Widgets Magazine
Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1610

Thread: Producers Coop

Default Re: Producers Coop

HangryHippo Guest

Man, I hope whatever happens here is extraordinary. Because that is a LOT of land...

There sure looks like there is more land than before everything was cleared for sure.

Great shots Pete. Especially the close up of the old GE center cab locomotive. Looks to be a 44 Tonner and I'm assuming the number on the cab represents the year it was built as that would be inside the time frame the these units were in production.

Is that thing effectively stranded there until it is lifted onto a truck or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Is that thing effectively stranded there until it is lifted onto a truck or something?
    I can't say for sure, but from Pete's pictures, it sure does look like the rails on either side of PCOM 1944 have been cut and removed. It very likely will need to be trucked out at this point.

Yes, the rails all around it are long gone.

Leave it there and make it some sort of landmark. We need more interesting things to interact with.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Leave it there and make it some sort of landmark. We need more interesting things to interact with.
    Great idea and I hope that is the plan.

Leaving it there would be awesome.

Truthfully, I would absolutely hate to see this happen to PCOM 1944. This GE 80 tonner, serial number 31823, was built in March 1953, and started life as USAF 1691, originally assigned to McGuire AFB (near Cookstown, NJ). I've been able to find pictures of it at Wright-Patterson AFB (near Dayton, OH) as well. After the USAF decommissioned it in the late 80's/early 90's, this unit became SWRX 1 for the Indiana Port Commission's Southwind Shortline Railroad, then was sold to Mid-America Locomotive & Car Repair in Evansville, IN, until purchased by Producers Cooperative in February 2012. It arrived in OKC and was fully rebuilt and restored - including rebuilding both engines and all four traction motors - and given the current "Amtrak Phase V" style paint job that same year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4damkZv0-Tc). The locomotive's number - 1944 - is a reference to the year that PCOM was founded. Aside from it's (relatively) short stay in OKC, and the PCOM lettering, it has few historical ties to OKC. Plus, there aren't a large number of these ex-military GE 80 tonners around anymore - especially not in the excellent condition that this one is in. I'd much, much, MUCH rather see this locomotive go to ORM or some other museum that would preserve it.
    Last edited by baralheia; 03-08-2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Truthfully, I would absolutely hate to see this happen to PCOM 1944. This GE 80 tonner was built in 1953, and started life as USAF 1691, assigned to McGuire AFB (near Cookstown, NJ). It arrived in OKC in 2012, after being fully restored and given the current paint job. The locomotive's number - 1944 - is a reference to the year that PCOM was founded. Aside from it's (relatively) short stay in OKC, and the PCOM lettering, it has few historical ties to OKC. Plus, there aren't a large number of these ex-military GE 80 tonners around anymore - especially not in the excellent condition that this one is in. I'd much, much, MUCH rather see this locomotive go to ORM or some other museum that would preserve it.
    I would hope that by making it a landmark that it would be preserved and maintained....

The fact that there aren't a lot left would be a great reason to keep it here.

Truthfully, I would absolutely hate to see this happen to PCOM 1944. This GE 80 tonner was built in 1953, and started life as USAF 1691, assigned to McGuire AFB (near Cookstown, NJ). It arrived in OKC in 2012, after being fully restored and given the current paint job. The locomotive's number - 1944 - is a reference to the year that PCOM was founded. Aside from it's (relatively) short stay in OKC, and the PCOM lettering, it has few historical ties to OKC. Plus, there aren't a large number of these ex-military GE 80 tonners around anymore - especially not in the excellent condition that this one is in. I'd much, much, MUCH rather see this locomotive go to ORM or some other museum that would preserve it.
    I knew it looked longer than a 44 Tonner, but still 5 doors along the hood. I know the 50 Tonners, and 70 Tonners look obviously different. Never thought of the 80's.

Actually there was something interesting there, but they tore it all down.

Truthfully, I would absolutely hate to see this happen to PCOM 1944. This GE 80 tonner, serial number 31823, was built in 1953, and started life as USAF 1691, originally assigned to McGuire AFB (near Cookstown, NJ). I've been able to find pictures of it at Wright-Patterson AFB (near Dayton, OH) as well. After the USAF decommissioned it, this unit became SWRX 1 for the Indiana Port Commission's Southwind Shortline Railroad, until purchased by Producers Cooperative in 2012. It arrived in OKC and was fully restored and given the current paint job that same year. The locomotive's number - 1944 - is a reference to the year that PCOM was founded. Aside from it's (relatively) short stay in OKC, and the PCOM lettering, it has few historical ties to OKC. Plus, there aren't a large number of these ex-military GE 80 tonners around anymore - especially not in the excellent condition that this one is in. I'd much, much, MUCH rather see this locomotive go to ORM or some other museum that would preserve it.
    Foamer.

