Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I-35 in Edmond had so much potential. Bayer was supposed to build a Summit lifestyle center. Then, nothing. It is amazing how many upscale retail developments have either never materialized or were killed by rich people (NIMBYs). This area will now turn into cookie-cutter mid-upscale housing developments and strip malls. It is sad.
    exactly. it could have been a reasonably cool area if the City had put its foot down to stop the offset protests, but it's going to end up looking a lot like the intersection of West 15th Street x N. Santa Fe Ave. Awfully vanilla developments with no real density to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    I thought they were putting Condo's between the Hotel and Theatre. Honestly, unless they are high end apartments that sucks for that area imo.
    These are single family rental townhomes. 102 units with a clubhouse/pool. They should be very popular as there isn’t anything else like that in the area

I-35 in Edmond had so much potential. Bayer was supposed to build a Summit lifestyle center. Then, nothing.
    Didn't Edmond end up having to cancel that agreement last year because the developers never moved on it?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Didn't Edmond end up having to cancel that agreement last year because the developers never moved on it?
    Maybe so, but it is a microcosm of Edmond. There have been similar developments proposed for Spring Creek. And that got killed. There was another lifestyle center proposed for that I-35 area, as well.

Maybe so, but it is a microcosm of Edmond. There have been similar developments proposed for Spring Creek. And that got killed. There was another lifestyle center proposed for that I-35 area, as well.
    The double edged sword of the low bar of Edmond's citizen initiative process means a minority can off times disrupt or delay development. The reality is that folks never want a giant big development in their backyard. But that's not unique to Edmond, or else we wouldn't have a national housing crisis. IMO the biggest thing that will prevent a business coming to Edmond is the competition of the Memorial corridor. That's hard to compete with and Edmond doesn't have the traffic counts (especially the daytime) even if it's gotten better. Outback didn't move from Broadway to Memorial and Penn due to zoning or nimby's - I expect they did so because the financials made more sense.

What's funny is that I can easily find boards and groups (like several of the citizens groups) where people sit around and complain that all Edmond does is listen to the developers and let them build and do whatever they want (this obviously isn't true).

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    IMO the biggest thing that will prevent a business coming to Edmond is the competition of the Memorial corridor. That's hard to compete with and Edmond doesn't have the traffic counts (especially the daytime) even if it's gotten better. Outback didn't move from Broadway to Memorial and Penn due to zoning or nimby's - I expect they did so because the financials made more sense..
    I think with Edmond city limits pushing 100k, and growth on the north side of Oklahoma County and southern Logan County, I think there would be enough density and distance to make Covell to 15th along I-35 a corridor like Memorial and Penn. Half of the stuff is already built with a Sam's Club, Wal Mart, Showbiz Theatre, Hospitals, etc.

I think Outback moved to Memorial because there was a parcel and better "stopping" traffic along Memorial corridor for a chain restaurant. South of 33rd and Broadway is a difficult sell for any food place since traffic is flying by at 60 MPH and few in Edmond "back track" down to the south end to eat.

Also, Memorial with QSM, and an abundance of chain store shopping with easy access off the turnpike, Outback probably gets a lot of traffic from out of town visitors who don't venture far from what the "safe", yet predictable food fare.

There is a sign at 122nd and I-35 telling people to visit the new Dennys at I-35 and Covell..i think the sign has been there a while, but never see a Dennys at I-35 and Covell being built??? Anybody know anything about this? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    There is a sign at 122nd and I-35 telling people to visit the new Dennys at I-35 and Covell..i think the sign has been there a while, but never see a Dennys at I-35 and Covell being built??? Anybody know anything about this? Sorry if this has been discussed before.
    That wasn’t a dennys. That was a McDonald’s.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Dennys? Do you mean this at the Now Shuttered McDonalds
    image_2023-08-16_073104856.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I think with Edmond city limits pushing 100k, and growth on the north side of Oklahoma County and southern Logan County, I think there would be enough density and distance to make Covell to 15th along I-35 a corridor like Memorial and Penn. Half of the stuff is already built with a Sam's Club, Wal Mart, Showbiz Theatre, Hospitals, etc.

I think Outback moved to Memorial because there was a parcel and better "stopping" traffic along Memorial corridor for a chain restaurant. South of 33rd and Broadway is a difficult sell for any food place since traffic is flying by at 60 MPH and few in Edmond "back track" down to the south end to eat.

