Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossroads Mall

Default Re: Crossroads Mall

Rajan Cujan is going to be moving in Crossroads Mall where the old Chifilia was and Crossroads will be adding where people can drop off younger kids while parents shop and kids can play and do stuff, it sounds cool

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Rajan Cujan is going to be moving in Crossroads Mall where the old Chifilia was and Crossroads will be adding where people can drop off younger kids while parents shop and kids can play and do stuff, it sounds cool
    Where are you seeing/hearing this?

It was shared on Facebook yesterday, a group called Crossroads Convention Center. It listed multiple businesses that had signed leases for different mall spots along with videos of tours etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Where are you seeing/hearing this?
    On Facebook called Crossroads Convention Center

Crossroads Mall is set to reopen in the next couple of months.

Each of the 90,000SF floors at the old Dillard's will be converted into huge banquet and event spaces.

Several restaurants and local businesses of all types have signed already signed leases.

The out-of-state owner has partnered with a local group that is driving the leasing activity and organizing the cleanup needed after several years of complete closure.

The JC Penney building is still on track to becoming a large Asian food and restaurant supply store, along with a food court. Another large Chinese buffet is planned for inside the mall.

Sante Fe South schools own the buildings and operate facilities at the other two previous department stores: Wards and John A. Brown.

If all goes to plan, the mall should reopen its doors in August or September.

More info about leasing space and future tenants:
    https://www.facebook.com/crossroadsconventioncenter

Pete: Minor corrections: The Santa Fe space was Montgomery Wards. Sears was never in Crossroads. John A Brown was in the north end, which was at various times Sanger Harris, Foley's, and Macy's. When the mall closed, Hudiburg Automotive Group operated a parts distribution center out of the site. Now that's not to say Santa Fe might not have bought that location as well after Hudiburg closed the parts center, but there's no question Sears never had a Crossroads store. There was smoke around the idea that Sears wanted the Wards space after.Warda went bankrupt, but Wards ownership of that space was an intractable obstacle and the effort was eventually abandoned.

The Sears thing was just a typo which I corrected.

And SFS absolutely owns those two former dept. stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Sears thing was just a typo which I corrected.

And SFS absolutely owns those two former dept. stores.
    Good enough. Great to see the place being revitalized.

It was the first time I had been in the mall since I moved away in 1989 when all the department stores were still open and it hadn't completely transformed into its 'sad mall' phase.

It took me a while to get my bearings because everything was empty but once I did, I could fully visualize all the stores from when I worked there in college in the early '80s.

It was a very melancholy experience and I'm sure similar to someone returning to their small town and seeing Main Street all boarded up.

Still so humbling to see it in this shape. I remember growing up in the 90s, and Crossroads was always insanely busy. To see it end up like this, I didn't see it coming as a kid (looking back, I guess there were signs).

Wasn't Steve and Barry's in the Montgomery Ward space for a little bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Unless I have false memories then yes, there was.

I am glad it is reopening but it is sad to see the mall in terrible shape

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    The greatest store brand in the history of Crossroads Mall. You go into Steve and Barry's with $100 and you were literally a king.

As far as reopening the mall, they are now aiming for late October/early November.

16. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

very nice to see this. Wow - has a regional mall the size of Crossroads come back to life as a mall?

I nope now, that they resolve the security issues AND capitalize on what malls are now without canibalizing from Capital Hill and downtown. Make crossroads the unique draw with offerings not found in the metro/state/region.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

With the store leases that are going in the mall it looks like a lot of it is going to be more of a Old Paris Flea market type stores. Im glad its being used as a mall again instead of being vacant. Hopefully it makes a go of it but it looks like the same style shops when they tried making it a cultural center mall. Hopefully with the asian area going into the old Jcpennys area it will help the mall part with customers.

Yeah, just being open and having some businesses inside is probably the best we can hope for at this point.

Sadly, I240 as a retail center is on a downward slide. Too bad Envision 240 never received the support it deserves and needs. It may well go the way of Crossroads.

Exclusive sneak peek of abandoned Crossroads Mall in South Oklahoma City set to soon reopen
    https://kfor.com/news/exclusive-snea...o-soon-reopen/

Construction has started on the Friendship Gate.

The operators of the mall told me they plan to reopen in mid-November.

I see CRoads being very valuable in 10 years or so once the commuter line starts up if they were to put a stop at CRoads. Its literally in one of the best spots for transportation to get around the city. You got the BNSF line, I-240, I-35, and Shields Blvd all nearby.

Imagine some nice transit oriented development and what could be done with the mostly industrial area around.

23. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

I love the fact that Crossroads is reopening with a new life, but I still can't help but think the Asian mall and gate would have been better to have gone to Shepherd Mall; it's closer to the Asian District and the dense population base. Yes, crossroads will be a destination but I would love to see OKC get some synergy and critical mass that helps feed/sustain development rather than having hodge podge here and there that's likely doomed to fail.

Anyway, wishing Crossroads a HUGE success.

24. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    it's closer to the Asian District and the dense population base.
    I'm assuming by dense population base that you are accounting for all races but... Take a look at the latest census data and you'll see that the Asian population is higher on the south side of town than it is anywhere else.

There is already another unofficial Asian District on the south side in the 89th and Penn area and there are other Asian groceries, restaurants, and churches scattered all around the south side of I-240.

Then when you get to the Moore/Mid-Del area there is a strong Korean presence there.

25. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

population density of the n-central city is the highest in the city for the size of the area.

Don't race bait. I do understand and appreciate that OKC is a diverse and integrated city. But if the 'mall' were in/near the Asian district it'd help make the area more of a destination - that was my point.

Thread Information