But seriously, great knowledge here. And a good idea for ORM.

I would hope that by making it a landmark that it would be preserved and maintained....

The fact that there aren't a lot left would be a great reason to keep it here.
    I would rather see it be preserved in running condition, which it would no longer be if it was turned into a static display. I'd be willing to bet ORM would LOVE to have that beauty operational and rolling on their rails.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Foamer.

But seriously, great knowledge here. And a good idea for ORM.
    Armchair foamer, hahaha, but yeah... What can I say, I like trains, lmao. Cobbled all of that info together from several sources online.

^^^ So do I . Life long rail fan here. As a kid, while visiting my grandparents up in Chicago, I whiled away many hours sitting along side the racetrack watching the E units on the CB&Q and later BN. And also catching the Texas Chief and Lone Star here in okc for the ride up there.

Truthfully, I would absolutely hate to see this happen to PCOM 1944. This GE 80 tonner, serial number 31823, was built in March 1953, and started life as USAF 1691, originally assigned to McGuire AFB (near Cookstown, NJ). I've been able to find pictures of it at Wright-Patterson AFB (near Dayton, OH) as well. After the USAF decommissioned it in the late 80's/early 90's, this unit became SWRX 1 for the Indiana Port Commission's Southwind Shortline Railroad, then was sold to Mid-America Locomotive & Car Repair in Evansville, IN, until purchased by Producers Cooperative in February 2012. It arrived in OKC and was fully rebuilt and restored - including rebuilding both engines and all four traction motors - and given the current "Amtrak Phase V" style paint job that same year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4damkZv0-Tc). The locomotive's number - 1944 - is a reference to the year that PCOM was founded. Aside from it's (relatively) short stay in OKC, and the PCOM lettering, it has few historical ties to OKC. Plus, there aren't a large number of these ex-military GE 80 tonners around anymore - especially not in the excellent condition that this one is in. I'd much, much, MUCH rather see this locomotive go to ORM or some other museum that would preserve it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

I called for this months ago in post 795. We must think alike. lol

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ^^^ So do I . Life long rail fan here. As a kid, while visiting my grandparents up in Chicago, I whiled away many hours sitting along side the racetrack watching the E units on the CB&Q and later BN. And also catching the Texas Chief and Lone Star here in okc for the ride up there.
    Nice! I don't want to derail this thread too much more, but... yeah, I've loved trains since I was a kid too. I missed out on the era of seeing most of the more interesting streamlined equipment in revenue service, though. A large part of my passion is for passenger rail - if I'm traveling somewhere, I try to take Amtrak as much as is possible, and I'm a big advocate for expansion of service across the state; I also really enjoy learning about the history of routes, both active and abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    LOL... I don't get quite that excited about trains, though I do admit both of those locomotives - the E8 and the BL-2 - are quite beautiful.

nice! i don't want to derail this thread too much more, but... Yeah, i've loved trains since i was a kid too. I missed out on the era of seeing most of the more interesting streamlined equipment in revenue service, though. A large part of my passion is for passenger rail - if i'm traveling somewhere, i try to take amtrak as much as is possible, and i'm a big advocate for expansion of service across the state; i also really enjoy learning about the history of routes, both active and abandoned.

Lol... I don't get quite that excited about trains, though i do admit both of those locomotives - the e8 and the bl-2 - are quite beautiful.
    i see what you did there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Leaving it there would be awesome.
    The locomotive was sold to the demolition company as part of the demolition contract. It will be disassembled and removed by the demolition company. Not sure what their planned use will be for the old girl.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    The locomotive was sold to the demolition company as part of the demolition contract. It will be disassembled and removed by the demolition company. Not sure what their planned use will be for the old girl.
    Ooof. That is incredibly disappointing to hear. I would not be surprised to see her go to scrap now. But maybe, maybe 1944 will be sold to someone that will actually put it back in service somewhere... I hope, anyway.

Ooof. That is incredibly disappointing to hear. I would not be surprised to see her go to scrap now. But maybe, maybe 1944 will be sold to someone that will actually put it back in service somewhere... I hope, anyway.
    The price that they paid for it would tell me that they aren't scrapping it. Not sure what use it will see, but I believe it will be something more than scrap.

The price that they paid for it would tell me that they aren't scrapping it. Not sure what use it will see, but I believe it will be something more than scrap.
    I certainly hope you are correct. Good information, thank you!

That makes sense, it looked in too good of shape for it to just be abandoned like that.

Thread Information