Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snug Harbor at Lake Overholser

Default Snug Harbor at Lake Overholser

I moved from Oklahoma City in 1968 and was just wondering if the old Snug Harbor Club which was on Old Route 66 on the north side of Lake Overholser is still there.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Snug Harbor at Lake Overholser

No, it isn't. In fact there isn't a bar on 66 between N. Portland and about
    1/2 way to El Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    1/2 way to El Reno.
    There is the Route 66 Pub on the corner of 39th (RT66) and St Charles just east of the bank.

This sat on the NE corner of the lake on 66 right?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    There is the Route 66 Pub on the corner of 39th (RT66) and St Charles just
    east of the bank.
    Is it on 66 or is it on St. Charles, about 1/2 block off of 66? I don't
    remember seeing it and I drive through that area almost daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    This sat on the NE corner of the lake on 66 right?
    If I remember correctly, it was east of the bridge and north of Old Highway 66 and set back off the roadway about 80 feet or so.

My Dad owned a Sheet Metal and Roofing Company and two brothers that worked for him for years more or less made Snug Harbor their second home. After work hours if he needed them, that is where he called.

Thinking of them brought to mind, they drank Stag Beer, something I have not heard of in years. I know Progress Beer was a local brewed beer which if I remember correctly was later taken over by Lone Star Beer. There have been many beer brands disappear over the years. Jax, Falstaff, Stag, and Busch Bavarian come to mind.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DallasCop2566 View Post
    Thinking of them brought to mind, they drank Stag Beer, something I have not
    heard of in years. I know Progress Beer was a local brewed beer which if I
    remember correctly was later taken over by Lone Star Beer. There have been
    many beer brands disappear over the years. Jax, Falstaff, Stag, and Busch
    Bavarian come to mind.
    Wow! I remember the Jax Beer commercials when I was a kid. They
    were funny. Maybe the predecessors of the Lockhorns. Was it Chris
    Schenkel who promoted "beer in glass" during the Saturday afternoon
    Baseball game of the week? I remember that Falstaff had a mini keg you
    could put in your fridge. I had an uncle and aunt who drank Busch. I
    thought it was owned by Bud. Stag beer? Wasn't Mr. Magoo on their
    commercials?

Prunepicker Guest

I doubt that this was ever aired. Too funny around :40.

I think that bar was last known as Mary's, sometime about the late seventies or early eighties. They had a bunch of taxidermy of frogs playing musical instruments around the place. It may have burned down or just closed and was torn down around that time. That was east of the bridge on the south side of the road. East of the bridge on the north side is the old drive-in theater property.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    1/2 way to El Reno.

Grady's 66 Pub 444 W Main St, Yukon

Route 66 Pub 5800 1/2 NW 39th St, Warr Acres

11. Default Re: Snug Harbor at Lake Overholser

I think the building is still there. Hard to see because of the weeds and growth around it, but I saw it a few weeks ago on a motorcycle ride.

12. Default Re: Snug Harbor at Lake Overholser

I think it is right about here.

I was recalling it as being west of the bridge, on what is now Overholser Drive, very close to the lake itself and on the north side of the road. However, since the only times I was there were for a few pre-legal drinking bouts while in college, my memories of the place are very very fuzzy... As I recall, it was one of the few places that stayed open after the 2 a.m. closing times back in prohibition days...

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think it is right about here.
    The little bar/dive I was thinking of was about 100 yards SE of where Overholser Dr and Eagle Ln intersect. This was in the 70s and it has been long gone for sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    The little bar/dive I was thinking of was about 100 yards SE of where Overholser Dr and Eagle Ln intersect. This was in the 70s and it has been long gone for sometime.
    That's the location I'm talking about that I thought was last Mary's. I was in there once or twice thirty something years ago. My understanding from friends who lived in that neighborhood long before I was that little plot of land surrounded by Overholser, Eagle Lane, and the drainage area to the south was not in either OKC or Bethany City limits back then. I remember fireworks being sold off the same property until sometime in the late seventies or early eighties. The bar closed, and I think they had an auction or yard sale of the items in the bar (a friend went IIRC.) Then it was either torn down or burned down, the lot scrapped and real estate signs went up, which have been changed many times but never really gone away.

There's two more bars I noticed this evening on old 66 in the area that PP thinks doesn't have bars. What used to be the Palomino when I last frequented it is now the Hideaway Lounge and down the way is the Route 66 Roadhouse, both around Meridian.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    That's the location I'm talking about that I thought was last Mary's. I was in there once or twice thirty something years ago. My understanding from friends who lived in that neighborhood long before I was that little plot of land surrounded by Overholser, Eagle Lane, and the drainage area to the south was not in either OKC or Bethany City limits back then. I remember fireworks being sold off the same property until sometime in the late seventies or early eighties. The bar closed, and I think they had an auction or yard sale of the items in the bar (a friend went IIRC.) Then it was either torn down or burned down, the lot scrapped and real estate signs went up, which have been changed many times but never really gone away.
    Yes, fireworks! I remember that. I remember riding my bike out there. I'd go west on 63rd, Rockwell, 50th, south on Council to 39th and then west to the fireworks stand. I loved biking past the Aero Commander factory. Anyone take a tour of the factory? Worth a post, I think.

There are 2 pubs on Rt 66/Main Street in Yukon, between 4th and 5th Streets. One on the north side, and one on the south side. Been there for years.

There was a bar call Pauline's at the SE corner of 39th and Overholser Drive. Just west of where the firework stands were.... east of the old truss bridge. Pretty much straight across 39th from the where the old drive in theater was.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    There was a bar call Pauline's at the SE corner of 39th and Overholser Drive. Just west of where the firework stands were.... east of the old truss bridge. Pretty much straight across 39th from the where the old drive in theater was.
    That's the place I'm talking about and Pauline's sounds right instead of Mary's.

Auction and history story...dateline 1984.

Sentiments Run High At Pauline's Auction | News OK

Here's a slightly earlier story with more history. Looks like Pauline bought it about 1971. Could it have been Snug Harbor before then?

http://newsok.com/paulines-offers-an...rticle/2044046

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Auction and history story...dateline 1984.

Sentiments Run High At Pauline's Auction | News OK

Here's a slightly earlier story with more history. Looks like Pauline bought it about 1971. Could it have been Snug Harbor before then?

Pauline's: offers "an experience' | News OK

I thought Snug Harbor was further south, by the lake patrol station, where the bait shop used to be. I thought there was a little bar there at one time, but I could be wrong.

The boathouse by the lake patrol, was formerly a bait shop. They did have a lunch counter/bar, with stools, a grill and served beer. I don't remember any other down the lake road.

24. Default Re: Snug Harbor at Lake Overholser

The place being described in those stories is at roughly the same location I posted a Google Maps link to, which is 39th and Overholser Drive. There are a couple of old rundown buildings in the weeds there, though I'm not sure if they are the buildings in question.

I am pretty sure I remember Mary's, but what I am recalling was on the SOUTH side of the lake along 10th, and I THINK it might have been in operation into the nineties.

The place I was calling Mary's was Pauline's and yes, was on the south side of the street, along with the fireworks stands. The north side of the street just about exactly where you have marked is the old entrance to the drive-in movie theater. I don't remember it ever being open but there was a sign there for years and probably still the old sign posts in the weeds. The old building still standing there off the road was the projection and snack bar building. Sometime around the early '80s, the people who owned that drive-in property made a golf driving range out of it by installing all the tall wooden poles that are still there around the perimeter, and hung nets off them. They used the old projection building as the office. It lasted about one summer before they went broke and let it all go.

Thread Information