Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Deep Deuce District

Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Even stretching into Bricktown, the number of empty lots and surface parking areas is dwindling pretty quickly.

And of those that remain, it seems there are things working on most of them that will result in development in the near future.

I've said this before but the DD/BT area is by far the most dense and mature mixed-use urban area in the state and there is nothing even close.

BTW, I'm really liking your drone shots. It give a totally different perspective to things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Even stretching into Bricktown, the number of empty lots and surface parking areas is dwindling pretty quickly.

And of those that remain, it seems there are things working on most of them that will result in development in the near future.
    Except for that pesky 10 acre scar right in the middle!

I've said this before but the DD/BT area is by far the most dense and mature mixed-use urban area in the state and there is nothing even close.
    agreed. it will feel even more urban as steelyard and hotel projects finish up. Something that could be improved is connectivity between the two areas... which is gonna be hard because of that pesky parking lot...

Does that parking lot have anything to do with the rail access? It seems pretty wide for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    Does that parking lot have anything to do with the rail access? It seems pretty wide for that purpose.
    There are some issues with the rail right-of-way (existing and need for the future) but there was a big office / parking complex planned for the western end at one time, so there is still plenty of area to develop and I believe that is true all the way to the east.

There are some issues with the rail right-of-way (existing and need for the future) but there was a big office / parking complex planned for the western end at one time, so there is still plenty of area to develop and I believe that is true all the way to the east.
    Are you talking about that big triangle-topped brick building that was supposed to go on the SW corner of this area? I can't remember the name it was given at the time but I remember there being a thread on it way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheNorth View Post
    Are you talking about that big triangle-topped brick building that was supposed to go on the SW corner of this area? I can't remember the name it was given at the time but I remember there being a thread on it way back when.
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=38099

Deep Deuce sign reveal on July 18th: http://downtownokc.com/deep-deuce-sign/

Well, there it is.

10. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

The Deep Deuce sign is being installed right now:

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
    The Deep Deuce sign is being installed right now:

Yup. Caught them in the act around 7:30.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2808.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	13985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2808.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	744.5 KB 
ID:	13984  

I can't tell if it is going to be illuminated or not. I know last night it was not lit up. But perhaps they were waiting for the ceremony this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I can't tell if it is going to be illuminated or not. I know last night it was not lit up. But perhaps they were waiting for the ceremony this morning.
    It will be illuminated.

Probably waiting for today's event before turning it on.

I'll check again tonight and get a photo once it is lit.

15. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Here was a preview from a couple days ago - the sign was in a warehouse, pre-install - posted on the Deep Deuce Twitter account:

I went by last night about 9:15 and the sign was not on.

Not sure why.

I'm really glad to see this go up. Deep Deuce has such an interesting history, it's too bad that not many of the historic structure are still intact. It would also be nice to see something that commemorates the fact that Ralph Ellison was born in this area.

I went by last night about 9:15 and the sign was not on.

Not sure why.
    Waiting on electricity to be hooked up.

I went by last night, too. And after a couple days of looking around it, it appears Ross may be correct, the electric part of it may not be enabled. Probably some type of deal where the city or something has to come do it off the bridge connection. Perhaps this will also re-enable the pedestrian way lights under the bridge which have been inoperable for years.

Just learned OG&E has to get out there and set up a meter then the sign company will return for the final hook-up.

21. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Haha yeah Ross tends to have good sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Haha yeah Ross tends to have good sources.
    Yep. A lost book I found buried in the banks of the N. Canadian written by Jesus Christ himself.

23. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Why are the C and last E bigger than the E and U in Deuce? They're the same size as the "capital" Ds.

Speaking for the last E, the size serves as a balance to the enlarged first D. The first D and the last E serves to sandwich the word mark if you will. As for the C, yeah I kind of have some problems with that. I think its just a characteristic of the c in the font chosen.

Still haven't seen the sign illuminated.

Thread Information