Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Isn't there a car lot in the location where Big L was?

What years are you talking about?

I remember Kennedy's was on the SE corner of NW 39th Expressway
    and N Ann Arbor. I know there were tracks nearby by. Every time I
    drive eastward on NW 36th and pass Meridian I keep expecting to go
    over the tracks.

Where was the Jolly Roger exactly? Was it west of Fred Gang's Meat
    House?

Was it across from Bonaparte's?
    The Jolly Roger was on 23rd, the spur line comment was a reference point where it crossed 23rd east of Ann Arbor. It ran right next to The Jolly Roger on its way up to Big L and other stops on the south side of 39th. It was open until the early to mid 70's, then I think it was Little's after that.

I definitely remember Jolly Roger on 23rd. Yes, right next to the tracks. That reminded me of a place on east of there. Sparky's drive in on Meridian just south of 23rd. There was another on Virginia just south of 10th. (Now we're getting close to Oui Lin's from a different thread!) We use to eat at Jolly Roger once in a while after church on Sundays.
    Last edited by Tritone; 04-17-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    I definitely remember Jolly Roger on 23rd. Yes, right next to the tracks. That reminded me of a place on east of there. Sparky's drive in on Meridian just south of 23rd. There was another on Virginia just south of 10th. (Now we're getting close to Oui Lin's from a different thread!) We use to eat at Jolly Roger once in a while after church on Sundays.
    And then don't forget Sambo's on 23rd just west of Meridian.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    And then don't forget Sambo's on 23rd just west of Meridian.
    Followed by a second one on N Classen, still a restaurant but no longer a Sambo's. My middle son got his start in food service at the NW 23 location as a dishwasher, and moved to the Classen site when it opened. He was still in high school at the time. Later became night crew chief at the NW Hiway Long John Silver's, still in high school, and when he moved to Denver for post-HS training at a trade school, wound up managing two Long John sites there...

Used to be a Lion's Share in Heritage Park Mall that had good burgers. You would pick up the phone at the table and order. Also, my first taste of NY Style pizza (or what I thought was NY Style)was LaPizza in Heritage Park and then open second location out on either 23rd or 10th Street.

I enjoyed the Sambo's in Tulsa in early 80's. Always clean, great staff, decent food. But the most important feature was they kept the coffee cup full, and I didn't have to wash the cup or the pot when I was done. I worked with a pizza outfit, and once we had the doors closed and I had my money count jotted down, off to Sambo's I would go to finish up the nightly reports. After being around pizza for a shift, sometimes two, it was nice to change up the environment for the paperwork portion.

Another old(er) place just came to mind, how about Girlie Pancakes, They're Stacked Better! It was located at May and Grand Blvd on the East side. It's now a Starbuck's and a couple of other businesses that I can't remember at the moment.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Another old(er) place just came to mind, how about Girlie Pancakes, They're Stacked Better! It was located at May and Grand Blvd on the East side. It's now a Starbuck's and a couple of other businesses that I can't remember at the moment.
    C. T.
    Girlie Pancake House was the name, yes, wonderful place, great slogan and sign, open 24 hours, I believe. I think I saw the sun come up from there quite a few mornings after staying out at all-night clubs in Bricktown and on Classen.

Yes! Girlies also (unless I'm slipping...again) on SE 29th west of Air Depot, north side of the road, right at I-40. About Sambo's, didn't the chain morph into something else, kind of like Hardee's into Carl's?

C. T.
    It was still open when I worked at Sound Warehouse in the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    Yes! Girlies also (unless I'm slipping...again) on SE 29th west of Air Depot, north side of the road, right at I-40. About Sambo's, didn't the chain morph into something else, kind of like Hardee's into Carl's?
    It changed names because of perceived racial connotations. We ate there quite a bit when I was little, especially after bowling league nights at Windsor Lanes.
    Wiki - Sambo's Restaurants

One place that I liked that is still open but not the same was the Lake Hefner Golf Course restaurant, when they did the remodel the burgers were just not the same as the ones done on the old flat top griddle.

This isn't a Sambo's in Oklahoma City, but they all looked pretty much the same. The one on 23rd looked just like this - all the way down to the Sambo's on the stone wall.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It (Girlie Pancake House) was still open when I worked at Sound Warehouse
    in the early 80's.

