Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964 ... LastLast

Thread: Producers Coop

Default Re: Producers Coop

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    so now, they can start investing in themselves for a change perhaps?
    Yeah, who is "they"? The estimated economic impact of our horse show industry is over $100 million dollars a year*. That's more than the new CC is projected to get up by 2028 ( Around $80MM - $90MM, net of the impact of building it**). That's more than the impact the Thunder has been estimated to have ($50MM - $80MM***, though I kind of think that's low). These people come from all over the world for these events. The shows produce 175k room nights a year*, and the occupancy tax on those rooms pays for a lot of the improvements to facilities used for these events*. So, if by "they" you mean the horse show attendees, "they" actually do invest in themselves and OKC to the tune of millions of dollars a year.

I'm in no way making an argument against spending on sports facilities or convention centers, and these numbers often seem dubious, but if we were to just use the economic impact estimates available to do a simple return on investment analysis, we'd be spending more, not less, on the horse show facilities at the fair grounds.

* Equine facility makeover at Oklahoma City's State Fair Park is almost complete | News OK
    ** http://www.theallianceokc.org/sites/...0CC_121313.pdf
    *** Oklahoma City?s Thunder BOOM! - Slice - September 2014 - Oklahoma City

Just imagine the synergy of horse-a-rama (on the coop site), the Chesapeake arena (and maybe a new rodeo specific one on the coop site), and the convention center. THAT would be pretty cool. Of course, the Meridian hotels would have a fit.

I can personally attest to seeing massive impact by the horse-show industry in OKC. Whatever our investment was, there's no doubt that we're making bank on it, and getting a lot of people interested in our city as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Just imagine the synergy of horse-a-rama (on the coop site), the Chesapeake arena (and maybe a new rodeo specific one on the coop site), and the convention center. THAT would be pretty cool. Of course, the Meridian hotels would have a fit.
    Just imagine all the people who would hate to tow a horse trailer into downtown. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Just imagine all the people who would hate to tow a horse trailer into downtown.
    I don't see that as an actual problem.

It'd probably be more of a problem than asking convention attendees to walk to this site from a hotel.

I'm going to bet you've never seen the ocean of stock vehicles parked at the fairgrounds during an event.

There will be an exit ramp from I-40, I-35, and I-235 on to OKC Blvd, and then a left turn at Oklahoma Ave. How much easier can it possibly get.

There will be an exit ramp from I-40, I-35, and I-235 on to OKC Blvd, and then a left turn at Oklahoma Ave. How much easier can it possibly get.
    Pave central park for a parking area for the large trucks, stock trailers and travel trailers and problem solved! There are reasons it is successful where it is. Location is one of them.

Blog Entries

Lot's of wasted time on something that is NEVER going to happen. Why don't we just start discussing how moving the NYSE to the COOP site would be so cool and bring a real urban feel to downtown...not to mention how great that would be to mention on all Thunder telecasts. Or, while we are at it, why not move the Eiffel Tower there....now THAT would be cool.

About as much chance.

As for convention attendee access - there is walking, streetcar, and canal access already and moving everything here might direct more visitors to the river boats. Plus we could add something not many US cities have... urban gondolas.

The Gondola Project

Pave central park for a parking area for the large trucks, stock trailers and travel trailers and problem solved! There are reasons it is successful where it is. Location is one of them.
    The entire area is about 50 acres. That is way more than enough room so no need to pave the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Lot's of wasted time on something that is NEVER going to happen. Why don't we just start discussing how moving the NYSE to the COOP site would be so cool and bring a real urban feel to downtown...not to mention how great that would be to mention on all Thunder telecasts. Or, while we are at it, why not move the Eiffel Tower there....now THAT would be cool.

About as much chance.
    Agreed, a lot of money has already been spent at the Fairgrounds and now the giant barn with a fancy name, Expo Center is rising out of the ground. Maybe if 15 years ago if the Co-op was actually interested in selling there would have been a slight chance of actually happening.

nm

The entire area is about 50 acres. That is way more than enough room so no need to pave the park.
    If you paved all of it you might have room for the above mentioned large vehicle parking. The fairgrounds are 435 acres.

Yea, but they aren't using the whole fairgrounds.

Anyhow, that is my idea for the area,

I vote we move TAFB. Just as viable of an idea.

I vote we move TAFB. Just as viable of an idea.
    This kind of non-sense isn't helpful.

Yea, but they aren't using the whole fairgrounds.

Anyhow, that is my idea for the area,
    At least half is used for equestrian. The barns themselves would take up most of that 50 acres judging from Google Earth images.

Blog Entries

This kind of non-sense isn't helpful.
    Neither is attempting to seriously discuss ideas that have NO chance of Ever happening as if it is real. Reasonable people know that they aren't shutting down the horse activity at the fairgrounds to move it to the coop. To be taken seriously, the discussion should actually be about things that are at least remotely possible. Otherwise, it becomes cartoonish.

It's in private hands and needs to remain in private hands. No need for us to go looking for more tax and spend projects.

On the same note...does the Coop still own the Bridgestone site? I was just down by there and quite a bit of the old plant has been torn down. I don't remember anything in that last press release about them giving it up too, but I assume they either plan to or already have.

Yeah, I don't believe it's sold yet, but they put the old tire plant up for sale a few years back. They decided to tear town and recycle the building so that there was a clean slate for whomever purchased it.

If it doesn't sell first, I wonder if after a few years of better weather for agriculture their fortunes will change and they'll revisit that site.

It's in private hands and needs to remain in private hands. No need for us to go looking for more tax and spend projects.

On the same note...does the Coop still own the Bridgestone site? I was just down by there and quite a bit of the old plant has been torn down. I don't remember anything in that last press release about them giving it up too, but I assume they either plan to or already have.
    They've sold part of it and have the rest for sale.

They've removed all the storage there and it no longer figures into any of their plans, other than to liquidate.

25. Default Re: Producers Coop

so, since the horse shows have brought in so much money for the fairgrounds - then THEY should not need to keep coming to MAPS for infrastructure, they already have a revenue source and apparently it is greater than anything in the city if the posts in this thread are true.

I don't see WRWA coming in asking for MAPS - they have their own revenue sources and pay for their own expansions and renos. But honestly I would approve any request if WRWA did ask for MAPS; but im sure they are seeing it like I do - we have our own revenue so we finance our own M&O. Fairgrounds needs to stop begging from the city/MAPS and instead use some of the 'the millions of dollars they bring annually' for their own M&O and PPE expansion.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information