Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: OU football 2014

Default Re: OU football 2014

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    There was nothing sexual about this...

Just drunk kids in a sandwich shop after the bars closed.
    Yeah. I was referencing Frank Shannon's case, but maybe that's off topic.

Regarding the Mixon case it does appear the alleged victim is speaking to Norman Police today per Ryan Aber.

Blog Entries

OU Re: OU football 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Let's hope this Sports Illustrated Jinx doesn't haunt the Sooners; especially#9 Trevor Knight.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You realize she has outstanding warrants and has violated her prior plea agreements, correct?
    Yep, known that since day one.

Misdemeanor for Mixon. 1 or 2 game suspension, and then he should be good to go.

And I guess its as good of a time as any to offer up a solid brag. This is my daughter on the front page of the paper, throwing up the #1 with Trevor Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    [B]What if Mixon made a gay slur about the guy she was with, then she approached Mixon, called him the 'N' word and then she threw a punch[/B]. Then Mixon punches her back and leaves.
    Looks like this 'what if' was fairly close to what transpired.....

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    Misdemeanor for Mixon. 1 or 2 game suspension, and then he should be good to go.
    We'll see, but I think it'll be 4 games to an entire season. It doesn't simply matter what the charges are. There's still a video that's going to come out of Mixon knocking a woman out cold. Terrible situation.

8. Default Re: OU football 2014

My vote is to Redshirt him

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    My vote is to Redshirt him
    I could see him transferring if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    That's a choice that could be an option for him if OU decides to sit him or drop him either one. Probably more than one institution out there which will say come on down if the opportunity should arise.

11. Default Re: OU football 2014

Then So be it. He was coerced into what he did which is why i don't favor dismissal. But he had other, less punative actions he could have chosen.

Red shirting can not be imposed, it must be done with the permission of the athlete.

6 games would be about right. Dusty got a whole season but that was after more than one incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Red shirting can not be imposed, it must be done with the permission of the athlete.
    Are you sure? If a coach doesn't play a player then they've pretty much redshirted. I've never heard of a student-athlete rejecting a redshirt. Maybe it's just done behind closed doors, but I would think there would have been some case where a student would have mentioned that they rejected a redshirt.

15. Default Re: OU football 2014

Heck, redshirt used to be a REQUIREMENT for EVERY player. Freshmen never saw the field, ever. These days you might have to worry about a player leaving if he didn't get played as a freshman, but no way can he MAKE the coach play him. Now, burning a redshirt late in the season, a la Quentin Griffin? That is something a coach generally needs to check out with a player, though I doubt there is a rule forcing him to do so.

Are you sure? If a coach doesn't play a player then they've pretty much redshirted. I've never heard of a student-athlete rejecting a redshirt. Maybe it's just done behind closed doors, but I would think there would have been some case where a student would have mentioned that they rejected a redshirt.
    My former boss's son broke his wrist prior to his freshman season at Kansas State but during summer workouts. He took a grey or gray shirt. Not sure the advantage of that but that's what happened. I had never heard of a grey shirt before.

17. Default Re: OU football 2014

Maybe the same as a medical redshirt?

I have heard it in the past, but bottom line there would be no reason to reject an additional year of school if you did not play your first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    Has he been suited up for a single practice since that night? Seems like saying he should be good to go by mid-september may presume a tad much, even if his present bar to participate doesn't continue for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Has he been suited up for a single practice since that night? Seems like saying he should be good to go by mid-september may presume a tad much, even if his present bar to participate doesn't continue for much longer.
    He has not. By saying that "he should be good to go" would mean, that he is cleared to participate. I personally feel like a 4-5 game suspension is warranted. At that time, he will have been participating in team activities/practices for about 4-6 weeks. As far as "being ready" Mixon is another one of those "once every decade" talents, and much like Adrian Peterson.....is already talented enough from a physical aspect to not only "contribute" but be a difference maker, the very second he touches the field.

But the chance of him "redshirting" this entire season, much like Ryan Broyles did his freshman year (After illegally using gas cards) seems like a strong possibility.

redshirting him doesn't seem a horrid idea, though I imagine some folks would be birthing kittens right and left over the notion.

Well, there you go..."Suspended" for the entire 2014 season. Lets hope he sticks around, and has the chance to show everyone that this mistake was an isolated incident, and that he can get an education, contribute to the student body as well as the football team.

Joe Mixon has been suspended from the OU team for the entire season and cannot even participate in team activities. Extremely strong statement about OU's stance concerning violence against women by OU as similar infractions at other schools have resulted in zero to two game suspensions. I am sure Mixon will transfer soon.

Blog Entries

Joe Mixon has been suspended from the OU team for the entire season and cannot even participate in team activities. Extremely strong statement about OU's stance concerning violence against women by OU as similar infractions at other schools have resulted in zero to two game suspensions. I am sure Mixon will transfer soon.
    What, is this official? If so, what a blow!

Just got a tweet from KOCO

Thread Information