Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunbeam Old Campus

Uptown/23rd Sunbeam Old Campus

As Sunbeam Family Services readies their new headquarters on 12th & Classen, Marva Ellard is leading a group to renovate their existing campus in Mesta Park into housing and other uses.

The City is considering granting them $400,000 to renovate the main building into 13 affordable rental units.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunbeam1.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	8161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunbeam2.JPG 
Views:	3186 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	6583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunbeam3.JPG 
Views:	3199 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	6584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunbeamcottages.jpg 
Views:	2138 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	6585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunbeam4.jpg 
Views:	2172 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	6586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subbeamproposed.jpg 
Views:	1843 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	6842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunbeam7.jpg 
Views:	1286 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	8158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunbeam6.jpg 
Views:	1267 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	8159  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunbeam5.jpg 
Views:	1280 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	8160  

Default Re: Sunbeam Family Services

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Hearing that Marva Ellard is involved in a proposal to rehab Sunbeam's old location in Mesta Park.

Presumably into housing, but idk.
    I'll see what I can find out.

That's a great property, with an interesting brick building and a modern separate structure. Over an acre right in the middle of Mesta Park.

Default Re: Sunbeam Old Campus

So has anyone heard a date (Today or next Thursday) for this meeting? I live in Mesta Park and have not heard anything.

Quote Originally Posted by musg8411 View Post
    So has anyone heard a date (Today or next Thursday) for this meeting? I live in Mesta Park and have not heard anything.
    The meeting is tonight at 6:30 at the Sieber. Sunbeam discussion is first then the folks from Guyutes on 23rd will present something.

Perfect Thanks.

Original building to be converted to senior housing.

"Arc" will stay offices or be converted to housing.

3 6-bedroom cottages to be single-family.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Original building to be converted to senior housing.

"Arc" will stay offices or be converted to housing.
    That would awesome fi turned into housing!

Office is obviously more feasible for the ark's design and floorplates, but the location is better for housing than office.

I know, but if you could turn that into housing, you'd one the most dope houses around

I don't thinks eh type of housing Marva is envisioning here is quite of that scale and grandeur so I assumed she was talking about subdividing.

Here is the general concept of what they hope to do at this location:

Sad to report that the Mesta NIMBY's are rising up against this one too. Seriously if you want to support this please consider attending the BOA hearing on Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 1:30 PM at the City Council Chambers on the 3rd Floor of the Municipal Building located at 200 N. Walker Avenue, Oklahoma City.

I will be out of town.

I had mixed emotions about the Guyutes uproar by Mesta residents (which I can explain in more detail in the Guyutes thread) but standing up against multi-family here just pisses me off.

Alright, this is getting ridiculous. They have a Westboro Baptist Church vibe to them.

You gotta be kidding.

My wife and I are looking to buy in that area in the next couple of years. I really want to be a vocal proponentfor development in this area. With all the development going on around them, as long as they are keeping their house up to snuff, their home value should increase by at least 5%, if not more, due to more activity happening in the area. This is getting ricockulous.

I don't know if it will make a difference or not, but I would recommend that any of you in or around mesta park get on the Next Door website and support the development. More positive comments about these developments couldn't hurt. If the opposition realizes that most of their own neighbors are not behind them, maybe some of this ridiculousness will die down.

Who are these people?

The exclusionary zoning that they want to wipe out areas around them and reduce their congestion will also force them to move north of Memorial Road in ten years and should have left HH/MP like the warzone it was before urban pioneers moved in. The inner city is not the places for NIMBYs. It's the place for looking forward to what COULD go in your backyard rather than making sure nothing does.

It's important to make sure you trust that the people moving in will care for their property. Someone like Marva obviously cares, as does someone with the foresight to propose Daeback, Guyutes, and The Edge. These are impressive investments that the city will rightfully approve. But word of caution to the HH/MP elitists: Your game is played, everyone knows what you're up to, the value of your stance is eroding bc of these antics, and in the end when all you do is oppose plans from someone who does care, eventually you'll just end up with a community of people who don't.

Anybody hear the outcome from the April 3 hearing?

I believe this was continued; not sure who requested it.

The conceptual plans go before the Board of Adjustment next Thursday, April 17th.

There were only two protest letters, both from homeowners on the same street (21st). Concerns over traffic, parking, etc.d

There also three letters of support.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The conceptual plans go before the Board of Adjustment next Thursday, April 17th.

There were only two protest letters, both from homeowners on the same street (21st). Concerns over traffic, parking, etc.d

There also three letters of support.
    I sent an email in support. Where can we read the letters?

says 'page cannot be found' for me

Thread Information