Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Still think their new stadium will be near the Downtown Airpark, although I don't think any details on that will be coming out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    That was a speculative tweet I saw as well. I don't think that's the announcement.
    I was wrong.

Call me a little confused. What does this officially mean for the NASL team?

NASL team is dead

Not gonna lie, kind of what I wanted to happen all along. I don't think OKC is big enough right now to support two semi-pro soccer teams but with the possibility of a stadium on the river and a 10,000-20,000 seating capacity could do quite well.

Basically bob funk jr will bring in d-league team to play at McGuinness

Chances their stadium could be a part of MAPS 4 if we have to wait that long?

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    Basically bob funk jr will bring in d-league team to play at McGuinness

Just to be clear you mean like a d-league in basketball or a triple A team in baseball, not a d-league in baseball, like the Oklahoma state league was from 1912-1924

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Chances their stadium could be a part of MAPS 4 if we have to wait that long?
    I believe they'll be looking at private funding, maybe supported by TIF(?) before then.

10. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

NASL team is dead
    Well, it's not officially dead yet. Oklahoma City FC is still going to be playing this year, they are just going to be in the NPSL league. They are still trying to get into NASL next year, but with McLaughlin moving over to the Energy that might have been the blow OKC FC needed to not join the NASL.

Was McLaughlin the major money behind the NASL bid?
    Can the OKC FC ownership group pay the franchise fees & player salaries without McLaughlin's backing?

Energy FC
    OKC Energy FC announced today that respected local businessman Tim McLaughlin has joined the management team as an equal partner with Bob Funk Jr.

The partnership represents a major step towards uniting the Oklahoma City soccer community and strengthens Prodigal’s commitment to bring top level professional soccer to Oklahoma City including a potential Major League Soccer team in the years ahead.

“We’re pleased to have Tim join OKC Energy FC as an equal partner,” said Prodigal owner Bob Funk Jr. “His passion for the continued success of Oklahoma City and its citizens is unmatched. By uniting our efforts, it brings us another step closer to our shared vision of bringing a Major League Soccer (MLS) team to Oklahoma City in the future.”

McLaughlin’s dedication to Oklahoma City, particularly the students of the Oklahoma City Public Schools, is underscored through the success of the Fields & Futures program founded by him and his wife Liz in early 2012. The program provides much needed funds to build and maintain athletic fields throughout the Oklahoma City Public Schools district. The program contributes to the positive development and retention of coaches as well as inspires student-athletes. Overhauling 44 athletic fields within the Oklahoma City Public Schools district and establishing an endowment for upkeep is the long term goal of the organization.

“I’m looking forward with great enthusiasm to working with Bob Funk Jr. and OKC Energy FC to unite the soccer community in Oklahoma City,” said McLaughlin. “The professionalism of Bob Jr. and his staff along with the strength of the league and their partnership with MLS and Sporting KC attracted me to partner with them. I am excited about what we can do together for soccer and Oklahoma City.”

Beginning in early April 2014, OKC Energy FC begins practicing on the campus of Oklahoma City University. OKC Energy FC will compete during the 2014 season at Pribil Stadium on the campus of Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School. The following Spring, OKC Energy FC will begin play at the re-modeled and historic Taft Stadium, currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation. As part of the lease with Taft Stadium, $2 of every soccer ticket sold will benefit Fields & Futures.

“We greatly appreciate the very generous donation from Tim McLaughlin as part of the Fields & Futures program for rebuilding the vintage Taft Stadium into a modern facility for Oklahoma City Public Schools events and pro soccer,” said interim OKC Public Schools Superintendent Dave Lopez. “The joint efforts of Bob Funk Jr. and Mr. McLaughlin to bring professional soccer to our community also deserves applause."

“Soccer’s popularity continues to soar, not only nationally but also in our community,” said Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett. “This is a great time to bring professional soccer to Oklahoma City and lay the foundation for a possible Major League Soccer team in a few years. Oklahoma City has always been at its best with people pulling on the same rope. We appreciate the shared vision of Bob Jr. and Tim to introduce professional soccer to our community and commend them for working together to make it happen.”

OKC Energy FC’s move to Taft allows for Prodigal to operate a franchise in USL’s Premier Development League (PDL). The PDL is the top amateur league in the United States and a professional development league for the United Soccer League. The league consists of 64 teams, playing in four conferences and nine regional divisions. The PDL season runs from May through July. The yet-to-be-named team will play its home games at Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School.

“Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School has developed a close relationship with OKC Energy FC,” said Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School athletic director Gary Savely. “We will continue to support the team and work together in whatever role that meets the needs of the team and the community.”

OKC Energy FC opens its home slate of game April 26 at Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School. Season tickets are available by calling (405) 235-KICK or visiting EnergyFC.com.

Originally they started a USDL team in OKC back in 2012 and McLauglin group wanted to join USLPro team which Energy is under but couldn't because Funk JR got it before they did so they went after NASL which they got.So i think Energy will still be under USL Pro until we get move up to MLS

Also i can confirmed that Supporting KC Soccer team games will be shown live on the Cox Channel 3 and 703

^ This should put the NASL franchise on life support, and although I was an early supporter -- good riddance. We need to support one team if we're going to have any shot at a future MLS franchise. I'm all in with Energy FC.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    ^ This should put the NASL franchise on life support, and although I was an early supporter -- good riddance. We need to support one team if we're going to have any shot at a future MLS franchise. I'm all in with Energy FC.
    It does not look good for NASL now they don't even have a Stadium to play next year.

Also i can confirmed that Supporting KC Soccer team games will be shown live on the Cox Channel 3 and 703
    Starting when?

This saturday. I just looked on the guide and it shows up on channel 703 at 5pm.

I admit I don't know much about McLaughlin.
    What does he do? How did he make his money? What's he worth?

I'm curious what his stack of money next to Funk's stack of money means for the new combined ownership group. Together do they now have a realistic shot at making this work and lasting into the future? Do they have enough money to acquire riverfront land and build a new stadium down the road?

Slightly unrelated to the current conversation but a bunch of Grid members are meeting Thursday night at 51st Speakeasy for some beers before Saturday's match.

We'll Likely be there around 730p. Open invite for everyone to come out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

21. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

I think it's fine that the Grid meets at Speakeasy, but I never understood why they didn't pick the only real soccer pub in OKC to meet at. -> Skinny Slim's

22. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

whats lost in all of this is when they move to Taft there will be a lack of pre and post game social opportunities compared to speakeasy and the proximity to the western corridor

Breaking news:Saturday Friendly Match has been Moved to Yukon High School Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    whats lost in all of this is when they move to Taft there will be a lack of pre and post game social opportunities compared to speakeasy and the proximity to the western corridor
    On the other hand, Taft will most likely allow beer sales in the stadium during the matches plus tailgating with beers in the surrounding lots. Both of which are banned at Pribil Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I think it's fine that the Grid meets at Speakeasy, but I never understood why they didn't pick the only real soccer pub in OKC to meet at. -> Skinny Slim's
    Sean Cummings just put you on his ignore list

Thread Information