Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oklahoma City Murrah Building Bombing

Default Re: Oklahoma City Murrah Building Bombing

I had been meaning to post about this, but forgot. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but American Experience (PBS) did a documentary on the bombing back in February.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe...oklahoma-city/

I haven't watched yet but the reviews were very positive.

I hadn't seen this, but America n Experience does fantastic work. I'll give it a watch.

Watched a while back - lots of info I didn't know and I experienced it from 10 miles away.

It was very good. I recorded it the night it premiered, and I still have it on the DVR so I can watch it again.

5. Default Re: Oklahoma City Murrah Building Bombing

There was a good podcast on the BBC last fall too. I was surprised that they did another story (i think this was their third) but it was sort of a different perspective as a follow-up with some of the same interviewees from the previous one. It's a good listen. I was listening to it on XM on the way to work and even through the aircard on my laptop on the way into my office from the car so i wouldn't miss part of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04cvmtq

I went down there this morning to pay my respects. There were quite a few people gathering for the service. It's sad thinking of how many lives were lost and changed that day, but the site as redeveloped is beautiful and serene. Hopefully somewhat of a comfort to people. Thoughts and prayers to those who were affected 22 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    There was a good podcast on the BBC last fall too. I was surprised that they did another story (i think this was their third) but it was sort of a different perspective as a follow-up with some of the same interviewees from the previous one. It's a good listen. I was listening to it on XM on the way to work and even through the aircard on my laptop on the way into my office from the car so i wouldn't miss part of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04cvmtq
    I am listening to that on KGOU right now. Very good program so far with good things to say about OKC.

With the 25th anniversary approaching, I've been fascinated with hearing and reading stories about the survivors and where their lives have taken them. Today, however, KFOR posted a story about a VHS tape from the Memorial archives that was removed as evidence in McVeigh's trial and had not been viewed in over 20 years. The tape was made by Kim Burgess, an employee at the Federal Employees Credit Union, who was shooting the video to show her parents where and with whom she worked. It was truly heart-wrenching since some of the people on the video lost their lives in the bombing, as did Kim. I have to say the resilience of Oklahoma City is unparalleled and the healing that's been done since that day is truly remarkable.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma City Murrah Building Bombing

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    With the 25th anniversary approaching, I've been fascinated with hearing and reading stories about the survivors and where their lives have taken them. Today, however, KFOR posted a story about a VHS tape from the Memorial archives that was removed as evidence in McVeigh's trial and had not been viewed in over 20 years. The tape was made by Kim Burgess, an employee at the Federal Employees Credit Union, who was shooting the video to show her parents where and with whom she worked. It was truly heart-wrenching since some of the people on the video lost their lives in the bombing, as did Kim. I have to say the resilience of Oklahoma City is unparalleled and the healing that's been done since that day is truly remarkable.
    I saw that piece on the morning news too. Very touching. I worked for Kerr-McGee R&D lab (150th & Portland) at the time. We pretty much shut down and used the building for counseling of the HQ employees. They brought in bunch of contract counselors. My ex worked in the Sonic building right down the street from the bombing. A few of her co-workers had children in the Murrah building day care. It messed her up. We went and stood with the crowds watching the rescue/recovery effort for days. She was never the same and her change had a bit to do with our eventual split. There were SO many people touched by the bombing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I saw that piece on the morning news too. Very touching. I worked for Kerr-McGee R&D lab (150th & Portland) at the time. We pretty much shut down and used the building for counseling of the HQ employees. They brought in bunch of contract counselors. My ex worked in the Sonic building right down the street from the bombing. A few of her co-workers had children in the Murrah building day care. It messed her up. We went and stood with the crowds watching the rescue/recovery effort for days. She was never the same and her change had a bit to do with our eventual split. There were SO many people touched by the bombing.
    Thanks for that, and all I can do for you, and all who lost someone, is really nothing, but best wishes, and the tears we all cried.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma City Murrah Building Bombing

I so agree with the many good points above! I also knew a person killed and a good friend who was injured while walking a full block away.

It was such a painful day for the country but specifically for the city because virtually all of us knew someone killed, injured, involved in the recovery or the aid rendered to the rescuers in the days after.

I was working in Dallas at the time when a co-wotker brought it to my attention. My mother was in St. Anthony's working and l was able to call her and find out immediately how horrible it really was. It took the national news a while to grasp the seriousness.

My Dad was outside at their home 5 miles away and clearly heard the explosion. His WWII experience immediately made him think it was a bomb.

My sister in Edmond clearly heard it and called my Dad to see if he'd heard it.

I had one close family member who rode the ambulance to the building and saw the worst of the worst of the aftermath which l won't describe here.

A brothers church set up nearby to give food, seating and someone for rescuers to talk to in the aftermath which, if you recall from the weather in the following days, made conditions all around the building nearly unbearable.

All of my local family participated in rescue, medical care and relief work so saw the results of the bombing first-hand. My distant news-watching showed the local first responders, the Mayor and the Governor all did an outstanding job representing the state. I also remember vividly the rage l felt at CBS Anchor Connie Chung and her smug question of "can you (the fire department and city) handle this? - which subsequently led to her resignation from CBS.

In a bad way, the bombing helped the city grow up and, despite the work of a few on here, helped the city realize and work its way from it's "cow town" image.

Been 25 years already. I remember like it was just yesterday. You never know when it's your time.

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Been 25 years already. I remember like it was just yesterday. You never know when it's your time.
    Man you're up late.......I also remember it well. I was one of the first ones there and the destruction and smell of the explosives is still in my memory. RIP to the lost ones.

"In a bad way, the bombing helped the city grow up and, despite the work of a few on here, helped the city realize and work its way from it's "cow town" image"

...which is why some of us who grew up in OKC think the Governor's idea to "rebrand" the state" makes no sense.

The remembrance ceremony that aired on News 9 the morning of the anniversary was awesome. It was different than what was originally planned, but there was something really polished and grown up about it. It reminded me how the city has grown up since that time.

The new icon of the Survivor Tree silhouette 25 years ago superimposed with its outline today was unexpectedly moving.

Does anyone know who the bishop was who gave the message of hope? He was awesome and I’d like to know more about him.

Fall Out Boy referenced "Oklahoma City Bomb(ing)" in their remake of the Billy Joel hit "We Didn't Start the Fire".

Thread Information