1/18/14: Proposed $6 million housing complex
    10/15/13: OCURA issues RFP
    Links

Downtown Housing Summary
    Urban Project Summary
    County Assessor Record 1
    County Assessor Record 2
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ccflats2.jpg 
Views:	3868 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	7481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ccflats3.jpg 
Views:	3790 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	7482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ccflats4.jpg 
Views:	3748 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	7483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civic021215d.jpg 
Views:	1887 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	10176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civic021215c.jpg 
Views:	1867 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	10177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civic021215b.jpg 
Views:	1896 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	10178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civic021215.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	10179  

Default Re: NE Corner, Couch & Lee

This is great. That area definitely needs filling in. Even more obviously so once the new courthouse/police station are built.

I would also like to see the lot to the west developed too. That is, the area just south of Legacy and east of the Museum of Art, which is mostly parking now, along with a couple of inconsequential buildings. That space especially could use a beautiful new massive mid-rise building to frame Bicentennial Park.

I definitely agree with the infill as long as additional parking is provided. Those are the principal parking lots for people attending events at the Civic Center.

Ok, concerning the RFP...

It's great that they're considering the urban density of the area and good street level interaction. And it appears they're going to insist on quality materials, which is only appropriate as it will be next to the Civic Center and you wouldn't want to detract from that great historic structure by having some cheapie knockout building right next to it.

Now, would residential make sense? Well, it's a good area with other residential just to the north. But I'm not sure being right next to a courthouse and police station would make it the most desirable living spot (but who knows... maybe some folks would like that feature and feel safer). But I doubt the police want a residential of much height looking down over their building.

I'm hoping for a good sized structure -- at least 4 or 5 stories -- 7 or 8 stories would be even better. So I opt for office space.

Given the immediate area, it would be appropriate to have some city offices or administrative arms of arts/civic organizations in there, perhaps on the ground floor. A parking garage to be included on the site.

Don't attempt a mid-century mod look to complement the new police station (that would have some on this board flipping out). Instead go for something like the Norick Library. That is, a new building, but made with materials and coloration that allow it to blend in with older structures such as the Civic Center.

Default Civic Center Flats

As per Steve's article about a new proposed housing complex facing Civic Center Music Hall.

http://newsok.com/proposed-6-million...rticle/3924977

Default Re: Civic Civic Center Flats

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Civic Center Flats.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	6217

The proposed Civic Center Flats consists of 16 one-bedroom units and 16 two-bedroom units that will either be for rent or sale. The three-story buildings would be on the northeast corner of Couch Drive and Lee Avenue between the Civic Center Music Hall and Sycamore Square.

The developers are Ron and Jason Bradshaw, whose other projects include the Maywood Apartments, Second Street Lofts and Brownstones at Maywood Park in Deep Deuce. The team also includes Butzer Gardner Architects and Lingo Construction.
    Hans Butzer, project architect, said the designs were created in careful consideration of the Civic Center Music Hall.

“It's not about mimicking or competing with the Civic Center Music Hall, but about creating a really good urban edge,” Butzer said. “We're trying to do something very unique; simple, with timeless materials with masonry and brick. It will be nice place to walk and live.”

Default Re: Civic Center Flats

Pretty cool. Bringing more people into the arts district is definitely a good thing. I would like to see more infill on all sides of the Civic Center.

These are stark and unattractive, and will be built right up to the sidewalk without any apparent visual diversification. It looks like the worst of Soviet-era architecture, a block of blocks, only on a small scale.

I don't think OCURA's Cathy O'Connor is bowled over by it, whose only comment in Steve's article was "We think it's a good location for residential."

I'd rather have the additional parking.

It would be better if there was a pop of color.

From the RFP:

The general guideline for the selection of suitable exterior materials is
    that they work well together visually and are compatible with materials
    employed with other elements of the plan (paving, street furniture, etc.).

1. The number of exterior materials (excluding glass) should be kept
    to a minimum. Generally, no more than three materials should be
    considered.

