Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Producers Coop

Default Re: Producers Coop

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Nothing concrete yet but there is a conceptual plan to extend the canal, add hotels and commercial.
    A canal extensions has my vote! There is SO much potential for this lot. Let's hope it is done right!

With the amount of work they're putting in clearing it, with people working weekends, you'd think they have a pretty good idea what they want to do with it.

Although extending the canal would be great, the landowner should pay for it as it will be the one reaping the most benefit of improving already valuable land that doesn't need public assistance to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Although extending the canal would be great, the landowner should pay for it as it will be the one reaping the most benefit of improving already valuable land that doesn't need public assistance to develop.
    Yes, I agree... I think the downtown area has reached (perhaps passed) a point of diminishing returns for public funds invested in such a small geographic footprint. There are 100's of Sq. miles in the city that need attention.

Reminder the City just passed a whole new slew of TIF's for the downtown area, so you can expect hundreds of millions more in public subsidies.

With out question TIF funds will be used to develop infrastructure for this project. Like the city owned streets utilities and what will be a city owned canal

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    With out question TIF funds will be used to develop infrastructure for this project. Like the city owned streets utilities and what will be a city owned canal
    I have no issue with infrastructure but if the landowners want a canal...they should pony up. After they build it they can enter into a agreement with the city to pay a pro ratio share of upkeep and maintenance on the canal.

They really need to figure out what they're going to do with PCOM 1944, that beautiful GE switcher locomotive on site. As I understand it, railfans who have seen it recently note that the cab appears to be unsecured, which doesn't bode well for keeping copper thieves out of it. PCOM really needs to move this somewhere secure, even if only temporary until it sells, like ORM.

^^ You’d think they’d got it out of there before the tracks were pulled up. It would have to be craned onto a heavy lowboy now. Not many of those old GE “tonners” left these days.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ^^ You’d think they’d got it out of there before the tracks were pulled up. It would have to be craned onto a heavy lowboy now. Not many of those old GE “tonners” left these days.
    You got that right. Last I saw, it looked like there was still enough track there to get it out onto the BNSF mainline when the time comes, but I have no idea just what the schedule for track removal is, and whether or not the old gal will get marooned on site out there.

The outlet to that track that encircles the coop is counter-clockwise, which means they are working from the far end to recycle the old track and ties.

It would have to pass inspection before BNSF would even touch it.

Not much has changed here as they seem to be focusing on clearing out the mountains of debris already piled up everywhere.

14. Default Re: Producers Coop

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I have no issue with infrastructure but if the landowners want a canal...they should pony up. After they build it they can enter into a agreement with the city to pay a pro ratio share of upkeep and maintenance on the canal.
    Sorry, I have to disagree. The canal would be a public project, with public access and sidewalks. It would be owned and operated by the City or a public trust. No developer is going to pony up to pay for construction then turn it over to the city. Just as the original canal, the city should pay for any expansion. Its a city investment that would pay tax dividends for decades to come.

What you're asking is the same as asking developers to pay for a light rail system because there would be development opportunities at each rail stop. It would be impractical in OKC.

Blog Entries

I'm not in disagreement with you.

But... technically the very beginnings of our streetcar system were done by developers to get people to their housing additions and then when they tried to raise rates the city said nope, it's a public service (something like that anyway). So maybe just a bad example?

You can see they have started to tear up the concrete foundations.

Amazing how much different this looks now. I can see the insane potential much easier now.

18. Default Re: Producers Coop

It’s as big as all of Bricktown. It’s an amazing opportunity to do something special. Also an amazing opportunity to misfire in a massive way, if not careful.

I'm sad that everything built on this site will consist of just good enough architectural technology developed for the suburbs instead of the "overbuilt" classics that have 100 to 150 years in their bones.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It’s as big as all of Bricktown. It’s an amazing opportunity to do something special. Also an amazing opportunity to misfire in a massive way, if not careful.
    What's your best guess as to how this turns out? Amazing or massive misfire?

21. Default Re: Producers Coop

Reserving judgment until I talk to more people involved and see plans. Cautiously optimistic, but want to be convinced that walkability isn’t given lip service.

Is that silo in the lower right corner coming down also?

No. That has actually been renovated into a small office building and wasn't part of the CoOp.

Looks like that old GE Tonner still has a way out of there. Hope it goes to a good home and not to scrap.

Thread Information