Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Events Center

1. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

The Power and Light district hasn't exactly been an unqualified success. A success yes, but with some associated problems.

Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That is doubtful. The Chisolm Creek development, if done to its potential, will be the kind of retail center than have been built in places like Dallas and Kansas City for several years now. It's nothing that would make them jealous because they already have everything OKC will gain from the development even under a best-case scenario.
    I don't know a great way to say this without sounding like a complete d-bag so I apologize if it comes off like that. I have some insider info on a particular part of this project that I might get fired if I share. I have told Pete and he knows what I am talking about. Once the entertainment venue part becomes public knowledge, you will know what I am talking about. Sorry to sound all metro, but I didn't know of a better way to say it.

3. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Regarding the Bricktown Events Center (subject of this thread), the owner actually has a very good relationship with several promoters, including DCF, who owns the Diamond. Through the years DCF has booked many of the shows in Tulsa that people WISH came to OKC. DCF and Brewer (owner of event center) have been working hard to build OKC market, as they have seen evidence that it is maturing to the point where it doesn't have to be an also-ran music city in this state. Part of that strategy has been the recent aggressive booking of smaller shows at Bricktown Music Hall (Brewer is the landlord).

I have had a number of conversations with Brent about this, and he wants very much for the event center to emerge as a venue that gets the same types of shows that now go to the Brady, with BMH serving almost as a baby Cain's, along the lines of what you see at the side hall there. He is very passionate about building the music scene in OKC and specifically in Bricktown, and I really think you are going to see great shows land in this building.

There's room for multiple venues in this market, including Diamond and the Chevy Bricktown Events Center peacefully coexisting. We just need more bookings, and they will definitely happen in this building with these renovations, which have been planned for a couple of years now.

^

Great to hear! Thanks for sharing.

I hate seeing shows there. It sucks. Not sold on DCF either.

The seating and the acoustics is what will always separate the Brady from all the others.

7. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I hate seeing shows there. It sucks. Not sold on DCF either.
    Well, if you look at the plans, it will basically be a new room, so I would encourage you to give it a shot. Regarding DCF, they book great shows...but historically have booked most of the best ones in Tulsa. If you look at it purely from a business perspective that makes the most sense. Tulsa has historically been a better live music town, plus OKC folks think nothing of driving to T-town for shows while Tulsa folks often wouldn't "lower themselves" to coming to OKC for shows. I know that when I go to shows in Tulsa (often) I usually run into MANY OKC folks. My personal theory is that Tulsa shows often draw 25% or more of their sales from the 405, which means that we are unintentionally bolstering their already-great reputation.

Plus, T-town people (rightfully, usually) think instead of going to OKC they can just wait for that band to swing back through Tulsa (which they probably will). So the smart money usually books in Tulsa.

What has changed is that DCF now has some more competition for bookings in Tulsa, AND is starting to believe that Oklahoma could become a two-show sate for a lot of bands, even if the shows are in separate tour legs. An example recently was back-to-back Local Natives shows at Cain's and Diamond, both very well attended (Cain's a sellout). So I can see why someone might not think DCF is a great promoter for OKC shows, but I believe those opinions are going to change for a lot of people in the near future. Thus building will help.

8. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    The seating and the acoustics is what will always separate the Brady from all the others.
    I don't disagree that the Brady is a great building (though I have been in better; the Uptown Theater in KC comes to mind), but that is no reason to throw up our hands and give up. And I don't think anyone can fairly pass judgment on this reconfigured building until the see a show when it reopens after renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Well, if you look at the plans, it will basically be a new room, so I would encourage you to give it a shot. Regarding DCF, they book great shows...but historically have booked most of the best ones in Tulsa. If you look at it purely from a business perspective that makes the most sense. Tulsa has historically been a better live music town, plus OKC folks think nothing of driving to T-town for shows while Tulsa folks often wouldn't "lower themselves" to coming to OKC for shows. I know that when I go to shows in Tulsa (often) I usually run into MANY OKC folks. My personal theory is that Tulsa shows often draw 25% or more of their sales from the 405, which means that we are unintentionally bolstering their already-great reputation.

Plus, T-town people (rightfully, usually) think instead of going to OKC they can just wait for that band to swing back through Tulsa (which they probably will). So the smart money usually books in Tulsa.

What has changed is that DCF now has some more competition for bookings in Tulsa, AND is starting to believe that Oklahoma could become a two-show sate for a lot of bands, even if the shows are in separate tour legs. An example recently was back-to-back Local Natives shows at Cain's and Diamond, both very well attended (Cain's a sellout). So I can see why someone might not think DCF is a great promoter for OKC shows, but I believe those opinions are going to change for a lot of people in the near future. Thus building will help.
    I understand the dynamics of the business DCF is running, I've just never been impressed. OKC has nearly a quarter million more people than the Tulsa metro. Anything that works there would work here. And, I might add, Tulsa has not always been such a great live music town. The family who saved Cain's and starting booking everything under the sun have made Tulsa a music town, not DCF.

I'm sure they took their lumps at first but now Tulsans are in the habit of seeing great touring acts -- and many of the visitors at their shows are from OKC, as you note.

People hate the Diamond Ballroom even more, which is why they choose to visit Tulsa to see the same artists.

10. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

I'm just saying things are changing. Believe it or don't believe it.

The fact they are sinking almost $2 million into this structure tells me they have ambitious plans to create a lot more revenue.

Look forward to the changes!

Me & wife would be much more likely to go downtown to a concert than we would to go the Diamond, which is never.

I think this is outstanding news

I don't want to seem like Debbie Downer, but I've not been impressed with DCF. I get that they're in biz to make money, but they pass on most acts, which bypass OKC for Tulsa. I really wish they weren't the only game in town, because OKC is bypassed by most touring artists.

As for the Bricktown Events Center improvements, I will withhold judgment for now, but it has been a really $hitty venue to see live concerts. Hopefully that will change.

14. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Well, at least you're open-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A big development is brewing for the "Joe Carter Lot" just south of the events center.

I'm sure this is what Steve has been hinting about with the "will make Dallas & KC envious" comments.

Would be a large mixed-use project with an entertainment venue and structured parking and other elements.

Nothing finalized but this is well along in negotiations with the City, which owns that property.

Should have more details soon.
    Pete, any idea on the type of entertainment venue?

I'd like to see the Opolis guys get into doing some bigger shows in the city. Everyone complains that bands bypass OKC, but that's really more bands of a certain size. The Opolis brings in a lot of very cool bands, but they're often of the "you haven't heard of them, YET" variety. DCF brings better known bands to Cain's and the Diamond, but, honestly, the Opolis is really a better source to discover new music.

But I do think this could be a good room and these improvements are definitively a step towards putting it on par with other venues on the large ballroom circuit. It's already bigger than cain's, and these additions should put it right in the sweet spot between cain's and the Brady. It just needs acoustic and amenity improvements, and this seems to be a step towards that. It really is a great size and location. If it gets paired with good promoters (other than DCF), it could be a premier venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A big development is brewing for the "Joe Carter Lot" just south of the events center.

I'm sure this is what Steve has been hinting about with the "will make Dallas & KC envious" comments.

Would be a large mixed-use project with an entertainment venue and structured parking and other elements.

Nothing finalized but this is well along in negotiations with the City, which owns that property.

Should have more details soon.
    Pete, what type of entertainment venue ( theatre / live music / etc ) ? thanks.

18. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I'd like to see the Opolis guys get into doing some bigger shows in the city. Everyone complains that bands bypass OKC, but that's really more bands of a certain size. The Opolis brings in a lot of very cool bands, but they're often of the "you haven't heard of them, YET" variety. DCF brings better known bands to Cain's and the Diamond, but, honestly, the Opolis is really a better source to discover new music...
    I've tried to get the Bricktown Music Hall guys together with Andy and Marian - and I think there is a willingness on both ends - but they just haven't made a connection yet. I agree that Opolis routinely brings the best indie shows to the metro by far (owing to the Nunez' connections in the industry) and they often get shows that really have no business being in that tiny room, which of course just makes it that much cooler.

But I do think they could put some of those "larger than should be in the Opolis" shows into a bigger room (which they do from time to time at places like the union at OU). So I would love to see them start booking a few in OKC (which they have done in the past).

Brent (owner of the Chevy Bricktown Event Center) also has a good relationship with The Opolis folks so I think you could also see them putting some show into that reconfigured room in the future, though I don't know how much appetite they have for "big" shows and the risk that comes along with them.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    Pete, what type of entertainment venue ( theatre / live music / etc ) ? thanks.
    No one has anything solid or able to report as such yet. Pete said he'll have more details soon, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    No one has anything solid or able to report as such yet. Pete said he'll have more details soon, so we'll see.
    Thanks Panda.

i would like to see them also pay some attention to the acoustics with this remodel. i'm sure it will be addressed since the upper level will obviously affect how the room sounds. but the sound in the center has been spotty at best at the concerts i've attended there over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    Thanks Panda.
    np.... very excited for this, Lumber Yard, and Chilshom Creek development... these will be game changers and truly transform the city if lived up to the hype

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I've tried to get the Bricktown Music Hall guys together with Andy and Marian - and I think there is a willingness on both ends - but they just haven't made a connection yet. I agree that Opolis routinely brings the best indie shows to the metro by far (owing to the Nunez' connections in the industry) and they often get shows that really have no business being in that tiny room, which of course just makes it that much cooler.

But I do think they could put some of those "larger than should be in the Opolis" shows into a bigger room (which they do from time to time at places like the union at OU). So I would love to see them start booking a few in OKC (which they have done in the past).

Brent (owner of the Chevy Bricktown Event Center) also has a good relationship with The Opolis folks so I think you could also see them putting some show into that reconfigured room in the future, though I don't know how much appetite they have for "big" shows and the risk that comes along with them.
    That's good to hear. I'd love to see some of those Opolis shows downtown. You're right, though, bigger shows equal bigger headaches, but I doubt BMH would be that tough. Of course, the BEC is a totally different animal.

24. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Yeah, Opolis Productions could book shows into BMH tomorrow if they wanted to. I'm sure they have shows that they could access but can't take on because of their current venue size, and this would be the perfect fit for that. BEC though, is a quantum leap. Over there you are talking about bands that routinely command $10K and up per show.

An update by Steve with depictions of what the renovated space will look like.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/4569156?embargo=1

Thread Information