Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep Deuce District

Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Hey, I'm one of those that likes height (I know, go ahead and set me on fire now), .
    You're lucky I live in LA.

Why does this sidewalk not connect? Seems like it could help people find the Wedge from Aloft and other parts of the district.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	220 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	12615

3. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

I've thought it should for years. I assumed it had something to do with the incline. Not sure.

Yea, likely would not be ADA compliant as a direct connection, would need to be zig-zagged or staired.

Blog Entries

Weird how it's better to not have a sidewalk than to have one that is non-ADA. I get it, but there's a bit of irony.

6. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

I'm not 100% sure of which lot that us, but there are a number of lots sprinkled throughout the DD apartments that could not be acquired for the development. They leapfrogged them, and of course could/would not build connecting sidewalks across someone else's property.

That said, "no sidewalk/steps if ADA cannot be included" is a real thing. It has caused some issues as we have looked at better access for all in other parts of downtown; in some areas where there is not room for a ramp but which would still benefit greatly from stairs the choice has been made to provide nothing at all lest it be an ADA violation. Steep grade separations provide the biggest challenge because the length of ramping and number of landings required make the solution take up so much space as to be impractical. It's a tough catch 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I'm not 100% sure of which lot that us, but there are a number of lots sprinkled throughout the DD apartments that could not be acquired for the development. They leapfrogged them, and of course could/would not build connecting sidewalks across someone else's property.
    I took the picture right after walking over the Walnut bridge. So it's across the street from the Aloft and that sidewalk connects to the street the Wedge is on...

It would actually be cool if the Wedge could have a little Wedge sign (maybe like the little R&Js sign on 10th) where that sidewalk should connect so people would know there's a great pizza place just down the hill.

To illustrate where you're talking about, this incomplete walkway is here:

Name:	DeepDeuceSidewalk.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	12643

According to the Oklahoma County Assessor's Office, there's a slender parcel of land here not owned by the apartment complex, and that sidewalk would have to cross this non-owned land. That is very likely to be the reason why the sidewalk doesn't exist here.

Name:	DeepDeuceSidewalk2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	12644

9. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

^^^^^^^^
    Yup, there you go. The DD Apartments generally seem like a cohesive unit, but they are actually a patchwork of land.

My fiance and I would try and connect with stray cats right there on our way to bricktown from DD. I really wish that some progress could be made on chipping away what the railroad company owns there. It's limited, but could be an interesting project.

That highlighted parcel in my post above isn't owned by the railroad - it's actually owned by a private owner. As for the Union Pacific rail corridor, that is very unlikely to go away - and in fact has a decent chance of being reactivated within the next few years. The City contracted with UPRR to do a feasibility study of rehabilitating this corridor and building a new rail bridge to get trains up to the Santa Fe Station platform, in support of projects like the Eastern Flyer passenger train. I'm not sure if the study is complete, as I have been unable to find anything in the City's meeting system about the completion of that study.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    That highlighted parcel in my post above isn't owned by the railroad - it's actually owned by a private owner. As for the Union Pacific rail corridor, that is very unlikely to go away - and in fact has a decent chance of being reactivated within the next few years. The City contracted with UPRR to do a feasibility study of rehabilitating this corridor and building a new rail bridge to get trains up to the Santa Fe Station platform, in support of projects like the Eastern Flyer passenger train. I'm not sure if the study is complete, as I have been unable to find anything in the City's meeting system about the completion of that study.
    I didn't know that, that's pretty interesting. I wonder what kind of rehabilitation would have to be done, and what consideration would be given to people going back and forth between DD and Bricktown. Considering the old wooden rail bridge and current tracks are pretty dilapidated, I'm guessing they would have to put a good amount of money into it. Is there any information on what the feasibility study is to entail?

Blog Entries

guerrilla sidewalk time?

a la guerrilla staircase over the rails

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I'm aware that it's not, but I was just referencing with its proximity.

Building permits have been filed to open Bones, a specialty store offering retail items for dogs and their owners, as well as washing and grooming services.

Bones will be taking the empty space on the west end of Aloft Hotel, which opens to a patio faces a recently-opened dog park.

Plans show a retail area and dog washing stations in the 2,750 square foot space, which has sat empty since the hotel opened in the spring of 2014.

Bones will join several other business along NE 2nd Street in Deep Deuce, including Native Roots market, Flux Salon, Slim men's wear, Koko Fit Club, Bella Vici interior design and shop, Dental 32, Urban Johnnies, Anchor Down and the soon to open Belle Kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Bones will join several other business along NE 2nd Street in Deep Deuce, including Native Roots market, Flux Salon, Slim men's wear, Koko Fit Club, Bella Vici interior design and shop, Dental 32, Urban Johnnies, Anchor Down and the soon to open Belle Kitchen.
    With WSKY, Slaughter's and Deep Deuce Grill on the other end, NE 2nd is shaping up to be a nice corridor and mix of businesses.

I was at DD Grill last night for the first time in quite a while and they were doing a brisk business for a Wednesday night.

Seems like a large space for such an operation. I fail to see how this is the best use of the location.

Interestingly, several restaurants took a run at that space but could never strike a deal.

Seems like an odd choice by the landlord who for a long time insisted any food operation be open from breakfast through dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Interestingly, several restaurants took a run at that space but could never strike a deal.

Seems like an odd choice by the landlord who for a long time insisted any food operation be open from breakfast through dinner.
    Yeah, I doubt this type of endeavor will generate the revenue to keep the space. I live in DD, have a dog, but I doubt I'd be spending a lot of money there, certainly less money than I would at a good restaurant.

This is pretty weird for that space.

This space has always screamed Subway/Quiznos or something like that, to me. Quick, easy, and cheap. I think the Quiznos across I-235 is closing, and I guess maybe Jimmy Johns has DD market on lock.

22. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

even better, I think a chipotle/qdoba/Einstein Bros would kill in there too

Exactly. Any of the fastfood/chains with quick and cheap counter-ordering would be a nice fit, IMO.

Is LEVEL East still happening?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Is LEVEL East still happening?
    Yes, but I don't think there is any rush to get it going.

The area has been used as staging for the Maywood project and that won't wrap for several more months at least.

Thread Information