Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 21 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Prunepicker Guest

Default Old Restaurants

Does anyone remember Hoe Sai Gai on 3900 NW 39th? I know about the
    restaurant on NW 50th and N Shields.

I just don't remember the place on NW 39th, and I'm assuming on the
    Expressway. I definitely remember the place on NW 50th and N Shields.
    Who doesn't, unless they were born after 1960?

As far as I know the one on NW 50th and N Shield is concerned, I was
    always under the impression that it was opened in order to provide for their
    children's college education. Perhaps it's success allowed for another
    restaurant.

Any thoughts? CT? Stan? Anyone older than me?

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Prunepicker,
    I remember Hoe Sai Gai, but I never ate there. Also, where is N. W. 50th and Shields, it doesn't show on google maps. I thought Shields ended near Main in downtown OKC. By the way, your link to Ho Sai Gai went to an ad for their restaurant on 3800 N. W. 63rd.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post

restaurant.

Prunepicker,
    I have eaten there! It wasn't on Shields, it was at 5201 N. Shartel, see below. It had been Jacques (Orenstein) restaurant and I have eaten there as well. I still don't know about any other locations other than the one I mentioned in my first post.
    C. T.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ho Sai Gai - July 21, 1978.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	6995

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    I have eaten there! It wasn't on Shields, it was at 5201 N. Shartel, see below.
    C. T.
    You're exactly right. I was thinking about House of Chan just off of NW
    39th Expressway and a block west of N. Penn.

Prunepicker Guest

Does anyone remember Oui Lin's on N Penn and about NW 12th? There was
    something about having the food served on silver platters. Most Chinese
    restaurants did that in the 50's and 60's.

They also served hot rye bread and butter. Loved it.

Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western, on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old YMCA.

I remember its quiet, dimly lit atmosphere, breadsticks at the table, checkered tablecloths, and just the best smell you could imagine. They'd bring a little carousel of sauces to your table, and each meal finished off with a small bowl of orange sherbet.

My #1 most missed restaurant, however, has to be Glen's Steakhouse. It was sooo nice - blueberry muffins to each table, and the aroma of steaks just permeated the building with its quiet atmosphere. And they had a huge "SMOR-GAS-BORD" on Sundays with some of the richest, thickest mac-and-cheese you ever tasted. Wow. I remember thinking as a kid that Glens was the kind of place I"d go if I really wanted to impress a date. Sadly, Glen's was gone before I ever got the chance

NikZ at the Top (Founders Tower) (Went 3 times. Some of the finest food--and ambiance--ever.)
    Gabriella's (around 50th and Western) (Peter Seay's place. Top notch everything.)
    Boca Boca (in the Collonade--now Sean Cumming's--and moved south on May.)
    Der Dutchman (either of two locations, one on S. 74th St.) (Loved the hush puppies and gumbo.)
    The [BBQ Shack] at I-35 and NE 10th (can't remember the name. I'm gettin' old.)
    Bahama Breeze (good food, good drinks, good live music, good location, no good reason to close).
    Shipman's Café (S. Robinson?) (endless "biscuits" and darn good chicken)

8. Default Re: Old Restaurants

The BBQ place at NE 10th and I-35 was Tom's. No guns allowed.

Also, I liked NikZ, but I liked Eagle's Nest better.

I'll nominate Han's BBQ as a place I miss. And the recently-departed (but still old) Lunch Box, and the not-as-recently departed cafe at the Downtown Airpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

Also, I liked NikZ, but I like Eagle's Nest better.

I'll nominate Han's BBQ as a place I miss. And the recently-departed (but still old) Lunch Box, and the not-as-recently departed cafe at the Downtown Airpark.
    Agree completely. My wife and I went there (Eagle's Nest) on our first anniversary, and the place was really spectacular. Went back a year (maybe two?) later, and it was Nikz. While it was still a nice place, the atmosphere just wasn't even remotely like Eagle's Nest, targeting a different crowd entirely. Just not our cup of tea, and we never went back.

Hans BBQ is a great pick. I remember going up there and just getting a brown sack of BBQ sandwiches, and the smell inside was awesome

...one of my favorite old restaurants was Braum's. Do you remember their commercials?

