Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

1. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

I have no doubt that is true but the justification of awarding an amount so far in excess of the worth of the land would be interesting to read.

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I have no doubt that is true but the justification of awarding an amount so far in excess of the worth of the land would be interesting to read.
    I mean.. anyone who has tried a jury case (I have tried a few) knows that juries are very unpredictable. In a civil case, you can get a defendant's verdict when you are 100% sure and have the best possible facts behind you. I've had that happen to me. My dad (former judge) had a case where a child molester had written an apology to the victim and that apology was admitted into evidence. The jury acquitted after 45 minutes of deliberations. He called up District Judge Jack Parr, to ask him what he was supposed to do when he took the bench--he wanted to tear into the jury. He was told to thank the jury for their service and send them on their way. The next week, Parr was in the news for laying into a jury he thought got it wrong.

Here, I'll bet you the ODOT attorneys thought they could get a defense friendly verdict and save some money. They got it wrong. They're probably right moer than they're wrong about those sorts of things, but you put a case to a jury and anything can happen. That's why the vast majority of these cases settle.

Homeowners should be getting higher than market value. The amount of time and effort to move can be costly. The biggest problem is that finding a property like yours nearby may be nearly impossible and may force you to live even further away to get a like property. Living further out makes it more expensive time and money wise. The OTA paying above market value would make the process a little bit easier for the homeowner.

Relocation costs are part of the deal. We had a similar case in Garfield County with the Super Walmart where we got the county to agree that our client's property was damaged to 100% of the value because they could no longer access it for ag purposes. So I think these homeowners were entitled to a similar deal. I'm guessing the appraisals being talked about in the news are what they thought the property was damaged, not including the value of the remainder. I'm thinking two pieces of land bisected by a turnpike with zero access probably aren't worth much.

All these posters upset that someone in their opinion is "getting over." It should be noted that this case has been tied up for over 5 years and interest has been accruing. Also State Rep Conley Klan sold her property for over 100k of its appraisal. The linked article explains why OTA pays in excess of appraisal. Klan got to live in her house rent free for a year plus other benefits.
    https://kfor.com/news/local/lawmaker...urnpike-plans/

And an article on the family who fought OTA and won.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...0f37c4aa&ei=24

Ok here is my beef with OTA. This week I had to go to Tulsa for some personal business. I know how to get to that place. After I had planned to meet a lady about a facebook market place ad. She said get on 75 south and get off at 111th Ok. Well do to confusing signs I would up on the Creek nation tpk. I got off at the first exit. I called her back to find out how I get from that location to her. Found out she just moved to Oklahoma and had no idea where I was. After driving in the wrong direction that she gave me I did finally meet up with her about an hour later. Ok on Thurs I call OTA about the confusing sign and that I feel that I should not be charged that toll since I was stuck and could not back down the ramp it was 5 pm rush hour. I had no place else that I could go after i figured out that the sign was wrong. They said I needed to go to 122nd and I 35 to have it taken care of. Ok I drive there. The steps up are well sort of round and almost fell, I have bad knees. Ok then I get in and wait in line only to find out that they only sell Pike Passes and they cannot help me. They did say there was a ramp ( again no sign to be able to avoid the steps) ugh I cannot do ramps. Wasted trip. Thanks OTA for telling to go to the wrong office.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Ok here is my beef with OTA. This week I had to go to Tulsa for some personal business. I know how to get to that place. After I had planned to meet a lady about a facebook market place ad. She said get on 75 south and get off at 111th Ok. Well do to confusing signs I would up on the Creek nation tpk. I got off at the first exit. I called her back to find out how I get from that location to her. Found out she just moved to Oklahoma and had no idea where I was. After driving in the wrong direction that she gave me I did finally meet up with her about an hour later. Ok on Thurs I call OTA about the confusing sign and that I feel that I should not be charged that toll since I was stuck and could not back down the ramp it was 5 pm rush hour. I had no place else that I could go after i figured out that the sign was wrong. They said I needed to go to 122nd and I 35 to have it taken care of. Ok I drive there. The steps up are well sort of round and almost fell, I have bad knees. Ok then I get in and wait in line only to find out that they only sell Pike Passes and they cannot help me. They did say there was a ramp ( again no sign to be able to avoid the steps) ugh I cannot do ramps. Wasted trip. Thanks OTA for telling to go to the wrong office.
    did you try a tag agency? that is where you likely need to go

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    did you try a tag agency? that is where you likely need to go
    Tag agencies don’t offer turnpike refunds.

