Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

They're not identical twins, but it has a look similar to the Cancer Institute in Tulsa. I do like it, though.

There is still some "lifestyle"/entertainment development planned for the NW corner of the area.

Well, the McDonalds has been approved. I guess this will be the first thing built here. A McDonalds or a Walmart being the first to anchor a large development, nothing new.

McDonald?s receives landscaping variance » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Oh ick, there goes the hood.

Haha, I actually don't really mind a McDonalds here, I just wish it would've been cooler like this one

This is a McDonalds in Dallas

but no, it is the same bland layout and design. It also sucks that it seems nearly every large scale development here in Oklahoma is either first anchored by some fast food joint or a Walmart. Thankfully that is changing as seen with the new Western and Memorial Chisholm Creek development with St. Anthony's building a nice facility there. Not saying this will become a shabby development, just pointing out some standards that seems to be

I just want to add a bit to this thread. Remember that there is possibility of a Cress going in on the corner of Sooner and Covell. Also there has been a bunch of residential lots approved for the Covell and Air Depot/Midwest blvd area just east of I-35. Now when those home do get built and occupied, the high school built, how many cars do you think will be coming through the area? Have to plan now for the traffic. I live east of the area, humm I'll soon no longer be out in the country.

I saw a bobcat me thinks, at Douglas and Covell this evening. I'll miss all these critters when the area develops.

Awesome new update!

Hotel positioning could offer serene view
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — A proposal by Covell I-35 Development LLC concerning a property exchange for the hotel-conference center site was discussed this week by the City Council. Covell/I-35 Development LLC wants to move the $25.5 million Hilton Garden Inn farther west, within the northwest corner of I-35 and Covell.

Assistant City Manager Steve Commons said originally the structure was designated to be on the east side of the property within view of Interstate 35 traffic.

“Maybe being on that side of the development wasn’t in the best interest of the hotel-conference center,” Commons said.

It would be close to the traffic flow of what could be some major big-box retailers, Commons said. Consideration is now being given to improving lifestyle development at different pace on the west side. The hotel-conference center would serve as an anchor at one end of the lifestyle center, Commons said.

A pond would be within sight of hotel guests from their windows instead of interstate traffic, he said.

“A conference center having this green space to the north may prove to be a nice synergy in a sense between the two developments,” Commons said.

A planning group out of Texas gave its opinion that relocated the site makes planning sense, Commons said.

Other development expected along Sooner Road and on Covell will not make the six-story hotel-conference center appear as isolated property, Commons said. The land area is half an acre larger than the previous site for the hotel, he said.

“We’ve given that to the appraiser. We should have a report back in early March,” and hopefully we can have documents for you to consider at your March 24 meeting to deal with the exchange of property and how that should be handled.”

Mayor Charles Lamb said this would enable people staying at the hotel-conference center to walk through the common area to retail.

“It will be a better setting for that kind of event.”

- See more at: Hotel positioning could offer serene view » Local News » The Edmond Sun

This is nice. The hotel will now overlook a pond that will be built instead of the highway. New big box stores w/ new national retailers will also come to this area with a possible lifestyle center type development in the works. This could be really significant!!!

What they need to do now is widen Covell from Air Depot to Coltrane to six lanes, do the same with Sooner from Danforth to Coffee Creek. Widen the highway to six lanes to Waterloo, add service roads along this portion of the highway. The service roads here should be one way, three lanes each way, dedicated right turn, dual left turn, heavily landscaped, removed height limit for buildings. Buy ROW for a new highway loop around Edmond and N OKC from Waterloo to Portland and Kilpatrick. The also need to buy ROW for a commuter rail line going through here as well as a park and ride station. let the bashing begin with the anti car and highway folks

What's happening

• McDonalds
    • World Class Sports Complex
    • 6 Story Hilton Hotel

What's Likely

• Braums
    • Large Upscale Movie Complex
    • Entertainment Complex including: laser tag/arcade, alchol/drink lounge, sports bar(which would likely be part of the movie theatre)
    • Lifestyle center on the west side
    • various big box retailers(perhaps some that aren't in the OKC market yet)
    • tons of new restaurants and smaller stores
    • Crest Fresh Market
    • Walmart Neighborhood Market in the area
    • New Convenience Store

Property for hotel nearing close
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The City of Edmond and Covell I-35 Development LLC are about to close on a property exchange for a hotel-conference center site, said Janet Yowell, executive director of the Edmond Economic Development Authority.