.. "know what I mean, Vern?" . ( kidding only).

11. Default Re: Old Restaurants

Mine has to be a place that was just west of S. Western on Grand Blvd that was called The Royal Fork.

We would go there almost every Sunday and have lunch with my grandfather.

Never had a chance to experience The Eagle's Nest. If it was better than NikZ I'm extra regretful.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she not only provided me with the name of the BBQ Shack (Tom's BBQ) but also provided three more locations that immediately came to her mind:

Triples (for the Monte Cristo Sandwich) (I never made it to Triples).
    Bennigan's (ditto on the Monte Cristo) (had one here, to me these are far, far too "cloyingly battered/sweet")
    Molly Murphy's ("for a birthday") (Never ate here but did get to see just how greasy and dirty a kitchen could get, just before they closed their doors).

Ditto on Han's BBQ.
    (and I never got to try Nicolosi's, but hear that it was pretty darn good)

Prunepicker,
    My wife and I went to Oui Lin's often (she loved the garlic frittered chicken). Then one day, we were served shrimp fried rice with spoiled shrimp. They were kind, didn't charge us and brought us fresh meals (that we couldn't eat), and we could never go back. If You've ever had spoiled shrimp, you'll understand. Most Chinese restaurants served hot rye bread, it was in a basket covered by a cloth napkin. House of Chan was where my mother and dad took us in the 40's.
    C. T.
    Does anyone remember Oui Lin's on N Penn and about NW 12th? There was
    something about having the food served on silver platters. Most Chinese
    restaurants did that in the 50's and 60's.

They also served hot rye bread and butter. Loved it.

SoonerDave,
    Wow! Another good memory from the 60's-70's. I'm having trouble picturing the Spaghetti House, building or location. I'm sure it was South of 50th. Wasn't it a standalone building? I enjoyed Glen's when I could afford it. I went there for two school prom dinners with my girlfriend. After I got out of the Navy, my wife and I used to enjoy it. It was in our "rotation" of nicer places to go for dinner. I never made the smorgasbord though. I had always heard it was good.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western, on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old YMCA.

I remember its quiet, dimly lit atmosphere, breadsticks at the table, checkered tablecloths, and just the best smell you could imagine. They'd bring a little carousel of sauces to your table, and each meal finished off with a small bowl of orange sherbet.

My #1 most missed restaurant, however, has to be Glen's Steakhouse. It was sooo nice - blueberry muffins to each table, and the aroma of steaks just permeated the building with its quiet atmosphere. And they had a huge "SMOR-GAS-BORD" on Sundays with some of the richest, thickest mac-and-cheese you ever tasted. Wow. I remember thinking as a kid that Glens was the kind of place I"d go if I really wanted to impress a date. Sadly, Glen's was gone before I ever got the chance

RM,
    If fish could fly, you wouldn't need Boca Boca! Fresh fish flown in daily. An excellent place. I don't remember Gabriella's, what was their specialty? The BBQ Shack was Tom's Oaklawn (or commonly, just Tom's). Der Dutchman (previously known as the Zuider Zee) was a good place and I cut my teeth (almost literally) at Shipman's, ate there on Robinson mostly until they built a little nicer place further West on the South side of Reno (I think???). We ate at Bahama Breeze once. Not overly thrilled with it. Not saying it was bad, just not our choice for an upscale dinner.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    NikZ at the Top (Founders Tower) (Went 3 times. Some of the finest food--and ambiance--ever.)
    Gabriella's (around 50th and Western) (Peter Seay's place. Top notch everything.)
    Boca Boca (in the Collonade--now Sean Cumming's--and moved south on May.)
    Der Dutchman (either of two locations, one on S. 74th St.) (Loved the hush puppies and gumbo.)
    The [BBQ Shack] at I-35 and NE 10th (can't remember the name. I'm gettin' old.)
    Bahama Breeze (good food, good drinks, good live music, good location, no good reason to close).
    Shipman's Café (S. Robinson?) (endless "biscuits" and darn good chicken)

Urbanized,
    Never went to NikZ, or the Eagle's Nest, so I have no opinion. Han's was really good, but not the typical hickory smoked barbecue. In my opinion (and a lot of others), Tom's had the best ribs in town. I didn't care much for anything else, not even his beans, average at best. And his sauce was served heated and brought around fresh to each table. You didn't pour cold sauce on a hot mea!
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

Also, I liked NikZ, but I liked Eagle's Nest better.

restaurant.

