Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Events Center

1. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Incredible sold-out show last night by Alt-J and Tycho. One of the best shows I've seen in OKC in a long time, and I marveled again at how much better the venue is now. Also, after his set, Tycho (@ISO50) tweeted "Oklahoma City is one of the coolest places I've been in a long time", so, there's that.

Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

I've seen Tycho live & they play the most beautiful music I've ever heard in my life. I wish I could have made it to the show last night.

3. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Yeah, super-impressed with both bands live.

4. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Both bands were great. The venue is super cool and the acoustics not bad. Tycho was good, but Alt-J killed. So so good. Lighting and video for Alt-J were trippy and over the top but really well done.

5. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

The Alt-J light show reminded me a lot of Interpol's. Lots of monochromatic washes.

That was a very good show last night and the venue is sooooo much better. In addition to the new floors, they did put some acoustic panels on the walls and some curtain treatments. It was definitely the best the place has ever sounded to me. I've certainly seen shows that sounded worse at higher profile venues.Some of that, of course, has a lot to do with the sound engineering of specific shows, but it does at least show that if a band sounds like crap at BEC, it's no longer the room's fault. It's up to promoters to up their game now, imo.

The only bummer was that the VIP bar upstairs is the only one with cocktails, but I'm not going to complain, because anything is better than the old bush league drink ticket system they used before.

7. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Now if they'd just put some pub tables upstairs so us "more seasoned" patrons that don't want to stand the whole time could have a place to sit and enjoy the show...

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post

The only bummer was that the VIP bar upstairs is the only one with cocktails, but I'm not going to complain, because anything is better than the old bush league drink ticket system they used before.
    Only been here once before the renovation (for Wilco), wondering exactly what this means? Is there only beer/wine available at the downstairs bar(s)? Do you have to buy VIP tickets to get to the balcony to get mixed drinks? If so, is the ticket price difference huge or negligible?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Only been here once before the renovation (for Wilco), wondering exactly what this means? Is there only beer/wine available at the downstairs bar(s)? Do you have to buy VIP tickets to get to the balcony to get mixed drinks? If so, is the ticket price difference huge or negligible?
    I'm not even sure if they had wine downstairs, I can't remember, but yes, the mixed drinks were only available upstairs and you do have to buy VIP tickets. I don't know what the price difference was as a friend bought the tix, but it looks like the difference is $10 for both Marilyn Manson and Primus, so I bet that's standard. Also says upstairs is 21 and over only, so I'm guessing this all has to do with some brilliant liquor law drawn up 60 years ago.

10. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

I don't know this for a fact, but suspect that they will add liquor to the downstairs bars after they have their feet under themselves completely, depending also on the artist. I don't think there is a legal restriction there (security was carding/wristbanding 21+ at Alt-J), and all they would have to do is restrict access around the bar areas to 21+ (they may have already been doing this; I just wasn't paying attention). I'm guessing they kept beer only at the downstairs bar so they could keep up (the show was a sellout and one of their first). They did an excellent job of keeping the lines flowing, though I would def suggest going to the side bar instead of the one at the back of the hall.

Regarding the mezzanine, I just bought tickets for Lord Huron at Cain's in July, and the mezzanine upcharge was $15 on a base $22 ticket. I happily paid it, because I will almost always do that to avoid lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I don't know this for a fact, but suspect that they will add liquor to the downstairs bars after they have their feet under themselves completely, depending also on the artist. I don't think there is a legal restriction there (security was carding/wristbanding 21+ at Alt-J), and all they would have to do is restrict access around the bar areas to 21+ (they may have already been doing this; I just wasn't paying attention). I'm guessing they kept beer only at the downstairs bar so they could keep up (the show was a sellout and one of their first). They did an excellent job of keeping the lines flowing, though I would def suggest going to the side bar instead of the one at the back of the hall.

Regarding the mezzanine, I just bought tickets for Lord Huron at Cain's in July, and the mezzanine upcharge was $15 on a base $22 ticket. I happily paid it, because I will almost always do that to avoid lines...
    You may be right about it being because of promoter / venue preference as opposed to a law. Does Cain's do full bar on the main floor? I can't remember.

I think the VIP would be a good spot for a show at BEC, as long as they don't sell it where you have to stand more than 2 deep from the railing. I had to do that at a HOB show in Chicago and it wasn't all that great.

Just attended the Tour De Compadres here last night. All I can say is RIP Diamond Ballroom. Not that the bar was set very high, but this place is just better in every single way. Even getting will call tickets and entering the venue was super quick and organized. The thing that was really amazing was that there were maybe 20 minutes of transition time between each band. I'm so used to waiting 45 min between bands at the Diamond. Could be that the tour crew itself was super organized, but the BEC has a huge stage and plenty of backstage area to move gear. Sound and Lighting were superb, and really like the balcony level.

Probably still on a high from last night, but really happy with this place. Have really high hopes for this and the Criterion to take the live music scene here to another level.

They just announced Super Diamond (Neil Diamond tribute band) is playing here on New Year's Eve.

But looking at the website for this venue... I don't see any other concerts on the calendar. Can that be correct??

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They just announced Super Diamond (Neil Diamond tribute band) is playing here on New Year's Eve.

But looking at the website for this venue... I don't see any other concerts on the calendar. Can that be correct??
    Yeah, it's weird. UCO Performance Lab gets booked better than this venue.

and diamond is still getting the shows... lamb of god/anthrax was just announced for there, and it seems like that show could've done well at bricktown events.

Wow, they spent a ton of money then have ONE concert booked over the next several months?

I thought Criterion would hurt them but at this point they could only help.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    and diamond is still getting the shows... lamb of god/anthrax was just announced for there, and it seems like that show could've done well at bricktown events.
    It has to be promotion. I've been to both and the Diamond is basically a roller rink with a stage at one end plopped in the middle of a gravel parking lot.

Maybe the cost to book the venue is too high, or maybe the energy just isn't there. i know the younger Brett also has a crossfire studio that he spends a ton of time at.... One never really knows , but something seems to be off just for the simple fact, they rarely have anything worth attending.

I'm guessing maybe DCF owns the Diamond. If so, unless there's a significant show that the diamond just can't handle, the economics would be better for them there. I could be totally wrong on that though.

20. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

DCF does own Diamond.

21. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Just bought Ben Folds tickets for here April 13th. They are having a presale on protix right now with BRICKTOWN as the promo code. Looking forward to seeing this place in person

Wow! They booked a concert!

Can't believe how few music events are happening since the expensive renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wow! They booked a concert!

Can't believe how few music events are happening since the expensive renovation.
    Same. Few good shows come to OKC and those that do still play at the Diamond.

Hopefully this isn't a foreshadow of what will happen at the Criterion and the Tower.

24. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Hopefully this isn't a foreshadow of what will happen at the Criterion and the Tower.
    Live Nation is the biggest entertainment company in the world. There is absolutely no reason to assume that they won't be able to book either venue.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Outside of being needlessly pessimistic, why would the lack of events in a venue run by a local company have any bearing on the future success of 2 venues run by one of the largest entertainment companies in the world?

Thread Information