Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

I am familiar with codified "traffic suggestions" but are you saying it's implicitly acceptable to go 45 on the freeway when the rest of traffic is not?

2. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I am familiar with codified "traffic suggestions" but are you saying it's implicitly acceptable to go 45 on the freeway when the rest of traffic is not?
    I am saying it is legal to drive the minimum posted speed limit if conditions warrant.

What exactly are you trolling for?

I didn't realize insinuating reality was trolling?

4. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

I didn't realize insinuating reality was trolling?
    Well now you know.... So what was your point with that question? Are you saying that driving within the legally posted speed limits is a problem?

I'll put it this way. The far left lane is not the lane to poke along in and let traffic build up behind you. If somebody comes up behind you, it's your obligation to get over and let them by however fast you are they are going.

6. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I'll put it this way. The far left lane is not the lane to poke along in and let traffic build up behind you. If somebody comes up behind you, it's your obligation to get over and let them by however fast you are they are going.
    I will agree it is not the lane to be doing the minimum speed limit in. Slow traffic should remain to the right.

You come up and get on my a$$ and flash your lights at me while I'm in that lane doing the maximum speed limit passing vehicle(s) to my right. You will probably get something flashed back at you. I have no obligation to break the law to allow you to break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I will agree it is not the lane to be doing the minimum speed limit in. Slow traffic should remain to the right.

You come up and get on my a$$ and flash your lights at me while I'm in that lane doing the maximum speed limit passing vehicle(s) to my right. You will probably get something flashed back at you. I have no obligation to break the law to allow you to break the law.
    You need to move over for faster vehicles, plain and simple. If they are speeding, let the police take of them down the road. In the mean time don't obstruct traffic. Even if traffic is moving 10 over the limit, you still need to go with the flown of traffic; it is more dangerous going slower and blocking the flow of traffic.

8. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    You need to move over for faster vehicles, plain and simple. If they are speeding, let the police take of them down the road. In the mean time don't obstruct traffic. Even if traffic is moving 10 over the limit, you still need to go with the flown of traffic; it is more dangerous going slower and blocking the flow of traffic.
    Did you even read the part about passing vehicles to my right? Where the heck do you expect me to move over to?

As I said.... I have no obligation to break the law to move out of that lane for another vehicle. Once I have safely passed any vechicles to my right. Then I am obligated to move to the right and allow a faster moving vehicle to pass.

Except in Oklahoma that vehicle will swerve to the right lane, despite my signal flashing, as I reach a safe distance to make that lane change and attempt to pass me improperly on the right.

Do you really pass anyone going 60? This would be interesting - your homework is to count cars that you pass as well as cars passing you.

OK BBQ Eater, Exactly. ^^

Most heavy speeders are so impatient to not even allow you a chance to safely move over.

I will do 5-8 over in the far left lane only if traffic is moving at that pace. If someone is approaching me at a faster rate, I will move over, but only when I get a chance to. I won't increase my speed to get over.

I leave for work, to arrive approximately 30 minutes before my shift. It's not my problem others do not allow themselves enough time to get where they are going. And I do not allow it to become my problem. If it takes me a half mile to find a spot to safely merge to yield the lane to the faster car, then so be it. I'm not going out of my way to make it happen for them. They should have set their alarm 1 minute earlier, because literally that is all the time they are saving by going 10 mph over.

For example, 8 miles of pure highway at 65mph is a 7 minute, 23 second trip time.

at 75 mph 6 minutes 24 seconds

at 85 mph 5 minutes 38 seconds

It's not my problem you left the house 10 minutes late. Guess what? Speeding at 85 mph will only make you 8 minutes late. It will make you 2 hours late when you blow a tire at 85. Or 30 minutes late when you get pulled over. Or two weeks late when the interstate ahead is at a sudden standstill from congestion, and you plow into the back of someone at 50 mph.

If I am ever late for work, I drive like I do if I am 30 minutes early. The extra minute or two I save, will not make a difference in my pay or my attendance point system. I get a point for being late either way, and I am paid by 1/4 hour. So there is no reward for me in speeding and causing any undue risks to my safety or the safety of others.

11. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Do you really pass anyone going 60? This would be interesting - your homework is to count cars that you pass as well as cars passing you.
    I'm not sure about doing 60, well unless it is during rush hour then you do, but definitely where it is 70. I'm like Catch, I have my timing set to where I know when I need to leave by to give me the padding before I have to be to work. Every day going up 35 through North Norman and Moore it is not unusual at all where speeds of the middle and right lane are 60 or less in the 70 speed zone. That means you can easily pass cars, in a timely manner, doing the speed limit.

