Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Civic

1. Default Re: Civic Center Flats

Centre Theater, actually...

Default Re: Civic Center Flats

I don't know how I missed this originally, but glad to see more infill.

Thanks, got my wires crossed with the Tulsa indie theater.

Just to get back to my point, this design clearly reflects a lot of context and appropriateness for this district. Expect to see more of this boxy, mid-century vibe on the western side of downtown. You even see it prominently in Film Row projects like Slivr and the Hart Building. Sometimes it looks like PWA Art Deco a la Civic Center and OKCMOA, sometimes it looks more art moderne a la the new OCPD HQ, sometimes it looks more organic Art Deco like the Bicentennial Park redesign. On Classen the new Sunbeam bldg looks more Prairie School, even.

I think this is all showing us an emerging trend of architectural theme on the western side of downtown that is very interesting. I love how well this style builds off of OKC's real architectural legacy, however, the challenge is to incorporate openness, mixed-use, and street life into this style and I've yet to see that done well. Also it's worth noting that the elementary school is a major failed attempt to employ this architectural style successfully.

Sometimes McUrbandesign is just better at delivering a project that reflects what we want today such as street vitality, but I'd still like to see this more contextual style tweaked to be more successful within the context of today's urban design philosophy. It really is all about context.

Sexy.

This is going to be one of my favorite projects in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This is going to be one of my favorite projects in OKC.
    I agree. A little more color would be nice but I like the mid-century style. It's good to start seeing more diversity in the architectural style used for downtown projects.

Man I can't wait until all of these projects show up on Google maps and replace these surface parking lots. Someone should really screen shot those lots and start a thread of before and after.

8. Default Re: Civic Center Flats

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    These are stark and unattractive, and will be built right up to the sidewalk without any apparent visual diversification. It looks like the worst of Soviet-era architecture, a block of blocks, only on a small scale.
    If you look at the brick work more closely, you'll see that it actually matches that of the surrounding buildings...including the Civic Center. So this was actually an attempt to make it fit in instead of stick out like a sore thumb.

I applaud the way they aren't making it scream LOOK IM DIFFERENT. Not every building should be a rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    If you look at the brick work more closely, you'll see that it actually matches that of the surrounding buildings...including the Civic Center. So this was actually an attempt to make it fit in instead of stick out like a sore thumb.

I applaud the way they aren't making it scream LOOK IM DIFFERENT. Not every building should be a rainbow.
    I 100% agree. What OKC is really needs is a base level of 'sameness' so the truly unique structures can stand out. As for being mid-century, I'm not sure who started that classification for this project but I'm not seeing it. To me it looks like a toned down art-deco in an attempt to compliment the existing art deco civic buildings without competing with them.

10. Default Re: Civic Center Flats

Robert S Kerr was closed today in that area, are they starting work on this project? I wassn't able to tell from my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I 100% agree. What OKC is really needs is a base level of 'sameness' so the truly unique structures can stand out. As for being mid-century, I'm not sure who started that classification for this project but I'm not seeing it. To me it looks like a toned down art-deco in an attempt to compliment the existing art deco civic buildings without competing with them.
    Yes. You are correct. And I applaud them for that. The Civic Center and City Hall plaza is possibly the nicest public space architecturally speaking in OKC. It would be a travesty to mar it. This project appears to be an outstanding complement.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Robert S Kerr was closed today in that area, are they starting work on this project? I wassn't able to tell from my place.
    Doubtful. No permits have been issued, nor has it been approved by design. On a similar note, this was a response to an RFP, was this the winning bid, or just one of several proposals?

EDIT: I actually see now it was the only response to the RFP. But OCURA still has to say if it meets their guidelines to sell the land to the developer.

Yes, first step is that OCURA has to approve the application -- they'll decide in their meeting next month.

Then, it has to go to Downtown Design Review, and they probably won't file an application until after OCURA decides (which I expect they will).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, first step is that OCURA has to approve the application -- they'll decide in their meeting next month.

Then, it has to go to Downtown Design Review, and they probably won't file an application until after OCURA decides (which I expect they will).
    No doubt they will approve since it has the seal of approval from OKCTALK. That is the most difficult of all approvals. LOL

As someone who just posted a ranting thread complaining about the lack of condos and townhouses for sale in OKC, this project is a godsend! I really hope they decide to put these up for sale. At under 200K, I really think these would sell well and give for-sale housing a boost in the core.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    As someone who just posted a ranting thread complaining about the lack of condos and townhouses for sale in OKC, this project is a godsend! I really hope they decide to put these up for sale. At under 200K, I really think these would sell well and give for-sale housing a boost in the core.
    $6,000,000 ÷ 32 = $187,500

No way these things sell for less than $225k, and probably over $250k…

Some new renderings of this project from Butzer Gardner.

Difficult to see in the one site plan but the green units are 1 bedroom and the white are 2.

Nifty.

Any indication if these are for sale or rent?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Any indication if these are for sale or rent?
    That has yet to be announced.

They still have to go through a few approval processes at which time we'll learn more.

Didn't realize there are two rows.

So this must be where OCURA is partnering w Bradshaw as a land equity partner, as reported by Steve.

I suspect Bradshaw's interest in Maywood Park has shifted to this, since he's sold the lots on which he was going to build the Maywood Flats as well as the Maywood Apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I suspect Bradshaw's interest in Maywood Park has shifted to this, since he's sold the lots on which he was going to build the Maywood Flats as well as the Maywood Apartments.
    They sold off the existing Maywood building or the land for Maywood II?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    They sold off the existing Maywood building or the land for Maywood II?
    I think this is all separate from the Maywood Lofts on 2nd - which is a condo board structure.

Thread Information