Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep Deuce District

Deep Deuce Deep Deuce District

Automobile Alley _|_Boathouse Row _|_ Bricktown _|_Central Business District
    Deep Deuce_|_Film Row_|_Midtown _|_Plaza District_|_SoSA_|_Uptown / 23rd

Aloft Hotel | Block 42 | Calvary Baptist Church | Central Avenue Villas | Clark Building | Deep Deuce Apartments | Deep Deuce Grill | Embassy Suites | Flatiron Building | Hill, The | Level | Level East | Lofts at Maywood Park | Maywood Apartments | Maywood Apartments Phase II | Maywood Flatiron | Meinders Project | Metropolitan | Mosaic | Native Roots | OIPA Headquarters | OKC Geological Society | OKSEA | Rand Elliott Flatiron | Red Prime | Slaughter's Hall | The Wedge | Urban Johnnie | Urban Roots | WSKY Lounge

Default Re: Deep Deuce

Do you have an invite code or something? I tried signing up but it acted like the neighborhood hadn't been started yet.

That's awesome. Man, things will really liven up once Aloft opens up. Aloft just seems like that kind of place that has active people that would stay there.

So, tonight I was walking my dog and I was astounded at the number of people actually walking up and down 2nd and 3rd streets. People of all ages were out and they were walking more than a block. It felt like a vibrant urban neighborhood. Yippee! When OKSea is open it will add even more dynamism.

There is also a gym and home decor store coming to Maywood Lofts and a dentist and kitchen design place coming to the Clark Building.

All that will help.

I drove home from H&8th thru 2nd street. I was also surprised at the number of people out and about. Was super urban. Glad aloft is done!

8. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Yesterday afternoon and last night the whole of downtown was incredibly vibrant. Deep Deuce was crackling with energy, Bricktown was very busy all day and slammed in the evening (many marathon runners moving about), the area around MBG was PACKED, even away from the Arts Festival, which was itself crazy-full as always. Can't remember what is at the Civic Center, but the house was paced, as were the streets and parking lots around it. I didn't make it to H&8th but take your word for it and already assumed it was buzzing. Traffic was at a crawl throughout downtown, which I don't see as a bad thing.

Last night was a great time to appreciate how far OKC and downtown OKC have come in the past few years, and a cool glimpse into the future. Pretty inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yesterday afternoon and last night the whole of downtown was incredibly vibrant. Deep Deuce was crackling with energy, Bricktown was very busy all day and slammed in the evening (many marathon runners moving about), the area around MBG was PACKED, even away from the Arts Festival, which was itself crazy-full as always. Can't remember what is at the Civic Center, but the house was paced, as were the streets and parking lots around it. I didn't make it to H&8th but take your word for it and already assumed it was buzzing. Traffic was at a crawl throughout downtown, which I don't see as a bad thing.

Last night was a great time to appreciate how far OKC and downtown OKC have come in the past few years, and a cool glimpse into the future. Pretty inspiring.
    Another big impact for this weekend including yesterday, is the USA Canoe and Kayak trials. That brings in a few thousand to the downtown area.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

Anyone in Bicentennial Park?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I saw a few people there. Maybe 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    We walked by it twice parking and walking to Arts Festival. Didn't see anyone in the park. The homeless guy sleeping was on the bench across the street from the park. I think that is a bad sign when even the homeless don't use the park.

Blog Entries

Bicentennial is a beautiful front yard, but not a park with obvious self instigated activities programmed for it. And, the parking for events at the CC are all to the sides and the walkway flow is to get people to the edge as soon as possible. There are pretty walking paths, but not necessarily interesting paths that would make you want to walk a little out of your way just to experience it. So, by contrast, the Myriad Gardens can be enjoyable for a nice little walk, even if you aren't participating in any event. And, MG is so close, BiC can't compete. As a front yard, it is very pretty. As a "park", it just doesn't do much. It is one that needs planned events in bunches or it won't be used much.

That said, this thread was hijacked with an agenda just to take a shot at Bicentennial and has nothing to do with DD. Ugh. The real object of the conversation was and should be how vibrant DD is becoming. There are great things which bring people to the streets in DD. There are true destinations and resident population of people who will participate. Things are developing very well.

The park will get plenty of use when all the housing goes up around that block.

The Civic Center is also WOEFULLY underused which hurts.

I like the actual park itself, and I think it has one of the best views in the city…that alone will help as more people live and move in this currently dead part of town.

I saw 20 people playing soccer on the main lawn Saturday afternoon, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    I saw 20 people playing soccer on the main lawn Saturday afternoon, for what it's worth.

17. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Well, a couple of weeks ago this happened, so I suppose the whole thing is not 100% catastrophic:

18. Default Re: Deep Deuce

[JTF]No, it's only 99% catastrophic.[/JTF]

That park will do much better once the trees mature.

Hopefully, that won't take too long.

20. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Agree. I was really bummed when the previously-existing mature trees came down, but I've grown to like the park for what it is; a front lawn for the Civic Center (as previously mentioned), and think it will be especially nice when the trees are grown. Considering the fact that it is in the middle of a City Beautiful complex of buildings, it actually is pretty appropriate.

Blog Entries

Being a beautiful, peaceful front lawn isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when there is a more programmed park just a short walk away.

Blog Entries

Since this is a DD thread, are there any plans for a small children friendly park in DD? Seems like if you want an evolving neighborhood with young families and not just young singles that there would be a small public play area in the midst of DD. There are lots of these in places like NYC.

And people need to realize that in new parks if the landscaping looks mature at the beginning, it's going to look totally overgrown in just a few years.

Let's face it, this park never was overrun with people even before the re-do and I don't think that's a realistic expectation given the location and the large amount of open space all around.

It will certainly get more use as the area develops around it which is really only starting to happen now.

Does anybody know why the north side of the Block 42 development looks so bad and if there is any plans to fix it? Siding has been falling off of it for quite some time now. I really think its one of the more visually appealing housing developments in OKC at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Does anybody know why the north side of the Block 42 development looks so bad and if there is any plans to fix it? Siding has been falling off of it for quite some time now. I really think its one of the more visually appealing housing developments in OKC at the moment.
    I've driven by this many times using the northbound ramp. They are replacing the siding but they're going at an ALOFT type speed. Hopefully it'll be wrapping up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information