I also have no problem doing 5-7 over the limit if that is the flow of traffic and I need to do that to pass. I'm not going to do 15-20 over though. Those people are just inconsiderate of others and if I pass them smoldering in their wreckage after plowing into a support pillar, my condolences to their family for birthing an idiot.

The people that get me, and I run into this all the time on Hwy 9 lately, are those that feel the need to pass on the shoulder because traffic isn't going fast enough for them. It was just ridiculous a couple weeks ago that I could 4 or 5 guys doing it. I was just getting so out of hand I ended up calling Norman PD and they have OHP ready for them as well. I get some people like to drive fast, but that shoulder is not meant for passing or driving.

There are times where I wish people were required to go back and do road tests every 8 or 12 years when renewing their license. It would hilarious to see how many would end up failing the road test and have their license suspended. Put in a requirement to attend driver's ed and retest 7 days later...people would hopefully shape up pretty quick. It would also help to isolate those that have lost their ability to drive that just aren't safe anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    I'm not sure about doing 60, well unless it is during rush hour then you do, but definitely where it is 70. I'm like Catch, I have my timing set to where I know when I need to leave by to give me the padding before I have to be to work. Every day going up 35 through North Norman and Moore it is not unusual at all where speeds of the middle and right lane are 60 or less in the 70 speed zone. That means you can easily pass cars, in a timely manner, doing the speed limit.

I also have no problem doing 5-7 over the limit if that is the flow of traffic and I need to do that to pass. I'm not going to do 15-20 over though. Those people are just inconsiderate of others and if I pass them smoldering in their wreckage after plowing into a support pillar, my condolences to their family for birthing an idiot.

The people that get me, and I run into this all the time on Hwy 9 lately, are those that feel the need to pass on the shoulder because traffic isn't going fast enough for them. It was just ridiculous a couple weeks ago that I could 4 or 5 guys doing it. I was just getting so out of hand I ended up calling Norman PD and they have OHP ready for them as well. I get some people like to drive fast, but that shoulder is not meant for passing or driving.

There are times where I wish people were required to go back and do road tests every 8 or 12 years when renewing their license. It would hilarious to see how many would end up failing the road test and have their license suspended. Put in a requirement to attend driver's ed and retest 7 days later...people would hopefully shape up pretty quick. It would also help to isolate those that have lost their ability to drive that just aren't safe anymore.
    I just wish more people understood time differences, and how speeding does not save any time. When I dated a girl in Edmond several years ago, for fun (and because I love numbers) I timed my commute to Edmond. I used the same route, and used several different speed profiles (speed limit+0,non-aggresive; speed limit+10,semi-aggressive;speed limit+15,very aggressive). Over a 2 month period, my average times were within seconds of each other. Each profile resulted in an average which came to a matter of seconds of the other two averages.

Any time I made up by speeding on the highway, was subtracted by stop lights. If the stoplight is on a 2 minute cycle, you have to make up more than 2 minutes of time to beat that light. For example, on a 2 minute cycle, you will get a green at 12:00, 12:02, 12:04, 12:06, 12:08, 12:10 etc. Driving at 60 will get you to that light at 12:04. Speeding at 70 will get you to that light possibly at the end of the 12:02 cycle. If you hit that light, you will depart that light at 12:04, the exact same time as you will have departed that light by driving 60mph.

It was a complete wash. All 3 driving profiles resulted in extremely similar times (again, down to seconds difference). 17 miles highway, 4 city, 4 stoplights. Doesn't matter what driving profile, the same ETA.

After that experiment, I stopped speeding excessively, and reduced myself to a less aggressive driving profile. The only thing I got out of speeding was a $182 ticket one day during the experiment, and increased fuel burn.

13. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I just wish more people understood time differences, and how speeding does not save any time. When I dated a girl in Edmond several years ago, for fun (and because I love numbers) I timed my commute to Edmond. I used the same route, and used several different speed profiles (speed limit+0,non-aggresive; speed limit+10,semi-aggressive;speed limit+15,very aggressive). Over a 2 month period, my average times were within seconds of each other. Each profile resulted in an average which came to a matter of seconds of the other two averages.

Any time I made up by speeding on the highway, was subtracted by stop lights. If the stoplight is on a 2 minute cycle, you have to make up more than 2 minutes of time to beat that light. For example, on a 2 minute cycle, you will get a green at 12:00, 12:02, 12:04, 12:06, 12:08, 12:10 etc. Driving at 60 will get you to that light at 12:04. Speeding at 70 will get you to that light possibly at the end of the 12:02 cycle. If you hit that light, you will depart that light at 12:04, the exact same time as you will have departed that light by driving 60mph.