“We are anticipating an October or November groundbreaking for the hotel and conference center,” Yowell told the EEDA board Tuesday morning.

The Edmond City Council in October approved a proposal by Covell I-35 Development LLC concerning a property exchange for the hotel-conference center site. Covell/I-35 Development LLC is developing infrastructure for the $25.5 million Hilton Garden Inn farther west, within the northwest corner of I-35 and Covell.

Originally, the structure was designated to be on the east side of the property within view of Interstate 35 traffic.

The 6-story hotel was originally planned to be on the east side of the property within view of Interstate 35 traffic. Consideration was given to improving lifestyle development on the west side. Developers plan to bring national retailers at the site.

“Now that the infrastructure is in, I think once we get the hotel-conference center coming out of the ground and seeing that vertical activity, there will be more interest,” Yowell said. “The same with Summit Sports. They are looking at a November time-frame for ground breaking.”

A movie theater group has shown interest in developing a 150,000-square-foot complex, Yowell said. They would like it to be near activity generated by Summit Sports, Yowell said. However, the theater group has not determined an east or west location on Covell and I-35.

There would be theater, a laser tag and arcade, a sports bar downstairs, a restaurant and alcohol service available upstairs, Yowell said.

“That is one we have been talking to for a couple of months now,” Yowell said.

Braum’s has shown interest in the southwest corridor of I-35 and Covell as well as a gas and convenience store, Yowell said.

So far a building permit has not been pulled by McDonald’s to build on the southwest corner of I-35 and Covell, Yowell said. The city council approved the McDonald’s site plan in January.

“The southwest corner is always going to be big box and fast-food development, Yowell said.

In October, the community gathered to celebrate the Francis Tuttle Business Innovation Center, 2824 Progressive Drive. The 38,000-square-foot building is near the northeast corner of Covell Road and Interstate 35.

- See more at: Property for hotel nearing close » Local News » The Edmond Sun
    I'm very glad they decided to place the hotel away from the highway to give people a better and more scenic view. This should be a great development. Hopefully they can tie into the trails system and/or expand it out here and build a pedestrian bridge over the highway and another one over Covell with LED lighting.

I'll post some renderings of how I think the service roads should be designed. The interchanges like the one on Main Street are cool, but I hope ODOT doesn't do that for here. What we need is this highway designed like North Dallas Tollway(NDT). Right now, have one way service roads added at 3 lanes each way, have the entries and exits every mile reversed like NDT with Texas Turnarounds at every major street, dual left turn and dedicated right turn. I don't want bike lanes on the service roads, but on Covell and Sooner that would be great. No round-a-bouts except inside the developments. Hopefully they synchronize the lights as well with the plethora of traffic lights they have planned for the area.

that description sounds identical to a Warren type theatre..

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    A Warren Theatre would be cool. It would be kind of the same how Warren is placed between Norman and OKC. Stillwater is a bit further out, but I could see this becoming a night-out for people in Stillwater.

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    Hmm!

The Crest is still in the works from what I've heard.

Here's the Neighborhood Market I mentioned about awhile back:

EDMOND, Oklahoma -
    Homeowners in several additions near Covell and Coltrane are upset about a proposal to develop the Northwest corner of the intersection.

Tucked behind a wooded area at Covell and Coltrane sits an addition with more than 200 homes. The homeowners there say this is their slice of paradise, but they are not happy about a new neighbor that could be moving in within months.

“We don't want it, it's going to cause problems, it's going to cause security issues and it's going to ruin our beautiful way of life,” homeowner Kelly Black explained.

