa - OKCTalk )

WinCo Foods is based in Boise, ID and has been on an aggressive expansion bent. Primarily based in the western states, they just opened two stores in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area in February with several more already in the works for that market. They are also planning a distribution center in the Dallas area once they hit 15 stores in the region.

Typical store size is right around 90,000 square feet, which is more than twice the size of a traditional grocery store. By way of comparison, a Costco or Sam's Club is about 140,000 sq. ft.

They have also been seeking two sites in Tulsa. Certainly, they will try and open all the Oklahoma stores around the same time, which would likely be mid-2015.

They are certainly not afraid to go head-to-head with Walmart. They are employee-owned, so a very different model than WM.

WinCo stores are open 24 hours.

Links:

We shop at a WinCo and provide a detailed review.

WinCo Foods

Time Magazine: Walmart's Worst Nightmare

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco3.jpg 
Views:	4060 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	7737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco2.jpg 
Views:	3936 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	7736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wincomwc.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	10155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wincomoore.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	10154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco11.jpg 
Views:	3752 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	7916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco8.jpg 
Views:	3730 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	7917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco7.jpg 
Views:	3686 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	7918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco6.jpg 
Views:	3716 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	7919  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco4.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	7920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco39th.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	10153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wincopenn.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	10156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco39thsite1.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	10162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winco39thsite2.jpg 
Views:	2572 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	10163  

Default Re: WinCo

39th and I-44? On the northwest corner where the old motel used to be?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    39th and I-44? On the northwest corner where the old motel used to be?
    Yes, possibly incorporating some or all of the shopping center to the west.

Last edited by hfry; 05-06-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Didn't look at the maps

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, possibly incorporating some or all of the shopping center to the west.
    Interesting, especially with a Sam's going in a half mile to the east.

Where is it going on Memorial and Penn? North of Dick's, or around from Sam's on the South frontage road? That's the only place there's any open real estate. Interesting. (Although TBH, I'm more stoked about the Natural Grocer's a mile and a half from my house.)

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    Where is it going on Memorial and Penn? North of Dick's, or around from Sam's on the South frontage road? That's the only place there's any open real estate. Interesting. (Although TBH, I'm more stoked about the Natural Grocer's a mile and a half from my house.)

This is good news. Even though this isn't the kind of mid-level grocer that OKC is lacking, hopefully this will finally cut into Wal-Mart's marketshare in OKC.

I love the West OKC and Midwest City locations; I bet they absolutely kill it in both places.

And interesting how they went out of their way to choose a spot at Memorial & Penn that is literally across the street from a Walmart and Sam's. Shows the confidence they have in their concept.

10. Default Re: WinCo

right next door to an aldi's too

This site provides pricing for their bulk items:

Bulk Foods Savvy: WinCo Foods Bulk Price List

12. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I love the West OKC and Midwest City locations; I bet they absolutely kill it in both places.

And interesting how they went out of their way to choose a spot at Memorial & Penn that is literally across the street from a Walmart and Sam's. Shows the confidence they have in their concept.
    And the MWC location is right across the street from a new Neighborhood Market.

That corner of Midwest City really needed something like this too. It had really gone downhill after the Albertson's, Target, and Walmart closed.

Will be interesting to see how they fare. Right across from a Wal-Mart Super Center, and Sam's, plus an Aldi right next door. Will see, too, if they have further impact on the Target north of Memorial. Thanks, Pete!

WinCo loves to go toe-to-toe with Walmart and has a ton of success doing so.

It's amazing how much the grocery landscape has changed in OKC in just the last year, and there is more to come.

We're getting Winco???

WE'RE GETTING WINCO???

OMFG YES!

I may go tour the one nearest me this afternoon and take some phtotos and vid.

I've never been in one at all and I'm interested to see their concept in person.

People absolutely rave about them.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    Will be interesting to see how they fare. Right across from a Wal-Mart Super Center, and Sam's, plus an Aldi right next door. Will see, too, if they have further impact on the Target north of Memorial. Thanks, Pete!
    That crappy Homeland on May and 122nd will be probably be affected the most.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That crappy Homeland on May and 122nd will be probably be affected the most.
    Agree. That Homeland is almost as bad as 18th and Classen location.

Winco has been a part of the North West for years and I do all my grocery shopping there.

They have the best prices in the Portland area and the quality is good. You have to bag your own groceries( unlike my days working at Kennards Discount Foods, 50th and MacArthur in the 70's! ) and they have just now gotten self-serve check out stands. That has helped the wait to check out, especially if you have just a few items.

The only area they seem to be lacking in is their bakery is not as nice or extensive as, say, Safeway. No pharmacy either, which is not an issue for me.

Blog Entries

Back in the mid-90s (lived near there) the 122nd/May Homeland wasn't too bad, considering...

I shopped at the WinCo in Ventura, CA on multiple occasions last summer and came away extremely impressed.

I really like the WinCo concept because the stores are extremely clean with wide aisles, quality produce and meats, many different brands to choose from, and they don't force you to buy items in bulk just to get a price break. Honestly, I was just amazed at how low some of the prices were. With that said, the store itself is probably not going to "wow" any of the folks who prefer the style and amenities of a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

I'm surprised they did 2 in the Northwest side. Once again, Southwest OKC get's overlooked.

^
    I'm sure they will eventually open a location or two in the South/Moore/Norman area.

I wonder where, exactly, on 39th and I-44? That will be just a few blocks from the new Sam's Club at N. May and I-44. So, they're taking on Sam's and WalMart in two different locations. WinCo is good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I'm surprised they did 2 in the Northwest side. Once again, Southwest OKC get's overlooked.
    Southwest OKC has the best Crest in the metro, one of the better Homelands, and will also be getting a Sprouts and a Natural Grocers. You also have that Chef Store if it counts. SW OKC doesn't always get ignored, at least as far as grocers.

Thread Information