It was a complete wash. All 3 driving profiles resulted in extremely similar times (again, down to seconds difference). 17 miles highway, 4 city, 4 stoplights. Doesn't matter what driving profile, the same ETA.

After that experiment, I stopped speeding excessively, and reduced myself to a less aggressive driving profile. The only thing I got out of speeding was a $182 ticket one day during the experiment, and increased fuel burn.
    Completely agree. It isn't worth it to speed excessively when you are only going to make up a minute or two if that.

I have found that in OKC, you can be doing 60 and still be passing people, especially on the Hefner Parkway where people seem to really like going 5-10 mph below the speed limit.

Ugh, good! While in general I think OKC drivers are tame and polite compared to those back home, I was stunned to see people whipping around me through the shoulder on Highway 9, and I have only noticed this recently as well. For me, at least, it keeps happening at the busy intersection with 12th SE at rush hour, where people want to head south on 12th and there is often a long line of cars behind the light (that moves in no time if you were to, you know, actually just wait a bit). Unreal.

16. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Yes I do. You ask that question like it's some kind of impossibility.

All of this discussion makes me glad I drive as a little as possible. I drive the speed limit and hardly ever speed. My car warns me if I go 5 mph over the posted speed limit and a second warning (both visual and audible) if the car ever hits 75 mph. In areas where the speed limit is between 35 and 45 I use cruise control to make sure I don't speed. Does it piss off people behind me who are running late? Probably, because I see them throw their arms in the air and make other gestures, but you know, that is their problem. They should have left earlier. On the interstate I drive almost exclusively in the right lane and only change lanes to allow traffic to merge on. I have found that doing this saves gas, makes my drive more enjoyable, keeps out of trouble with the law (no speeding tickets in over 20 years), and as catch22 pointed out, I arrive at my destination at almost the exact same time.

Now for the question of are OKC drivers better or worse than other drivers. I guess that all depends on the individual because this clown in Houston the other day would be a bad driver no matter where he lived.

Raw: METRO train smashes into red-light runner | khou.com Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Two things I've also noticed:
    1.) Rubbernecking. Several times I've noticed traffic on the highway slow in all lanes and I've wondered what the deal was. Then a mile of so later I'll see someone in the opposite flow of the highway across the median changing a flat, or a two car fender bender. Then the traffic disappears and everyone speeds up.
    And you know they were changing a flat or minor fender-bender how?

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    As I said.... I have no obligation to break the law to move out of that lane for another vehicle. Once I have safely passed any vechicles to my right. Then I am obligated to move to the right and allow a faster moving vehicle to pass.

Glad you're doing this the right way, now please teach the rest of the idiots that can't figure this out! For every one of you doing it the right way, there's at least one that I come up behind, flash my lights at, wave them over, sometimes doing it multiple times, giving them a chance to do the right thing, and they will not move over even if they're going the speed limit and the right lane is clear of cars next to them and for half a mile ahead. Then I pass them on the right, and they invariably flip me off or try to match my speed. WTF, really, they're so in the wrong, yet they think I'm the ***hole? SMH...

I will give drivers on the Kilpatrick props for moving over better than the ones on the Parkway (and yes, I know the same people could be driving on both roads, not sure how to explain the discrepancy), sometimes even without me flashing my lights at them, *and* using their turn signal!

20. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Glad you're doing this the right way, now please teach the rest of the idiots that can't figure this out! For every one of you doing it the right way, there's at least one that I come up behind, flash my lights at, wave them over, sometimes doing it multiple times, giving them a chance to do the right thing, and they will not move over even if they're going the speed limit and the right lane is clear of cars next to them and for half a mile ahead. Then I pass them on the right, and they invariably flip me off or try to match my speed. WTF, really, they're so in the wrong, yet they think I'm the ***hole? SMH...

I will give drivers on the Kilpatrick props for moving over better than the ones on the Parkway (and yes, I know the same people could be driving on both roads, not sure how to explain the discrepancy), sometimes even without me flashing my lights at them, *and* using their turn signal!
    I see this way too much travelling between OKC and Ardmore. I always make that trip with the cruise control on and stay in the right hand lane except to pass. It boggles my mind how many cars I actually pass that are going less than the speed limit in the left lane.

Now it does seem to be more prevalent between Norman and Purcell. So I think a lot of people that are going to take the first Purcell exit just get in the left lane and stay there until they get to Purcell instead of moving to the right like they are supposed to be doing.

