Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diversion Hub

Northwest OKC Diversion Hub

It looks like the Diversion Hub is looking at Gatewood Elementary School. https://www.facebook.com/events/3343715265646545/

Default Re: Diversion Hub

Quote Originally Posted by urbanCOWBOY View Post
    It looks like the Diversion Hub is looking at Gatewood Elementary School. https://www.facebook.com/events/3343715265646545/
    That is...not going to be a popular move for a single-family residential neighborhood.

I don't understand. Are they proposing the diversion hub locate at Gatewood or is that just the venue for a stakeholder engagement meeting? Whoever writes their stuff on Facebook needs to be more clear.

For some reason I thought I'd heard that Trinity School might be moving to the Gatewood building. Did I just imagine that?

My wife and I live on Carey Place, half block from Gatewood Elementary. We have 2 young boys, 2 1/2 and 8 weeks. We are not at all ok with this. I am all for this to be a part of Maps 4, but to put this, in an old school, in the middle of an up and coming neighborhood is not ok. I want to be able to help as much as possible but I also don't want to live a half block from a facility like this. Would this fly in the middle of Crown Heights, Mesta Park, Heritage Hills?

To be honest, I think the old school at 10th and Kentucky is a much better location. That site is also available and would do wonders for the continued redevelopment of 10th st.

Yeah I'm a little confused by this. There was an announcement on the Gatewood page on Nextdoor that they were going to have a meeting with a prospective tenant who wanted to keep their status private. Naturally, people were wondering why they would keep their status private and the person who posted about it said that the school is not going to become a homeless shelter or halfway house. This sure sounds like a halfway house to me, unless I'm misunderstanding the Diversion Hub's mission.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Diversion Hub

Everyone wants a diversion hub; just not in my neighborhood?

The diversion hub rehab members are receiving extra help, counseling & assistance to ensure their success when released back into the general population.

Apparently, we can't let go of stigmatizing ex-offenders who aren't sex-offenders or people who could cause that type of harm or risk to the general population.

Forgive Just as God in Christ Also Has Forgiven You
    Palm Sunday

Resource by John Piper

Scripture: Ephesians 4:32–5:2 Topic: Forgiveness

And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you, and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.

Let's find a place where the Diversion Hub will be welcomed without controversy; let's not set it up for failure.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Diversion Hub

MAPS 4 Diversion Hub: https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-4/diversion-hub

https://www.ok.gov/odmhsas/Substance...es_/index.html

Let's find a place where the Diversion Hub will be welcomed without controversy; let's not set it up for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    My wife and I live on Carey Place, half block from Gatewood Elementary. We have 2 young boys, 2 1/2 and 8 weeks. We are not at all ok with this. I am all for this to be a part of Maps 4, but to put this, in an old school, in the middle of an up and coming neighborhood is not ok. I want to be able to help as much as possible but I also don't want to live a half block from a facility like this. Would this fly in the middle of Crown Heights, Mesta Park, Heritage Hills?

To be honest, I think the old school at 10th and Kentucky is a much better location. That site is also available and would do wonders for the continued redevelopment of 10th st.
    This was my thought other than the up and coming. Gatewood elem is very much in the center of an all residential neighborhood (up and coming or not). It isn't a school on a major street like the one on 10th which does make more sense. Just seems like a bad fit for any residential neighborhood.

Blog Entries

I don't know what the DH is supposed to look/feel like, but would an adaptive reuse of the county jail be a good fit for the DH if a new prison gets built before the funds are collected for the hub?

Blog Entries

Wait.... is this NIMBYism? I thought that only happened in Edmond

Per board member Mark Mann, as of close of business today, the diversion hub has withdrawn their proposal for Gatewood Elementary.

I’m sure there was a ton of blowback from the neighborhood on this one. Especially since it was withdrawn after plans were made public less than 24 hrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Per board member Mark Mann, as of close of business today, the diversion hub has withdrawn their proposal for Gatewood Elementary.