Also, Memorial with QSM, and an abundance of chain store shopping with easy access off the turnpike, Outback probably gets a lot of traffic from out of town visitors who don't venture far from what the "safe", yet predictable food fare.
    The Stuff along Kilpatrick Turnpike is the booming part of town right now, In 10-15 years, the same will be said for the stuff along the East West Connector

With Crest opening this week, do we think there will finally be movement on the parcels along Covell? I sure hope so!

We've seen the lots on Waterloo (Logan County) go like hot cakes. I think the lack of oversight has allowed them to beat out Covell for some of the developments.

That is likely because the lots on Waterloo (Logan County) are not considered an Edmond address, But rather a Guthrie address.

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    That is likely because the lots on Waterloo (Logan County) are not considered an Edmond address, But rather a Guthrie address.
    They're actually Edmond addresses, but Logan County.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    They're actually Edmond addresses, but Logan County.
    the point is they are not in Edmond so the Edmond city reviews and process don't apply

Google maps will make you think like that. But a Parcel Address Map Shows it is a Guthrie Address

a hotel developer purchased land behind starbucks / qdoba marcos building in late july ..

tracks to a possible springhill suites

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Google maps will make you think like that. But a Parcel Address Map Shows it is a Guthrie Address
    I don’t think the Waterloo area is currently in Guthrie annexed areas. They do have Edmond address/zip code.
    I think it’s is currently unincorporated areas so less permitting for building so easier and quicker

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    There is a Walmart Neighborhood Market at 164th and Western, one mile west of Crest at 15th and Santa Fe, both seem to be doing just fine.

The Crest at I-35 will pull from a much larger area outside of Edmond.
    Guthrie, Stillwater, and many others who travel to OKC from the north on the weekend will make it a stop for groceries and prices they can't find in their smaller communities.
    True. So, no wonder I recently got a circ in the mail from Crest with coupons for free Dr. Pepper and Zest crackers. Free junk food is not enough to entice me to go there. I would far sooner there be a new Crest in Stillwater, but Stillwater may never grow fast enough for a Crest. Maybe neither will Enid. Some do already. I know of one that already does.

No doubt, the big boom in the development of north Edmond will make it more desirable than ever before to work in Stillwater, such as being a professor at OSU, and live in Edmond.

Crest was packed on opening day yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    True. So, no wonder I recently got a circ in the mail from Crest with coupons for free Dr. Pepper and Zest crackers. Free junk food is not enough to entice me to go there. I would far sooner there be a new Crest in Stillwater, but Stillwater may never grow fast enough for a Crest. Maybe neither will Enid. Some do already. I know of one that already does.

No doubt, the big boom in the development of north Edmond will make it more desirable than ever before to work in Stillwater, such as being a professor at OSU, and live in Edmond.
    I think the real drawing area besides Edmond for this store is or will be, Guthrie, (south Logan county), Luther, Wellston, possibly Jones, maybe even Chandler for a once a month stock up. Also far north east Oklahoma city. I am talking about 122nd, Hefner, Britton rd and i 35 area or east. Lots of folks when you count these areas up. They have to shop some place. Just making it easier and having a nice store will bring them in. Sure it will take some folks away from Walmart on I 35 but these areas are growing so I figure the numbers for these stores will just go up.

A commercial development with 9 lots going before planning commission as corner of covell and sooner. Assume this will be great places for restaurants. Need some more out that way with the growth that’s happening. IMG_1957.jpeg

It will be interesting to see if development happens here, with the area around Showbiz continuing to be vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by juhobra View Post
    It will be interesting to see if development happens here, with the area around Showbiz continuing to be vacant.
    The area around showbiz continues to be vacant because I have heard the owners are asking astronomical prices that people are just not willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    The area around showbiz continues to be vacant because I have heard the owners are asking astronomical prices that people are just not willing to pay.
    What's frustrating from a planning stand point is the area around Showbiz has been cleared for out parcels of retail. A whole area of well developed trees south of Covell and west of Sooner are going away it would appear for this development.

Also, the preliminary plat for this strip center has 5 separate entrances to Covell and Sooner, one of those being the stoplight entrance at Fairfax, this seems overkill and congestion prone. I'm sure the residents of Augusta Farms are just thrilled about this development bumping up to their backyard when there is ample space at Showbiz and even across the street on the east side of Sooner next to Braums and the other retail.

Yes, I know each area of land is owned by a different developer, but this just seems like odd placement given the other options in the area.

I'm old enough to remember 2 lifestyle centers proposed for I-35 in Edmond. And Pepperidge Farms remembers.

What a shame.

Thread Information