Tag agencies have nothing to do with OTA. The big issue is not the $2 but the fact of bad signage and me having to drive around for an hour to try to get where I was trying to go. Confusing signage is not acceptable. Esp when it takes you way out of your way and you are doing this at rush hour. The traffic on 75 was more then stupid when people are driving 3 wide in 2 lanes. I get lane split fo rmotorcycles but cars????

I am mad at OTA sending me to a Pikepass location. I did not need a Pikepass. I needed to get the signage and $2 plate pay taken care of. Its not the $2 its the mess of trying to drive and find were I was. I did not take a map with me. I guess I need to keep a map with me in my truck.

I am mad at OTA sending me to a Pikepass location. I did not need a Pikepass. I needed to get the signage and $2 plate pay taken care of. Its not the $2 its the mess of trying to drive and find were I was. I did not take a map with me. I guess I need to keep a map with me in my truck.
    what about a sign was confusing? ?

US 75 south just south of Tulsa. I was looking for 111th. Sign said exit and 111th st. I got in that lane and when I was at the exit (it was 5 pm traffic) I thought it was exit as well as turnpike entrance. Like after getting off then it split to 111th st and then the turnpike entrance. Nope. It was just to get on the turnpike. I could not stop or back up the ramp since that would be unsafe. i got off at the first exit. I dont know the area. I called the lady back that I was meeting for a facebook market page meet up. She said go south then turn back west and go to the Walmart. Well that Walmart is in Sapulpa. I drove the parking lot looking fo rher vehicle. could not find it. Called her back and she told me where she was. I said I was by the fuel pumps. No pumps at the one she was at. Asked where she was. She said on 111st but did not know the cross street, she just moved to Tulsa from Calif. I tried back to the east and found another Walmart. Ok that was not a fun 1 hr. I did not take a map with me. I dont know that area. Ugh that is why I am upset. I should have taken my Tulsa area map.

Its not the $2 toll that I will be charged. I called OTA the next day, they said that I have to come to 122nd and I 35 to talk about it. They could do nothing over the phone. Ok so I drive to 122nd and I 35. They said they only sell Pike Passes there. See why I am mad.

Its not the $2 toll that I will be charged. I called OTA the next day, they said that I have to come to 122nd and I 35 to talk about it. They could do nothing over the phone. Ok so I drive to 122nd and I 35. They said they only sell Pike Passes there. See why I am mad.
    Are you mad that you wasted more than $2 in gas and time to argue paying a $2 toll?

I feel like I have to point out that the Glenpool walmart is off of 121st st, not 111th, so that is what led to your confusion and eventual turnpike fiasco. Don't think they will refund anyone for accidentally getting on the turnpike, otherwise there would be a lot more reported "accidental" usage.

Anyway, anyone been by the turnpike widening project on Turner in awhile? I am wondering if it has advanced to the "concrete walls on both sides" stage where it becomes easier to take route 66 during peak times. Looks clear on traffic view so far.