2. Avoid using bright colors except as accent trim.

3. Bright luminous or fluorescent colors are not acceptable.

4. The use of reflective glass on the ground floor is prohibited.

5. The exterior cladding visible from the public street is to include a
    minimum of 80% brick or masonry veneer. Flat faces, unfinished
    concrete masonry blocks, and ribbed and corrugated metal panels
    are not acceptable.

6. EIFS may be used as accent or exterior cladding but will not
    exceed 20% of the total façade area. Use of cast stone in lieu of
    EIFS is encouraged.

7. Roof colors should be limited to cool tones with a high Solar
    Reflectance Index (SRI).

8. Exterior cladding employing galvanized steel, bright sheet metals,
    plastic, wood or asphalt shingles, or plywood siding is not
    acceptable. (Appropriate use of architectural metals is acceptable.)

Thanks for the info .

$6M / 32 = $187,500 per unit cost

Is the area right next to the Civic Center the appropriate place for affordable housing? Once built, these aren't going anywhere for at least 25 years. And I don't think we're desperate for development anymore like we were when Legacy was approved.

Of course these wont be sold for $187,000 per unit.

I for one think this is awesome. A lot of people already live in that area, arguably many hundreds, between Legacy, Montgomery, Sycamore Square, etc. I think those on this board forget that, and they forget how amazingly profitable the Legacy has been for its owners. Simply put, housing in this area works. With that in mind, this project raises the bar significantly for housing in this district. Great to see. Good street level interaction, etc.

15. Default Re: Civic Center Flats

Street-level residential units facing Couch Drive is a mistake, IMO. The street level is this area should be reserved for public/retail functions.

The OCURA RFP required proposals to be housing with no retail or other use requirement, which is a bit strange given how everything else on both sides of Couch is civic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The OCURA RFP required proposals to be housing with no retail or other use requirement, which is a bit strange given how everything else on both sides of Couch is civic.
    Are they just riding the residential boom? I think they'd regret it in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Are they just riding the residential boom? I think they'd regret it in a few years.
    I was just trying to remember the last time OCURA put out an RFP that wasn't specifically for housing.

I'm feeling lenient today, perhaps. I love the design because it does reflect the Civic Center as much as te architect denies it. It sounds like they were really frustrated w the OCURA demands but really wanted the development nonetheless.

I also don't get where Betts' affordable housing question comes from. This might be the priciest multifamily done in years. I agree w everyone that retail should be done on the street level on Couch.

The price per unit is always going to be higher in smaller complexes because they lack economies of scale.

For example, the RFP required structured/screened parking even though it's a pretty small development. And of course, fewer units to fund the common elements in general.

So, not sure the higher price tag means these will be luxury units necessarily.

Once we get a bunch of of these housing projects open for business it will be interesting to watch rents, both the general trend and how each property is priced in comparison to others.

Will the more inexpensive developments like Maywood Apartments be able to charge as much as Level, for example? Or will properties like the Metropolitan be able to get a premium?

Heretofore, there has been so much pent-up demand that virtually everything built has a waiting list and rents reflect that.

Love it

I echo the sentiments of those that love it. I also agree that retail should be done on the Couch Drive side.

The AVERAGE price is $187,500 per unit, but the project is divided equally between one- and two-bedroom units.

Yes, OCURA's RFP called for toned-down designs, but I think this is a mistake in several areas:
    - Nothing reflects or compliments the Civic Center's Art Deco design (Spartan - I'm not seeing it, so can you share what I'm missing?);
    - There is no interaction with the street; and
    - There is no attempt to soften the appearance (public art & landscaping used to be a development requirement, softened during the bust, and hopefully reinstated).

I'm no fan of the Legacy because of its stark appearance. This project - rather than seeking to emulate the Art Deco beauty of Civic Center (and other government buildings to the east) chose instead to repeat Legacy's blandness.

Looks like a 2014 take on Art Deco...a la the new Police HQ and Courts, OKCMOA (only the east half incorporating the old Circle Theatre is truly historic), and the Bicentennial Park redesign.

I agree with all of you though that Couch Drive should be made more vibrant than it currently is. The idea of a stylish oval around the Civic Center is an idea that needs to be made more emphatic.

You can play the averaging game w the price per unit of ANY development. They're all average numbers that don't reflect the full range.

Thread Information