Black is not alone. She and a coalition of dozens of angry homeowners in the area say they will fight plans for a big grocery story.

An attorney for the land owner told News 9 that the current plan calls for a 42,000 square foot grocery store. The developer also plans to put in gas pumps. The homeowners met with the developer recently and worry the 24/7 operation of the store will cause major traffic congestion and create safety concerns for the residential neighborhood.

“Currently it's a four-way stop," said Black. "You know, one lane each way, and the traffic over the years, I’ve lived here twenty years in this addition, has gotten increasingly busy.”

Black cannot understand how the current road will handle any additional traffic that could come with the addition of the store. The homeowners association met with developers recently where they saw pictures of the plan. According to many of them, the drawings look like a Neighborhood Walmart store, but due to a non-disclosure agreement, the developer will not confirm or deny if that is the store.

Attorney Randel Shadid is representing the land owner and told News 9 he believes the project will ultimately be approved, because the nearly 10-acre lot has been zoned for commercial purposes for many years.

“We're looking at some of the concerns of the neighbors and trying to address some of those before we actually file the site plan,” Shadid said.

The homeowners still have major concerns, including the value of their properties and the view from their back yards.

“They're going to have a completely open area to the parking lot, the gas pumps and the grocery store, the pharmacy, the truck deliveries, everything that comes along with a 42,000 square foot grocery store,” Black said.

Shadid estimated it would be months before any ground-breaking happens on the site. A spokesperson for the City of Edmond said the plans for the development of the lot were still in the early stages.

- Edmond Neighbors Upset Over Potential Grocery Store Site - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |
    Now let me say, regardless of whether or not it is a Neighborhood Market, the rendering looks very nice.

I just find it funny about this world class development going on here:

McDonalds: We're in!

Walmart: We're in!

City planners: Yeap, this is all shaping up very nicely!!!!!!!!

Now, at this point I'm not going to say whether or not I'm for or against this development, but this comment has to be the most stereo typical Edmondnite crap out there

“We don't want it, it's going to cause problems, it's going to cause security issues and it's going to ruin our beautiful way of life,” homeowner Kelly Black explained.
    "we don't want it" "it's going to cause problems and security issues".... this is what irritates me the most. baseless comments that aren't backed up by anything but opinions. Now if this is a Walmart Neighborhood Market, then I can completely understand this ladies statements, but what if it is Crest? What about Tom Thumb? What about Reasors? Whole Foods? We don't anything about this development yet other than it is a mid-sized grocery store(smaller than most full sized Walmarts, Tom Thumbs, Crests etc) and where it is going. We don't know the site plan, haven't seen the full renderings, and already we have people complaining about lower property values and increased crime. This is absurd.

But boooooy I bet you if a church were to build here, it'd be praised. Even though it would increase traffic significantly and pay no taxes, people would drool over it.

14. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

people should do a little bit more research before you buy your slice of paradise next to zoned commercial. Don't feel sorry for you.

Also, every other suburb has those kinds of people. Not just edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    people should do a little bit more research before you buy your slice of paradise next to zoned commercial. Don't feel sorry for you.

Also, every other suburb has those kinds of people. Not just edmond.
    yeah, well, Edmond has no shortage of "those kinds of people", I'll put it that way. I have family that has developed projects in other suburbs in Dallas, Houston, SA, Fresno, KC, and I've heard while there is some opposition, there is nowhere near the amount of antidevelopment efforts there as there is here in Edmond.

Also, in defense of their case, I don't believe that area was zoned commercial when the houses were built and they fought that change as well. Could be wrong on that, but that is what I remember.

The story says the land has been zoned commercial for years, so I have less sympathy. I get more upset when someone changes residential or office into commercial. I do think the homeowners have the right to have their concerns addressed, such as traffic capacity, retaining walls, trees, etc. That's the nice thing about this process, is it does force developers to be part of the neighborhood, and not just bulldoze and throw up an ugly shopping center. Look at what used to happen in Edmond. Kelly West shopping center, 33rd and Blvd, etc. Very ugly, blah, development with massive parking lots. I'm not real thrilled with how 15th and I-35 turned out either, but it's nicer.

17. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

I wouldn't say there is anti development. Just wanting quality development. And to some Walmart isn't quality, which is fine. As far as traffic covell is about to be widened through here anyway so that will squash/create traffic regardless.

As far as 15th and i35, I think that area will pop soon now that both hospitals are up and running. I do think the exit ramps need to be reconfigured though but don't know how due to access roads being 2 way streets

Looking at history, yeah, it looks like it's been zoned commercial for 24 years...

Council approves extension | News OK

Now, I will say, in the homeowners' defense, if you look at the city minutes and the news stories, they've never outright opposed commercial construction... they've always just wanted some reassurances and concerns addressed, each time the PUD was extended. Shadid always responded that the PUD wasn't the time to address these concerns, and that they would be addressed when a specific site plan was created (which seems to be the time now).

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    The story says the land has been zoned commercial for years, so I have less sympathy. I get more upset when someone changes residential or office into commercial. I do think the homeowners have the right to have their concerns addressed, such as traffic capacity, retaining walls, trees, etc. That's the nice thing about this process, is it does force developers to be part of the neighborhood, and not just bulldoze and throw up an ugly shopping center. Look at what used to happen in Edmond. Kelly West shopping center, 33rd and Blvd, etc. Very ugly, blah, development with massive parking lots. I'm not real thrilled with how 15th and I-35 turned out either, but it's nicer.
    This, we can agree on.

I wouldn't say there is anti development. Just wanting quality development. And to some Walmart isn't quality, which is fine. As far as traffic covell is about to be widened through here anyway so that will squash/create traffic regardless.

As far as 15th and i35, I think that area will pop soon now that both hospitals are up and running. I do think the exit ramps need to be reconfigured though but don't know how due to access roads being 2 way streets
    we'll see. I hope you're right. Reasors is still fighting to open up a grocery store at Spring Creek. That is a quality development.

Like I said, if this a Walmart, then I can definitely understand their concerns, but perhaps we should wait and see what is proposed before people get pissed about it.

btw... Edmond is looking at doing a complete reconfiguration of the service roads, making them one way, 2-3 lanes each direction, rebuilding all the interchanges along i35. A service road extension is being looked at as well. This study is being funded from surplus tax revenue. I created a thread about that.

Just like every major development in the OKC area it has to be anchored by a McDonalds and a Wal-Mart.

It doesn't look too bad from the renderings though. Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets have come quite a ways from what they used to be. You are right though, Edmond NIMBY's will oppose any development other than possibly a Lifechurch.

23. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Fairfax golf course is in the process of building a new #18 hole west/NW from its current spot, where the tee box starts just west of #17 green and curls around and finishes right by the clubhouse. they are moving the range to the east.

I dunno if it is part of this master plan on sooner and covell but that itself is freeing up a lot of space for that NW corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    we'll see. I hope you're right. Reasors is still fighting to open up a grocery store at Spring Creek. That is a quality development.

Like I said, if this a Walmart, then I can definitely understand their concerns, but perhaps we should wait and see what is proposed before people get pissed about it.
    I think Reasors has backed out. I believe right now its Sooner Investment trying to find a grocery tenant to anchor the development. There is no fighting with the city or neighbors at the moment because Sooner hasnt been able to secure a lease/commitment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I think Reasors has backed out. I believe right now its Sooner Investment trying to find a grocery tenant to anchor the development. There is no fighting with the city or neighbors at the moment because Sooner hasnt been able to secure a lease/commitment yet.
    That is unfortunate. The OKC area could really use a grocery store like that. People need to realize that development is part of living in a growing community. If they want 100% peace and quiet all hours of the day and no traffic they need to move far out into rural territory where there is no chance of there ever being development. The Spring Creek area as well as the Covell corridor has houses going up like weeds. Its inevitable that there will eventually be more retail. Residents need to accept that fact.

Thread Information