Thread: Old Restaurants

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Prunepicker Guest

Default Old Restaurants

Does anyone remember Hoe Sai Gai on 3900 NW 39th? I know about the
    restaurant on NW 50th and N Shields.

I just don't remember the place on NW 39th, and I'm assuming on the
    Expressway. I definitely remember the place on NW 50th and N Shields.
    Who doesn't, unless they were born after 1960?

As far as I know the one on NW 50th and N Shield is concerned, I was
    always under the impression that it was opened in order to provide for their
    children's college education. Perhaps it's success allowed for another
    restaurant.

Any thoughts? CT? Stan? Anyone older than me?

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Prunepicker,
    I remember Hoe Sai Gai, but I never ate there. Also, where is N. W. 50th and Shields, it doesn't show on google maps. I thought Shields ended near Main in downtown OKC. By the way, your link to Ho Sai Gai went to an ad for their restaurant on 3800 N. W. 63rd.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Does anyone remember Hoe Sai Gai on 3900 NW 39th? I know about the
    restaurant on NW 50th and N Shields.

I just don't remember the place on NW 39th, and I'm assuming on the
    Expressway. I definitely remember the place on NW 50th and N Shields.
    Who doesn't, unless they were born after 1960?

As far as I know the one on NW 50th and N Shield is concerned, I was
    always under the impression that it was opened in order to provide for their
    children's college education. Perhaps it's success allowed for another
    restaurant.

Any thoughts? CT? Stan? Anyone older than me?

Prunepicker,
    I have eaten there! It wasn't on Shields, it was at 5201 N. Shartel, see below. It had been Jacques (Orenstein) restaurant and I have eaten there as well. I still don't know about any other locations other than the one I mentioned in my first post.
    C. T.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ho Sai Gai - July 21, 1978.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	6995

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    I have eaten there! It wasn't on Shields, it was at 5201 N. Shartel, see below.
    C. T.
    You're exactly right. I was thinking about House of Chan just off of NW
    39th Expressway and a block west of N. Penn.

You're exactly right. I was thinking about House of Chan just off of NW
    39th Expressway and a block west of N. Penn.
    Remember House of Chan. It was the restaurant that we went to when out of town relatives stayed at the Habana Inn.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by biznesschic1959 View Post
    Remember House of Chan. It was the restaurant that we went to when out of
    town relatives stayed at the Habana Inn.
    I can still taste that warm rye bread. OKC put the House of Chan out of
    business when it decided to "improve" the access to 66. What a shame. A
    true OKC icon destroyed under the guise of progress.

Puke.

Barf.

Gut wrenching hurl.

Prunepicker Guest

Does anyone remember Oui Lin's on N Penn and about NW 12th? There was
    something about having the food served on silver platters. Most Chinese
    restaurants did that in the 50's and 60's.

They also served hot rye bread and butter. Loved it.

Prunepicker,
    My wife and I went to Oui Lin's often (she loved the garlic frittered chicken). Then one day, we were served shrimp fried rice with spoiled shrimp. They were kind, didn't charge us and brought us fresh meals (that we couldn't eat), and we could never go back. If You've ever had spoiled shrimp, you'll understand. Most Chinese restaurants served hot rye bread, it was in a basket covered by a cloth napkin. House of Chan was where my mother and dad took us in the 40's.
    C. T.

I grew up eating at Oui Lin's in the '70s... this was the only place we ever went out to eat. My dad loved the garlic chicken.

My mom worked part time at Jackson's Drugstore on the north end of that strip. Wow... memories.

Remember that one also. My husband and I rented an apartment across the street when we were first married. I believe there was an old abandoned movie theater in that mall also.

I remember them well! The thing that stands out in my mind is their egg rolls tasted like peanut butter! They probably used peanut oil for frying… do you remember a Chinese restaurant on North May Ave., around 27th-30th street, on the west side? It was a storefront type, in a building with other businesses… not the one that was in the old IHOP…

Quote Originally Posted by 41h@att.net View Post
    I remember them well! The thing that stands out in my mind is their egg rolls tasted like peanut butter! They probably used peanut oil for frying… do you remember a Chinese restaurant on North May Ave., around 27th-30th street, on the west side? It was a storefront type, in a building with other businesses… not the one that was in the old IHOP…
    Golden Pheasant Restaurant at 2911 N. May.

The strip center is still there.

EXCELLENT!!! That’s it! Thanks!!!

Oui Lin's, yes I recall it, the storefront remained until several years ago. I imagine the peanut butter flavor came from adding peanut butter to the egg roll contents. Many years ago there was an Asian restaurant on West Main Street in Norman where I worked, the House of Dragon. North side of Main, currently Brown's Shoe store.
    Mr. Chan (owner) added peanut butter to the cabbage mixture that went into all homemade eggrolls, to improve the consistency. Also served Rye bread and butter along with meals. They opened in the mid- 70s. Trivia, but their head chef was Paul Wong and he moved to Ardmore and successfully operated a Chinese restaurant there for years.