It (Sambo's) changed names because of perceived racial connotations.
    We ate there quite a bit when I was little, especially after bowling league
    nights at Windsor Lanes.
    Wiki - Sambo's Restaurants
    The Girlie Pancake House was in Tulsa a couple of decades before opening
    in OKC.

I thought it was named after a children's book.

What was originally in the old Jeff's Country Café building that Walgreens tore down just west of 23 and Classen on south side of NW 23rd. Alco, what was originally in the Mutt's building? They both look like they started originally as restaurants. I know the Mexican restaurant on the north side of 23rd at Douglas used to be Capt D's and the Indian restaurant on the south side of 23rd just west of the Arby's at 23 and Douglas was originally a steakhouse like Sirloin Stockade with the big steer out front. You entered on the east side and went down the wall until you got to the register much like Western Sizzler/Mackie McNears

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    What was originally in the old Jeff's Country Café building that Walgreens tore down just west of 23 and Classen on south side of NW 23rd. Alco, what was originally in the Mutt's building? They both look like they started originally as restaurants. I know the Mexican restaurant on the north side of 23rd at Douglas used to be Capt D's and the Indian restaurant on the south side of 23rd just west of the Arby's at 23 and Douglas was originally a steakhouse like Sirloin Stockade with the big steer out front. You entered on the east side and went down the wall until you got to the register much like Western Sizzler/Mackie McNears
    The old Jeff's location was one of the first Beverly's that opened outside of downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Used to be a Lion's Share in Heritage Park Mall that had good burgers. You would pick up the phone at the table and order. Also, my first taste of NY Style pizza (or what I thought was NY Style)was LaPizza in Heritage Park and then open second location out on either 23rd or 10th Street.
    La Pizza actually started out in Nicoma Park, on NE 23rd, in an old house that was previously converted into a nice little restaurant called "The Front Porch." The house was torn down many, many years ago. I, too, had my first taste of NY Style Pizza there and that style has remained my favorite type of pizza to this very day. Further east, out in Harrah, there was another converted house establishment called "Maggie's Kitchen" that had some of the best breakfasts and plate lunches ever. The place was so ramshackle that I always wondered if it was going to fall down around the lunch crowd. And there was always a big crowd at lunch.

What was the name of the burger place on the Northwest corner of N. W. 23rd and Western?
    C. T.

What was the name of the burger place on the Northwest corner of N. W. 23rd and Western?
    C. T.
    In the late 40s it was Carnation's, an ice cream parlor that had great sandwiches. It was one of my two favorite lunch locations when I was in high school (the other was the Veazey Drug at NW 18 and Classen on the NE corner).

Jim,
    This was in the 60's-70's and it had an English theme, maybe "Beefeaters"? I don't remember Carnation's.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    In the late 40s it was Carnation's, an ice cream parlor that had great sandwiches. It was one of my two favorite lunch locations when I was in high school (the other was the Veazey Drug at NW 18 and Classen on the NE corner).

Beef 'n Bun, at some point.

Boscorama,
    That's it, thanks.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    And on the east side of N. Western and about 100 feet north was Nick's
    Delicatessen. It was da bomb!

Prunepicker,
    I had my first muffuletta there before Schlotzsky's came to OKC. It was a really good place for sandwiches.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    And on the east side of N. Western and about 100 feet north was Nick's
    Delicatessen. It was da bomb!

23. Default Re: Old Restaurants

The place was admittedly strange, but I miss Allen's at NW 6th and Hudson.

Prunepicker,
    I had my first muffuletta there before Schlotzsky's came to OKC. It was a really good place for sandwiches.
    C. T.
    Muffulettas are the Rulers of The Kingdom of Sandwiches.
    Schlotzsky's approached the throne . . . but ran just behind St. Reuben
    In terms of Excellence in Sandwichmaking. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The place was admittedly strange, but I miss Allen's at NW 6th and Hudson.
    I miss Allen's and the Lunch Box with their homemade rolls and meatloaf Friday. Also miss Thai Kitchen the way it was originally before the owner died and you would go through the line and get either 1,2 or 3 item versus a buffet now where the pans are always empty. At least we still have Coney Island.

Thread Information