They should have set their alarm 1 minute earlier, because literally that is all the time they are saving by going 10 mph over.

For example, 8 miles of pure highway at 65mph is a 7 minute, 23 second trip time.

at 75 mph 6 minutes 24 seconds

at 85 mph 5 minutes 38 seconds

It's not my problem you left the house 10 minutes late. Guess what? Speeding at 85 mph will only make you 8 minutes late. It will make you 2 hours late when you blow a tire at 85. Or 30 minutes late when you get pulled over. Or two weeks late when the interstate ahead is at a sudden standstill from congestion, and you plow into the back of someone at 50 mph.

If I am ever late for work, I drive like I do if I am 30 minutes early. The extra minute or two I save, will not make a difference in my pay or my attendance point system. I get a point for being late either way, and I am paid by 1/4 hour. So there is no reward for me in speeding and causing any undue risks to my safety or the safety of others.

Holy cow. I took a class but never had the numbers memorized, but this is insane. I observe cars zoom past me when I'm driving the speed limit and 95% of the time I will see them again before I exit the interstate. Not because I get road rage and chase them down, but because they'll end up right behind a car driving the speed limit or because they're exiting at the same exit as me. They spend all that energy and impatience to get somewhere faster only to be stopped at the same red light as me. Your example is the ultimate example though since you recorded the numbers and kind of blew up the whole "excessive speeding" mentality.

22. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Holy cow. I took a class but never had the numbers memorized, but this is insane. I observe cars zoom past me when I'm driving the speed limit and 95% of the time I will see them again before I exit the interstate. Not because I get road rage and chase them down, but because they'll end up right behind a car driving the speed limit or because they're exiting at the same exit as me. They spend all that energy and impatience to get somewhere faster only to be stopped at the same red light as me. Your example is the ultimate example though since you recorded the numbers and kind of blew up the whole "excessive speeding" mentality.
    This was my experience yesterday. There was a car that flew past me on Hwy 9 in Norman. I remembered it because of the out of state license plate that stuck in my head for some reason. I did my usual thing. Obey the limit in the construction zone. Stay with in 5 mph of the speed limit until it hits 70 in North Norman and then do 70-73 until it slows down in Moore. After I was on 240 the same car ended up passing me when I got to the Penn exit and was tailgating as much as possible to get around people. By the time I exited 44 we were pretty much even.

I just had to chuckle at home much gas they probably wasted with all the speed up/slow down and aggressive driving. Just another example of why there is no point to be a douche or speed through traffic.

I just had to chuckle at home much gas they probably wasted with all the speed up/slow down and aggressive driving. Just another example of why there is no point to be a douche or speed through traffic.
    Sometimes it works in the "douche"'s advantage - get through one red light, might make it through another, then might make it through another, and then you get on the highway and make it to their exit without getting stuck behind blockers, do things like that a few times and yes, the "douche" has successfully shaved 10-15 minutes off their time. Doesn't happen often, I'd guess, but often enough to sometimes make it worthwhile. I don't do the weaving around and tailgating, though, but yes, I've sped a few times to make sure I make it through a certain light, because I know the traffic signal patterns and I know that if I can make it through *this* one and drive a certain speed, I can make it through the next couple (barring heavy traffic) and save time. I also drive very far ahead of my front bumper, as far as possible, which helps me time things.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Sometimes it works in the "douche"'s advantage - get through one red light, might make it through another, then might make it through another, and then you get on the highway and make it to their exit without getting stuck behind blockers, do things like that a few times and yes, the "douche" has successfully shaved 10-15 minutes off their time. Doesn't happen often, I'd guess, but often enough to sometimes make it worthwhile. I don't do the weaving around and tailgating, though, but yes, I've sped a few times to make sure I make it through a certain light, because I know the traffic signal patterns and I know that if I can make it through *this* one and drive a certain speed, I can make it through the next couple (barring heavy traffic) and save time. I also drive very far ahead of my front bumper, as far as possible, which helps me time things.
    It happens just as much as these people saying speeding 5-10 over only saves you one or two minutes. That is only based on going on set path with no obstructions and doesn't take into account any traffic lights. I posted a graphic awhile back that explained to differences in speeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It happens just as much as these people saying speeding 5-10 over only saves you one or two minutes. That is only based on going on set path with no obstructions and doesn't take into account any traffic lights. I posted a graphic awhile back that explained to differences in speeding.
    Sorry but I had two months of a real world experiment that combined city and highway driving, and the results were too similar to justify speeding.

Thread Information