Widgets Magazine

Thread: Broadband Coverage

Default Broadband Coverage

We relocated to [fake] Edmond--about 2 blocks outside the municipality itself a couple of years ago. We are generally pleased with the amenities. Broadband, however, is sorely lacking. If we want something other than DSL or over the air service, we have access to Cox and only Cox.

I've noticed OEC Fiber has been building out in Moore/Norman/SouthOKC.

I noticed new cable being laid last year in my neighborhood. Still, we only have one choice.

Now it seems rural broadband will be a huge push in the near term, and I can help but think that's a bit hilarious considering we are in the capitol city of the state and have exactly one broadband offering. Are there any broadband buildouts on the horizon for the underserved north side?

Default Re: Broadband Coverage

AT&T Fiber has been fairly aggressive in expanding in newer builds. However, I believe all of this is within city limits.

If you are outside city limits (Edmond or OKC) you may struggle to get much more than Cox due to existing demand and I am guessing the spacing of the houses isn't as profitable versus a densely populated neighborhood.

I have a coworker who lives halfway between Edmond and Guthrie, just north of Waterloo and can only get DSL. Not even Cox because of the location in rural Logan county.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    AT&T Fiber has been fairly aggressive in expanding in newer builds. However, I believe all of this is within city limits.

If you are outside city limits (Edmond or OKC) you may struggle to get much more than Cox due to existing demand and I am guessing the spacing of the houses isn't as profitable versus a densely populated neighborhood.

I have a coworker who lives halfway between Edmond and Guthrie, just north of Waterloo and can only get DSL. Not even Cox because of the location in rural Logan county.
    Yeah, that's not me. I'm in a fully developed neighborhood. The lots aren't tiny but not huge either.

It's frustrating to see Oklahoma investing heavily in rural broadband when those of us in suburbia are still waiting our turn.

I know that Starlink has steep start-up costs, but Project Kuiper from Amazon is expected to have a quick rollout beginning later this year. The cost for PK is expected to be much more affordable. Upscale new developments, in city suburbs, are some of the most underserved broadband locales due to costs of laying below-ground technology from scratch.

I live in a densely populated area of SW OKC, and have only Cox as an option. OECFiber aggressively built out into the area, but somehow managed to skip our addition. Several of us wrote to a rollout engineer at OECFiber but they couldn't even be bothered to reply. ATT Fiber is supposedly going in throughout all OKC eventually, but not my street, either. It's incredibly frustrating. Assymetric service with only 100Mbps upload is ridiculous. Cox won't push true fiber to the home demarc, using coax as the last mile because it's cheaper. Total joke.

A good friend of mine has OEC Fiber on the South side. I'll tell you that if they expand in my area, I'll switch immediately and never look back.

SE OKC got ATT fiber, and it is great! Nice to have an alternative to Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    A good friend of mine has OEC Fiber on the South side. I'll tell you that if they expand in my area, I'll switch immediately and never look back.
    I will change at the drop of a hat for symmetric 1Gbps service. OEC is literally *all around* us, just not in our addition. ATT Fiber *and* OEC Fiber are immediately east ( not even a block away per city maps), but our addition is in a proverbial black hole.

I would dearly love to rid myself of Cox forever.

I have had ATT fiber for a while now .. but we are moving ... so my options will be Cox or ATT DSL ....

so likely heading back to cox ..

10. Default Re: Broadband Coverage

I have a house on 5 acres rural near Lake of the Arbuckles. 2 years ago, Chickasaw Telecom put in Fiber. This is due to federal government funding specifically for rural areas. I was planning to get it but then ATT put a 5 g tower 2 blocks away from me. I now just use a hot spot when I need to, and it works well for me since I am not there that much. I am not sure how many people down there are hooked up to it. the timing of the new 5G tower was interesting though.

I find this so strange. Long time ago before much of Edmond got fiber or before it was really advertised, ATT brought fiber in my area just south of Waterloo. I could not understand them running it down Waterloo and then south. This was long before the additions south of me. I had some of the first access to it in the Edmond area. Do I have it no. I am older and retired and have 50 whatever its called. It will run streaming tv for me and basic internet. I could get 100 for the same price if they came and rewired my house. I would have to move heavy furnture. That is ok. I told them I am good with my 50. For those of you who are fighting to get it, its sad that people like me had access long ago and really did not need it Cox did run their line a few years ago. I think there are a few other options for me also.

Also I drive ATT batty with wanting to keep my old style land line. I've been told I am high maintenance and that ATT is losing money on me.

13. Default Re: Broadband Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Also I drive ATT batty with wanting to keep my old style land line. I've been told I am high maintenance and that ATT is losing money on me.
    Switch your land line to Walmart Basic Talk. I did that a few years ago. 12.50 a month which includes all the additional features. Super easy to do and kept my same phone number.

Is it the copper wire or the new system? I dont want to leave the copper wire system. I want to stay with att.

Any alt to cell phone service for phone service away from home? I would like to cut my cell service. and not have something to carry with me and worry about leaving dropping or having to carry that and pay for it. I mean like pay phones. I cannot seem to find any anymore. I just want to cut cell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Is it the copper wire or the new system? I dont want to leave the copper wire system. I want to stay with att.

Copper wire phones or "POTS" lines are on the way out. Dead tech.

They make cradles you can put a cell phone in at your house and it will provide a landline for you.

I do always find it interesting knowing exactly where the provider stops.

I used the FCC map to watch as ATT slowly got closer and closer to my house. The same day they opened service for fiber at my house I signed up and had it installed within two days.

Location Summary | FCC National Broadband Map

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    I do always find it interesting knowing exactly where the provider stops.

I used the FCC map to watch as ATT slowly got closer and closer to my house. The same day they opened service for fiber at my house I signed up and had it installed within two days.

Location Summary | FCC National Broadband Map
    thank you for the link i didn't know that existed ..

Thread Information