I’m sure there was a ton of blowback from the neighborhood on this one. Especially since it was withdrawn after plans were made public less than 24 hrs ago.
    as there should have been it would have been very bad for property values in that neighborhood

Blog Entries

So, NIMBYism is bad if it exists in other neighborhoods, but smart if it’s happening in your own. Why isn’t this a matter of the greater good? I hope this example puts an end to the misplaced accusations of NIMBYism overall as the high ground has been ceded.

Everyone's a NIMBY when it's personal. Most anyone would resist a sewage treatment plant next to their house. If we agree on that, anything else is just negotiation and degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, NIMBYism is bad if it exists in other neighborhoods, but smart if it’s happening in your own. Why isn’t this a matter of the greater good? I hope this example puts an end to the misplaced accusations of NIMBYism overall as the high ground has been ceded.
    significant difference in not wanting something that hurts you property value that is actually in your neighborhood vs not wanting something because it is a change like the guyutees example

or HH neighbors not wanting things in midtown ...

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Everyone's a NIMBY when it's personal. Most anyone would resist a sewage treatment plant next to their house. If we agree on that, anything else is just negotiation and degrees.
    Very well said, Jerry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    significant difference in not wanting something that hurts you property value that is actually in your neighborhood vs not wanting something because it is a change like the guyutees example

or HH neighbors not wanting things in midtown ...
    Wrong! They all claim it hurts their property values or causes harm to them. Don’t just draw arbitrary lines and say it’s okay here but not 1/4 mile further, or justify otherwise. It’s all protectionism.

Blog Entries

Very true. It’s like the saying on economic hardship....it’s a recession if your neighbor is unemployed, and it’s a depression if you are unemployed.

NIMBYism happens everywhere. Some Gatewood residents were against Classen 16. There was also pushback from some to Anatomy Wine bar opening up on 16th.

Currently, the Linwood community is losing their minds over a tri plex proposal on 18th. I don’t think anyone is saying NIMBYs only reside in Edmond.

I would say that in this one instance, the NIMBYs had a a valid point. Putting this facility in an old residential grade school was not a very well thought idea.

Where has anyone ever said this?

There are hundreds of projects in the core that have received some degree of protest and we've discussed here in great detail.

Please stop with the endless lectures.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    as there should have been it would have been very bad for property values in that neighborhood
    How does the abandoned school with three foot tall weeds affect property values?

From Lamarmie's link : the "“Diversion Hub” [is] to assist low-level offenders in establishing a more productive life". The entire point is to support these folks and help get them back on the right track and be productive members of the community. It sounds like a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    How does the abandoned school with three foot tall weeds affect property values?

From Lamarmie's link : the "“Diversion Hub” [is] to assist low-level offenders in establishing a more productive life". The entire point is to support these folks and help get them back on the right track and be productive members of the community. It sounds like a good plan.

this isn't 0 sum there are much better uses for that property

I don't think opposing projects automatically makes you a NIMBY. You might find it ironic me of all people making that statement, but certain projects come out better because of opposition and developers working with surrounding community to enhance it. It's when they oppose just about anything other than the typical strip mall and half acre subdivision lots just to maintain their little bubble of peace and serenity.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post

The school isn’t dilapidated, it’s been “abandoned” for (1) month of a school year. The playground/park is highly utilized by many everyday. The city missed a couple of weeks with weed eating and then people from the neighborhood remedied that on our own. No 3ft weeds in sight. Certainly not an abandoned piece of property bringing down home values. I can assure you home values in Gatewood are doing just fine.

As Boulder said, the option isn’t zero sum. More from Mark Mann:

I am certain that the Gatewood location remains a desirable property for several groups working with youth in Oklahoma City, and I am confident we will in the near future find a tenant that fits well with the neighborhood.
    I think it’s a fair point for the neighborhood to want to pass on this and wait for the right tenant for Gatewood Elementary.

Thread Information