I am mad because I thought I was getting off at the 111 st exit and instead got on the turnpike due to bad signage. I dont know the area and the person told me to get off at 111 st exit. I drove around for an hour trying to find her. I am mad due to bad signage. I wanted to explain the bad sign to the person at the OTA number that I called. They said I need to talk in person about the sign. They said I have to go to the office at 122nd and I 35 to talk about the sign. I went to 122nd and I 35 and the people there said they only sell pike passes and dont do anything about signs. This is why I am upset. Wild goose chase by OTA

I got off on something and the lady said go west I went west to the wrong walmart. That was not the issue. it was the sign. I was lost. The lady had no idea where I was since I could not now follow her directions. I did not have my map with me. I am not talking about a $2 toll, I am talking about winding up lost without a map then being told my ota to drive to the 122nd office, ie this is where are offices of ota are located and you need to come down here in person and speek to the right person about the signage issue.

I got off on something and the lady said go west I went west to the wrong walmart. That was not the issue. it was the sign. I was lost. The lady had no idea where I was since I could not now follow her directions. I did not have my map with me. I am not talking about a $2 toll, I am talking about winding up lost without a map then being told my ota to drive to the 122nd office, ie this is where are offices of ota are located and you need to come down here in person and speek to the right person about the signage issue.
    except it was not the sing

i looked at it on google st view ..

there were 2 different signs ..

the turnpike exit sign and the 111th in 1/2 mile sign ..

So this was a PlatePay or a Pikepass plate lookup charge? There would have been a greater chance of them dismissing the toll if you called them immediately instead of paying. Cost more to go after that 2 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    I feel like I have to point out that the Glenpool walmart is off of 121st st, not 111th, so that is what led to your confusion and eventual turnpike fiasco. Don't think they will refund anyone for accidentally getting on the turnpike, otherwise there would be a lot more reported "accidental" usage.

Anyway, anyone been by the turnpike widening project on Turner in awhile? I am wondering if it has advanced to the "concrete walls on both sides" stage where it becomes easier to take route 66 during peak times. Looks clear on traffic view so far.
    Was on the Turner last Wednesday, Apr 10. K rails are up on all lanes and dirt work is underway. No traffic issues when I passed through mid afternoon.

I called the next morning. I did not get home until like 8pm and was tired. I found the signage confusing in heavy traffic. That was the issue. The next was being told to drive to 122nd and I 35. I dont like being told that I have to go there to discuss the signage issue and then getting there only to find out they sell pike passes. I asked if they handle signage issues and they said they dont. I was told to call OTA number again. The number that sent me to 122nd and I35. See the issue. I dont want to be driving all over okc on a wild goose chase.

FWIW, after some stupid Pikepass shenanigans with my account, about 15 years ago I closed that account and opened a NTTA account and have been ever so happy. The online experience is incredible and their phone app is excellent. With turnpike interoperability now between all the turnpikes, there's no reason to be married to a subpar outfit.

NTTA also has a points system which you accumulate points each time you go through a gate. I was able to redeem points for 20% off Texas Rangers tickets for my family last season. They have a ton of stuff you can redeem them and not just in the Dallas area, but online stores, etc.

One time about 2 years ago I did get an OTA notice violation of running a gate. I called them and told them I had an NTTA account, they put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back and said it just must have not been read and they removed the violation and my NTTA account was debited the 40-some cents.

I recommend it if you're tired of the Pikepass shenanigans.

By the way I dont have a pikepass and never have. I dont think I use the turnpikes enough to try to figure them out. Sorry I am low tech older lady.

I called the next morning. I did not get home until like 8pm and was tired. I found the signage confusing in heavy traffic. That was the issue. The next was being told to drive to 122nd and I 35. I dont like being told that I have to go there to discuss the signage issue and then getting there only to find out they sell pike passes. I asked if they handle signage issues and they said they dont. I was told to call OTA number again. The number that sent me to 122nd and I35. See the issue. I dont want to be driving all over okc on a wild goose chase.
    also the "signage issue" you are talking about was on US 75 the ok turnpike authority doesn't put up those signs ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    also the "signage issue" you are talking about was on US 75 the ok turnpike authority doesn't put up those signs ..
    And here are the signs. It's pretty plain.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0127...8192?entry=ttu

And the real issue seems to be the Walmart is at the 121st St exit in Glenpool, not 111th. The lady gave you bad info.

Thread Information