Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rose State College or Oklahoma City Community College

1. Default Re: Rose State College or Oklahoma City Community College

Each have their strong points and weak points.

I can only offer some feedback I've had from OU staff on subject matter I'm close to through familial links.

OCCC credits often have a hard time transferring because the state universities are finding that the quality of the education in some subjects is extremely lacking. Specifically, foreign language.

RSC doesn't have that problem on the whole, but knowing some of the staff and their teaching style, it would be surprising to me if the same was not true soon in the same department.

I believe TCC is actually the largest in the state, but RSC and OCCC both have some strong programs. Just like when choosing a university, the first task is to find what your major will be and pursue the option with the program that best fits YOU.

I have taken a few side courses in some programming languages at both institutions. RSC gave me more real-life applicable knowledge than my courses at OCU (but that's typical....theory vs practical.....university vs technical), but it was a summer course so it was quite condensed. The time I spent at OCCC was more professional training from campus staff rather than faculty. It was a very good experience and we came away with a good understanding of what we needed to get us started in the task we were pursuing.

Default Re: Rose State College or Oklahoma City Community College

Let me also throw this out there since OCU was mentioned. Unless you have significant HUGE scholarship money, do not go to MACU, OCU, Oklahoma Christian, Oklahoma Baptist or any private/for-profit college. They might give you a perfectly fine education, but you are paying 2-4 times what you could be paying at OU/OSU/UCO.

3. Default Re: Rose State College or Oklahoma City Community College

Very true. I was able to attend OCU, but I had 3/4 of my tuition paid for with academic and performance scholarships. Without that, it wouldn't have been practical. What's funny is, even with that scholarship funding, I still spent almost as much as I would have if I had gone to OU without any scholarships. But OCU was a great fit for me and I feel very lucky to be an alumni of such a great institution.

Thread Information