I can remember several trips to the one on Shartel and 50th as a youngster and it had pretty good décor as well as food if memory serves correct.

OBEA,
    I was born and raised there, I don't remember any restaurant. It couldn't have been on the North side of Grand Blvd. What time frame are you talking about? Help me! It's driving me crazy.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Mine has to be a place that was just west of S. Western on Grand Blvd that was called The Royal Fork.

We would go there almost every Sunday and have lunch with my grandfather.

RM,
    You can't mention Nicolosi's without mentioning the J & R Chicken Ranch! They were about a mile apart and it was always tough to decide on Italian or good chicken. Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't handle the sweetness. I don't eat sweets at all now, but I did then, just never was into sweetening the man dish (entree). By the way, I'm sure you know, they were located where the Metro wine Bar and Bistro is today.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Never had a chance to experience The Eagle's Nest. If it was better than NikZ I'm extra regretful.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she not only provided me with the name of the BBQ Shack (Tom's BBQ) but also provided three more locations that immediately came to her mind:

Triples (for the Monte Cristo Sandwich) (I never made it to Triples).
    Bennigan's (ditto on the Monte Cristo) (had one here, to me these are far, far too "cloyingly battered/sweet")
    Molly Murphy's ("for a birthday") (Never ate here but did get to see just how greasy and dirty a kitchen could get, just before they closed their doors).

Ditto on Han's BBQ.
    (and I never got to try Nicolosi's, but hear that it was pretty darn good)

Achilleslastand,
    After I woke up and realized that I had been there a few times, I also remembered that the food was really good. Probably one of the better Chinese restaurants in town.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    I can remember several trips to the one on Shartel and 50th as a youngster and it had pretty good décor as well as food if memory serves correct.

I do remember House of Chan and Oui Lin's. We ate at both a few times. On 10th, the Chicken Ranch and Nicolosi's were both good. That's my old neck of the woods. On west, near Chisholm was Buttons Cafe. Anyone else remember that one?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    I do remember House of Chan and Oui Lin's. We ate at both a few times.
    They were two of my favorite Chinese restaurants. Both served the entrees
    on silver dishes and provided hot rye bread before the main courses were
    served.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    On 10th, the Chicken Ranch and Nicolosi's were both good. That's my old
    neck of the woods. On west, near Chisholm was Buttons Cafe. Anyone else
    remember that one?
    JR's Chicken Ranch and Nicolosi's were OKC icons. I don't remember
    Buttons. Tell us about it.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    ... Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't
    handle the sweetness.
    C. T.
    The Monte Cristo was good if you expected the sweetness. I liked it.

Triples was on the property that Herman Baggett owned. He owned Herman's
    Seafood and Market. I really, really, really liked that place. The cole slaw
    was off the charts.

Here's a mind blowing experience. Steak and Tails for $4.99. A steak with
    3 lobster tails. Incredible. And all the cole slaw you could eat. I believe
    our waitress was almost always Maggie. I remember her face.

They were two of my favorite Chinese restaurants. Both served the entrees
    on silver dishes and provided hot rye bread before the main courses were
    served.

JR's Chicken Ranch and Nicolosi's were OKC icons. I don't remember
    Buttons. Tell us about it.
    Amen to that.......
    I still remember that Rye bread like it was yesterday.

The Monte Cristo was good if you expected the sweetness. I liked it.

Triples was on the property that Herman Baggett owned. He owned Herman's
    Seafood and Market. I really, really, really liked that place. The cole slaw
    was off the charts.

Here's a mind blowing experience. Steak and Tails for $4.99. A steak with
    3 lobster tails. Incredible. And all the cole slaw you could eat. I believe
    our waitress was almost always Maggie. I remember her face.
    Isnt there a place still in town that still serves the "hermans cole slaw'?

Thread Information