Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Via Paseo

Default Re: NW 28th & Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It is cheap stucco and is already problematic. If you want stucco it should be done right. It may be the best fake stucco, but it is still fake stucco. We still have a ways to go here in OKC until we recognize what is good construction and what is not.
    Also what holds up well in the environment. White stucco is going to be a problem in Oklahoma to begin with because of the weather and the red dirt. The existing stock in the Paseo is perfect - both in color and construction quality. It's easily my favorite district in OKC.

2. Default Re: NW 28th & Walker

It is cheap stucco and is already problematic. If you want stucco it should be done right. It may be the best fake stucco, but it is still fake stucco. We still have a ways to go here in OKC until we recognize what is good construction and what is not.
    I wasn't defending it as high-quality; merely pointing out that it wasn't the extruded foam board type after someone suggested it was.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    LEVEL used one of the best synthetic stuccos.
    Yes, and even the best fake stuccos already has problems and will have going forward.

Interesting about comment about "what is good construction and what is not".

I agree with you in the commercial construction, but I believe that residential single family home builders in Okc are some of the best in the region.
    A residential home in Okc is built with more quality than I see anywhere that I travel to outside the state. I also hear this from people that are moving into Okc, about how the home quality is some of the best that they have ever seen.

Guess no one's going to build more housing near Paseo. Shame. That's what is needed the most right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I wasn't defending it as high-quality; merely pointing out that it wasn't the extruded foam board type after someone suggested it was.
    My bad.

We should have better, color renderings in a week or two. They are still working on them.

Also, I confirmed that the area labeled "bar" facing the patio with have overhead doors and be part of the restaurant concept. It will be an ABC2 type of permit, meaning most the sales will come from food but there will be a decent-sized full bar that spills out into the patio area facing Paseo.

I think this project looks pretty slick and from the sample materials shown in the design packet, it appears to be of high-quality.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Guess no one's going to build more housing near Paseo. Shame. That's what is needed the most right now.
    NW 24th will probably see multi family housing.

New renderings go into more detail. I think this will turn out pretty nice.

http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/view.as...fileid=2458611

This project was presented to the Urban Design Commission yesterday but was continued.

Joy Reed Belt spoke at the meeting and expressed concern over some design elements. She owns and operates Sauced and the art gallery right across the street and said she "didn't want to have to look out on steel mesh" and other elements she found displeasing.

The commission had some concerns of their own and proposed several minor changes and asked for more detailed plans.

The nature of these meetings is that the deadline to subject for the next month is usually less than a week after the previous meeting. So in this case, they may be able to resubmit by the next Tuesday deadline for the October meeting, otherwise this will have to wait until November.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This project was presented to the Urban Design Commission yesterday but was continued.

Joy Reed Belt spoke at the meeting and expressed concern over some design elements. She owns and operates Sauced and the art gallery right across the street and said she "didn't want to have to look out on steel mesh" and other elements she found displeasing.

The commission had some concerns of their own and proposed several minor changes and asked for more detailed plans.

The nature of these meetings is that the deadline to subject for the next month is usually less than a week after the previous meeting. So in this case, they may be able to resubmit by the next Tuesday deadline for the October meeting, otherwise this will have to wait until November.
    Typically, if a case is continued, they are allowed to submit revisions up until a few days before publishing deadline, if they are continuing the same practice from when I worked for OKC>

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Typically, if a case is continued, they are allowed to submit revisions up until a few days before publishing deadline, if they are continuing the same practice from when I worked for OKC>
    The planner at the meeting said they had been allowed to do this for the more recent meeting but specifically said the staff needed more time this time around, and if they can't make Tuesday's deadline they would have to wait until November.

The representative for the project also said that time was of the essence and that they hope to meet the next deadline.

13. Default Re: NW 28th & Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I understand Joy's concerns, but doesn't it seem she is being just a little hypocritical? After all, Sauced isn't very pleasing to look at either.

Don't really bother me, just thought it was worth noting.

Some interesting details: Planned update, new location painted for Picasso Cafe | okgazette.com

An unnamed restaurant concept from the Picasso Cafe people will anchor the first floor, and 3,000 square feet of shared office space will be above.

Default Re: Via Paseo

Going back to the urban design committee next week seeking final approval.

More new renderings in the article at the top of the page:

Looks like a very nice funeral home.

I kid (kinda).

HangryHippo Guest

The new renderings look like they were done in MS Paint. I don't know what to think because I can't tell what is going on with the materials. Is it supposed to look like Cafe do Brasil in Midtown? Or more Spanish like what's in the Paseo already?

So is Picasso's moving or will this be a new concept by the same owners?

I think its a mistake if Picasso's is moving. Part of its appeal is the current location and its charm. If they move to a larger location they risk losing that.

New concept; Picasso's not moving.

20. Default Re: Via Paseo

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    The new renderings look like they were done in MS Paint. I don't know what to think because I can't tell what is going on with the materials. Is it supposed to look like Cafe do Brasil in Midtown? Or more Spanish like what's in the Paseo already?
    Sketchup with artsy line style.

Here is a link to the submittal: http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2...4103140862.PDF

This is somewhat better than the original elevations indicated. The massing is a little weird with the two large "blocks" sitting on the building's "shoulders", but I'm ok with it. I pulled up the agenda packet and it appears that the building will be 100% stucco with some tile accents. The stone is gone. The architectural success of this project hinges on the materials. I would prefer real stucco with appropriate detailing (similar to the rest of the Paseo). If it is EIFS masquerading as traditional stucco, then I'll be disappointed.

I'm still somewhat uncomfortable with the amount of parking, but it can always be built on top of in the future.

Overall this is a great project and will be an asset to the neighborhood.

Yeah 100% stucco is a must. If it's EIFS in a few years this will look terrible compared to the rest of the building stock. If done right though it will fit in well.

I am not huge on the parking as well but the good thing is its location can easily be built on down the road.

HangryHippo Guest

Thanks for the link to the submission, cuatro. I like it a little better after having seen some of those images, but I'm in full agreement with you regarding the success of this development hinging on the materials used.

Also, I'm not sure I love how the patio is situated. Overall though, pretty decent project. Hope it turns out well.

23. Default Re: Via Paseo

Someone once showed how to post agenda links so that they don't expire but I can't remember now

If you open the pdf and save the url from there, that is a cached link which will expire.

Your best bet is to back up to the full list of pdf docs, right click the one you want to get the link for and select copy link address:

Then paste:

http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/view.as...fileid=2555606

If the link has 'cache' in the url, it will expire.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Yeah 100% stucco is a must. If it's EIFS in a few years this will look terrible compared to the rest of the building stock. If done right though it will fit in well.

I am not huge on the parking as well but the good thing is its location can easily be built on down the road.
    I spoke with the designer and he assured that it will be "real" stucco.

Thread Information