Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog trainer or any kind of training

Default Re: Dog trainer or any kind of training

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    So you put Tabasco on dog poop but not just go ahead and pick it up?
    No my dog didnt eat her poop.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    No my dog didnt eat her poop.
    Evidently you didn't pick it up either.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave5 View Post
    Okctalker,

I just said the first dog wasn't my doing but my mom's. Please read before commenting.

Also, you obviously have no compassion for dogs or think of them as living breathing souls if you think it's not a tough call to get rid if a pet. Have you been to a shelter? Have you seen how lonely some of those dogs are? Also, have you read the paper or watched the news? There are so many people who abuse their animals that I would never give my dogs to anyone. You may be painting me out to be a bad person, but you're just as guilty. With all respect: piss off. And have a wonderful day.
    Airwave, your lack of respect is noted. Know a little bit about me: I literally have forgotten more about dog training and obedience than you know. I grew up in a house similar to what you describe, one with entirely unhousebroken and untrained animals. When I moved into my own home I picked up books on pet ownership and determined that an English Springer Spaniel was the right breed for me. It was. Since then I have trained five dogs for wheelchair service on behalf of national service dog organizations. I have had more pet dogs than I can quickly count. I have put down all of them as their lives reached the end, all in the back room with the vet. I lost a dog to osteosarcoma following surgery & chemo. I saved a dog after a rattlesnake bite on the muzzle. I have rescued a dog found abandoned on a country road. I have a shelter-rescued dog in my office with me right now. I. Know. Dogs.

And I'm not saying that you're a bad person, I never did - but I'll stand behind saying that you were totally clueless in bringing a dog into your environment based upon how you describe it and yourself. You want help training two dogs but you don't know what you don't know - you don't give dogs to a trainer and they magically return trained. It isn't a pill. It isn't binary. In your situation it takes you, plus everyone else in the home, all on the same page, working with a trainer, to make it happen.

I'm empathetic to your situation, but I'm also direct, blunt & matter-of-fact. If you want hugs & kisses I'm not that guy, not for this. You need a dog-related solution to improve your home situation, and I gave it to you.

Picking up a dog from someone handing them out in a Walmart parking lot shows there was absolutely no planning on anyone's part about adopting a pet. Irresponsibility at it's finest whether it was you or your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Evidently you didn't pick it up either.
    Why do you say that?

I tried peepads for a small diabetic dog. I stood up a firewood log for authenticity. The mission was aborted when the rottweiler found it of her liking. lol

Quote Originally Posted by gjl
    Irresponsibility at it's finest whether it was you or your mom.
    I disagree with your blanket statement on irresponsibility here. Plenty a stray animal has been adopted right off the street with no pre-planning, just as plenty an animal has been "purchased" from a roadside puppy pusher as a spur of the moment decision. Heck, our beagle came to live in our home during a trip to pet smart to purchase supplies for our other two dogs. She was, as we continue to call her, our "impulse buy," but is as integrated part of the family as our other two. My first pet ever was a dog my mom found in the parking lot at Penn Square Mall and she lived with us happily for some 13+ years, and when we first got her, we had nary a dog bowl in the house, much less collar, food, dog bed, or any of the common accoutrements one normally procures for a pet. Nor had we put any pre-planning into the decision. Many years later, my mom adopted another stray she found running around the Gatewood area. Again, with very positive results.

Many life decisions are made spur-of-the-moment, and while not all work out or end up being in the best interest, they are not all summarily bad or irresponsible. No doubt, this family felt they were doing the best they could. They simply need some guidance in how to handle a situation for which they were not wholly prepared. Better than leaving the dog out on the street and it's obvious the OP cares deeply about his animal, otherwise he wouldn't turn here for help. And as has been repeated a few times in this thread, it's the humans that need the behavioral adjustment first, not the dogs.

My Corgi that just died was a planned buy but my other two dogs are rescued and I wouldn't say it was irresponsibility on my part because they are well taken care of.

I can only think of one pet I ever planned. The rest just happened.

My wife and I got a rescue after a friend posted the pic on Facebook. We had been talking about gettting a dog, so the timing was right for us. The Lab Rescue group picked it up on the day it was to be put down, and it took us a week to fill out paperwork and pick her up at their vet. We had our vet check her out, and then spent the weekend seeing how she behaved (temperament, possessiveness, aggression, fear, intelligence). She developed hip displaysia & arthritis at one year of age, but that couldn't be known until her bones stopped growing, so we have her on some meds for that. She's health, happy, well-behaved and a big part of our family.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    I can only think of one pet I ever planned. The rest just happened.
    Kind of like my kids lol

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave5 View Post
    ... Is there any kind of dog trainer or any training service that could assist both
    of my dogs in their respective areas?
    I took my dog to Pet Smart and was pleased. Although potty training wasn't
    discussed specifically, the trainer could help. It wasn't expensive.

The training is really for the pet owner and not the dog.

Thread Information