Quote Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
    Oui Lin's, yes I recall it, the storefront remained until several years ago. I imagine the peanut butter flavor came from adding peanut butter to the egg roll contents. Many years ago there was an Asian restaurant on West Main Street in Norman where I worked, the House of Dragon. North side of Main, currently Brown's Shoe store.
    Mr. Chan (owner) added peanut butter to the cabbage mixture that went into all homemade eggrolls, to improve the consistency. Also served Rye bread and butter along with meals. They opened in the mid- 70s. Trivia, but their head chef was Paul Wong and he moved to Ardmore and successfully operated a Chinese restaurant there for years.
    I moved out here in the late 70's and thought one of the oddest things was Chinese restaurants serving rye bread with the meals. Pastrami or corned beef on rye makes sense. With Chinese food, not at all. Rye goes with Central/ Eastern European fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I moved out here in the late 70's and thought one of the oddest things was Chinese restaurants serving rye bread with the meals. Pastrami or corned beef on rye makes sense. With Chinese food, not at all. Rye goes with Central/ Eastern European fare.
    Jersyey Boss, The rye bread was common everywhere back in the 60's, I first had it in Maryland. I remember it in OKC in the 70's to early 80's. It was steamed and covered with a cloth napkin. Don't know the history, but I miss it.
    C. T.

Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western, on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old YMCA.

I remember its quiet, dimly lit atmosphere, breadsticks at the table, checkered tablecloths, and just the best smell you could imagine. They'd bring a little carousel of sauces to your table, and each meal finished off with a small bowl of orange sherbet.

My #1 most missed restaurant, however, has to be Glen's Steakhouse. It was sooo nice - blueberry muffins to each table, and the aroma of steaks just permeated the building with its quiet atmosphere. And they had a huge "SMOR-GAS-BORD" on Sundays with some of the richest, thickest mac-and-cheese you ever tasted. Wow. I remember thinking as a kid that Glens was the kind of place I"d go if I really wanted to impress a date. Sadly, Glen's was gone before I ever got the chance

SoonerDave,
    Wow! Another good memory from the 60's-70's. I'm having trouble picturing the Spaghetti House, building or location. I'm sure it was South of 50th. Wasn't it a standalone building? I enjoyed Glen's when I could afford it. I went there for two school prom dinners with my girlfriend. After I got out of the Navy, my wife and I used to enjoy it. It was in our "rotation" of nicer places to go for dinner. I never made the smorgasbord though. I had always heard it was good.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western, on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old YMCA.

I remember its quiet, dimly lit atmosphere, breadsticks at the table, checkered tablecloths, and just the best smell you could imagine. They'd bring a little carousel of sauces to your table, and each meal finished off with a small bowl of orange sherbet.

My #1 most missed restaurant, however, has to be Glen's Steakhouse. It was sooo nice - blueberry muffins to each table, and the aroma of steaks just permeated the building with its quiet atmosphere. And they had a huge "SMOR-GAS-BORD" on Sundays with some of the richest, thickest mac-and-cheese you ever tasted. Wow. I remember thinking as a kid that Glens was the kind of place I"d go if I really wanted to impress a date. Sadly, Glen's was gone before I ever got the chance

Prunepicker Guest

Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western,
    on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old
    YMCA...
    Was it called Jack's and didn't they serve steaks, too? Was it at the south
    end of the shopping center?

Nevermind, I was thinking of a place in the same area but on S. Penn.

Prunepicker,
    It was on Penn, I missed that on SoonerDave's post. I don't remember "Jack's" but it was The Family Spaghetti House. I don't remember steaks either. I don't believe it could have been on Western. At least not near 50th.
    C. T.
    Was it called Jack's and didn't they serve steaks, too? Was it at the south
    end of the shopping center?

Nevermind, I was thinking of a place in the same area but on S. Penn.

Name:	Family Spaghetti House.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	7082SoonerDave,
    I found this on the DOK archives. I couldn't locate one called "Jack's" as was mentioned by a couple of our members.
    C. T.

Name:	Family Spaghetti House.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	7082SoonerDave,
    I found this on the DOK archives. I couldn't locate one called "Jack's" as was mentioned by a couple of our members.
    C. T.
    Great find, CT! $1.79 AYCE dinner. Wow.

Remember a last trip to Sleepy Hollow, but its been many, many years ago. It was good, but not overwhelming, and nothing that ever compelled us to try going back.

Now one pace that was really good the one time I visited it was the Haunted Mansion (House?) Think it was discussed recently in a different thread. Wife and I went there many moons ago with another couple - back when we were just dating - and it was a really nice place.

SoonerDave,
    The Haunted House is a very nice place. At one time, it was one of the finest in OKC along with Christopher's, Jacques, and Junior's. The last time I was there we did have a problem, but it was partly because my late mother was so slow and the steaks were ready too soon. Instead of starting over, they kept them warm while she finished her salad, and it was obvious. I didn't let one little problem change my attitude, if my wife was still here, I would definitely go there.
    C. T.
    Now one pace that was really good the one time I visited it was the Haunted Mansion (House?) Think it was discussed recently in a different thread. Wife and I went there many moons ago with another couple - back when we were just dating - and it was a really nice place.

Prunepicker Guest

SoonerDave,
    I found this on the DOK archives. I couldn't locate one called "Jack's" as was
    mentioned by a couple of our members.
    C. T.
    I've been thinking about Jack's Steakhouse. Maybe it was really the Family
    Spaghetti House. The name is very familiar and it's located exactly where
    I thought I remembered Jack's to be. The restaurant wasn't in the strip
    that Gerald's Donuts is located, but the next strip north. Just south of the
    YMCA, where you couldn't stay because they didn't have rooms.

I found an obituary of the owner of Jack's Steakhouse
    but the location of the restaurant wasn't mentioned.

This ad is from 12/9/69

Jack's Steak House was between SW 58th & 59th on Penn just South of the strip center in a brick or stone building - West side of Penn....

Thread Information