Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This.

In OKC, a lot of people shop at Wal-Mart simply because they've not had better options. Five years ago, Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets were the best, nicest grocery stores in OKC. I don't think price is the only factor either, given how in the past there were so few other options altogether. I think WinCo will be the biggest threat to their dominance yet because they will give people an alternative that is also competitive on price.
    Food Lion was the last Walmart killer......that didn't turnout well. Hopefully Winco will provide something that Walmart,Crest,And Uptown can't...

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete, how many Winco's do you suspect will ultimately be open in OKC? They are starting out with four. Do they have an aggressive reach with a decent number of locations or do you think they will keep it at four stores for awhile?
    I don't think they'll do any more than 4 for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think they'll do any more than 4 for quite some time.
    A pity. Yukon (and to an extent Mustang, but let's be honest, places want to be near I-40) is quickly becoming a "you know what or get off the pot" area. Winco needs to get serious, or hope the Frisco road development happens and then wait 5-10 years.

When is the Moore store being built? I still haven't seen any signs up for it. Is it going to be on 19th St across from Target?

My understanding is that Winco will start construction on all the OKC locations this summer.

6. Default Re: WinCo

I was starting to wonder what was going on too. After a few years of holding on to a few of these stores, it seems weird that they wouldn't go ahead and renovate/open the stores that they already have a buliding for. That is, unless they plan on dozing the building. And if that's the case (like the old MWC Target/Ace) why bother leaving the current building there instead of tearing it down? It's not like the demo crews can do them all at once anyway. A lot of how they are doing this just seems very weird.

They are just busy with other markets.

They will demolish the old Target in MWC.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I was starting to wonder what was going on too. After a few years of holding on to a few of these stores, it seems weird that they wouldn't go ahead and renovate/open the stores that they already have a buliding for. That is, unless they plan on dozing the building. And if that's the case (like the old MWC Target/Ace) why bother leaving the current building there instead of tearing it down? It's not like the demo crews can do them all at once anyway. A lot of how they are doing this just seems very weird.
    The way they are doing this actually makes much sense from a grocers standpoint. My understanding is they are building a distribution facility in Denton. They obviously would want all of their stores open at the same time and my guess is that they would want to do that after the distribution facility is built and operational.

They could supervise and complete construction in a timely manner working on all four at the same time. They could also cut costs. Just looking at it from a business perspective.

Yes, Winco broke ground in December on an 800,000 SF distribution center in Denton.

I'm sure they don't want to open their OKC stores until it finishes, which will be late 2016 / early 2017.

So, they will likely start construction here in the summer and open their stores in 2017.

Have you heard if they are planning any Tulsa area stores as well?

11. Default Re: WinCo

[Yes, they have told me that they are looking to go into Tulsa and possibly Mo & KS after that.QUOTE=EricGarcia;947540]Have you heard if they are planning any Tulsa area stores as well?[/QUOTE]

12. Default Re: WinCo

[Yes, they have told me that they are looking to go into Tulsa and possibly Mo & KS after that.

I want you check up website and tell them reading about this.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/l...ity-coming.ece

Plans are out to bid for General Contractors on the Moore location for the middle of July. Listed as 85,000 square feet with the address of 755 SW 19th Street, Moore, OK 73160. Construction could start around late August and be complete sometime around the end of winter beginning of spring next year.

Any word on the 39th and Portland location?

Pete posted in the Moore Winco thread that they have not filed for a permit yet so that one remains uncertain about timing.

There is a permit under review for 39th and Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    Pete posted in the Moore Winco thread that they have not filed for a permit yet so that one remains uncertain about timing.
    The Moore location received their building permit a few weeks ago!

[Edit, sorry, I see you were responding about the Portland location, my bad!]

Boise-basd WinCo foods has applied for building permits for its Moore and NW Oklahoma City locations, with the intent to open early in 2017.

As OKCTalk was first to report in 2014, the deep discounter with a rabid following is planning 3 to 4 area locations: Moore, NW 39th & Portland, Reno and Midwest Boulevard in Midwest City and Memorial and Penn.

WinCo established its first stores outside the western U.S. When they expanded to the Dallas Fort Worth area in 2014. Now with 7 stores in that area and an 8th ready to open in Denton, the company is also well underway on a massive 800,000 square foot distribution facility in Denton that is scheduled to open in early 2017.

The first Oklahoma City area stores will open around the same time as the new Denton distribution center. WinCo has been using third parties to supply its DFW stores but part of their discount and quality model is to establish their own gigantic centers for all their locations.

WinCo is also looking at sites in Tulsa.

Now with over 100 stores, WinCo reduces operation expenses by purchasing directly from manufacturers and farmers; accepting cash and debit cards, but not credit cards; having basic, no-frills stores; and not providing bagging service.

They plan to got head-to-head with Walmart with comparable or lower pricing while using an employee-owned model that loyal customers claim provides superior customer service and excellent quality.

The first two building permits are for 85,000 square foot stores at a cost of $10 million each. Selling just food and related items, this is more than double the size of a typical grocery store.

The Midwest City location on he site of a shuttered Target should be starting soon as well. The Penn and Memorial location has encountered site problems due to terrain and if it goes forward, would likely open after the first three.

WinCo stores are open 24 hours.

OKCTalk shops at WinCo and provides a detailed review

20. Default Re: WinCo

So what about the Midwest City location? The buliding is already there so it should be an easier process, but it would make sense to have them open at the same time. Did they abandon that location or are they simply waiting for the other locations to catch-up construction-wise?

21. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    So what about the Midwest City location? The buliding is already there so it should be an easier process, but it would make sense to have them open at the same time. Did they abandon that location or are they simply waiting for the other locations to catch-up construction-wise?
    Pretty sure that building will come down.

Yes, they will demolish the old Target in Midwest City.

I suspect all 3 of the locations will open about the same time, with the Penn/Memorial location happening later due to pond detention issues at that site.

Any word on how many or where the Tulsa ones will go?

They are looking for sites now. I don't think they are under contract with anyone yet.

25. Default Re: WinCo

Any updates on this? I haven't been in the area in Moore in a while but i thought i saw dirtwork the last time i was there....could have been another project. They still haven't done anything in MWC though. If they are going to raze the building, it would make sense to me to do that now so the are all under construction at the same time, so they can open at the same time.

Thread Information