Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep Deuce District

Default Re: Deep Deuce District

All they would have to do is build a flyover, which is what all of those ramps should be anyways. The cloverleaf take up too much room. If it found a flyover can't be built, then just don't have a ramp their. It is too much to ask some to drive one or two miles north or south to go the highway?

Are you guys crazy? The City and ODOT will NEVER move a road that cars use to create space for people...

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    Are you guys crazy? The City and ODOT will NEVER move a road that cars use to create space for people...
    ODOT, probably not. The city has done that a number of times, however.

I've always wanted to see the railway that is abandoned be turned into a highline park like the one in NYC. It would connect Bricktown to Deep Deuce and then connect to Auto Alley. That's the one thing I see working for any 'park' in DD, but I did learn that the railway is owned by someone who hasn't "shut it down" even tho its covered by trees and bushes. I know I brought this idea up about 2 years ago to OKCtalk and I got a lot of weird feedback that just suggested the idea would never work...but I would still love to see this happen, even if it's just a fantasy...

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    I've always wanted to see the railway that is abandoned be turned into a highline park like the one in NYC. It would connect Bricktown to Deep Deuce and then connect to Auto Alley. That's the one thing I see working for any 'park' in DD, but I did learn that the railway is owned by someone who hasn't "shut it down" even tho its covered by trees and bushes. I know I brought this idea up about 2 years ago to OKCtalk and I got a lot of weird feedback that just suggested the idea would never work...but I would still love to see this happen, even if it's just a fantasy...
    I have thought this for a while. It is planned to be used for eventual commuter rail, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I have thought this for a while. It is planned to be used for eventual commuter rail, I believe.
    Probably not that rail but the space it occupies is in the eventual plans for that. It was a big sticking point for the proposed new parking and housing structure in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    This. Highline is cool.

I have been really surprised by the demographics of the apartments in DD lately. Specifically, Maywood Apartments has a lot more middle aged and families living there. By the number of people I have seen in the building, I would actually guess that those two groups have a majority over single millenials living in the building. Has anyone else noticed this? It really took me by surprise because I think it proves there is a lot more demand than what people realize.

^
    Interesting. Last I heard, Maywood was having trouble leasing, but that was some time ago. Do you feel the building is now full?

^

I bet the opening of the elementary school caused some families to move downtown.

It would be very interesting to do a study of the enrollment at the school; how many people moved into the boundaries recently.

If that proves out, a very strong case for a middle school in the area could be made. Also, perhaps they should considering expanding John Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    ^
    Interesting. Last I heard, Maywood was having trouble leasing, but that was some time ago. Do you feel the building is now full?
    I'm not 100% sure. Probably not. I don't live there, my girlfriend does, so I may be way off on my assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    ^
    I think it's full now - we looked there a few months ago and they only had 2 units left, so I would imagine it's about the same if not fuller now.

Good to hear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	9639

Cool little event and great that there are now so many places in such a small area; this doesn't even include WXYZ Bar at Aloft and of course Anchor Down will soon be open at OKSea:

I love that Skinny Slim's has been adopted by Deep Deuce.

Had a great time at the Christmas Crawl. It was my first time actually touring the Deep Deuce scene (except for WSKY which I'd been to before) and I was impressed with how active and young the scene was there. Decent crowd and plenty of Santa hats. Only complaint we had is that the website listed $5 Old Fashioneds at WSKY as a drink special, and we were charged $10.74 for them only to be informed that it was Old Fashioned shots that were the drink special, which the site didn't say. Last I heard they'd raised at least $1935 and a (very generous!) woman in the crowd offered to match whatever was made.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Had a great time at the Christmas Crawl. It was my first time actually touring the Deep Deuce scene (except for WSKY which I'd been to before) and I was impressed with how active and young the scene was there. Decent crowd and plenty of Santa hats. Only complaint we had is that the website listed $5 Old Fashioneds at WSKY as a drink special, and we were charged $10.74 for them only to be informed that it was Old Fashioned shots that were the drink special, which the site didn't say. Last I heard they'd raised at least $1935 and a (very generous!) woman in the crowd offered to match whatever was made.
    Really wanted to go! Alas being on call put the kibosh on that. Glad it was a great time. One heckuva a neighborhood we have to ourselves now!

20. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

pics? films?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

21. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

^ Thanks for the image, Will.

Again highlights the fact that if OUHSC was Urban, just how close and easy of a walk to the campus it would be for workers.

From the Maywood II, getting across I-235 is literally just a 2 block walk. But, with all the parking garages, and surface parking, it's a good trek to even get to the outskirts of the real "meat" of the OUHSC.

2/8/2015

Cool streetwall

Abandoned rail

Clark Building behind the trees

Is this a private house?

24. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

doesn't even look like OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

25. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

That is a private house. Ferris from the Spy FM lives there, and has a studio in the garage from which he broadcasts.

Thread Information